Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for my living room.
Jimena Campos
December 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello! I could not attach pictures to a previous post. I hope this time it goes OK. I just painted my living room and I need help to decide on several things:
1. a color for sofa coverings. I will have them custom made. I need a color that covers spills, etc because I have a 7 year old son who is not very careful with things. I just painted the whole room and chose that color blue for the feature wall so that it would go with the painting hanging behind the sofa. All of the colors of this part of the living room have to go well with the dining furniture that has this petrol color. I think I put pic number 3 with a close up of the colors.
2. I would also like to put some curtains but I will post more pictures later of both windows cause I just realize I don't have any.

3. I have 5 nice paintings that I would like to put on the wall behind the dining room. Will take pictures of it as well and post them later. Not sure if I have to display them on a line or make an arrangement with them and if so, which way to hang them please!

I have a console for the entrance with a mirror. It´s in wood, dark brown. Usually it goes to the right of the entrance door we see it in picture number 1. You can see there is a rectangular hatch? (not sure of the name) on the wall. I have been thinking I can put a mirror (custom made) over that wall to cover this because the mirror for the console is the one that you can see in picture number 2 and too small to cover it.If so: ideas for the frame of the mirror?

General things: We can't put carpets because my son is allergic to dustmites and this a big no no in that case. THe floor is marble in a shade of gray. I like very simple things. This appartment is in Lebanon the Middle East and I am Costa Rican so I like colors and very, very simple things.
THanks a lot! Will come back later with pictures of the paintings and of the windows.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
A pettern will hide spills better than a solid. It would be good to get some material protection that repells liquids. I woudl go for a bright green or red pattern, I like the painting on that wall and the color too. Do you have others that could be grouped with it, I think it would look goor paired with a few slamer paintings.
December 14, 2012 at 11:09pm   
Manon Floreat
I really like that blue accent wall with the painting, too. Nice pairing! I was thinking of apple green for the sofas. It would look great with the cobalt blue wall, pick up the green in that cool painting and reference the cushions of the dining room chairs.

I would put the console on the wall opposite the front door and top it with some more of your art. To the right of the door, I'd hang another painting. On the wall to the left of the door would be a good place for a mirror. It will face the wall of windows and reflect the light.

Since you have a green thumb, think about a tiered plant stand near the windows to keep them happy.

Regarding stains on the furniture; I recommend that baby boy eat/drink at the dining room table until he can be more careful. That's old school but very effective when it comes to protecting your things.

I'm looking forward to more photos of your art. With your appreciation of color, I think this space holds a lot of promise.
December 14, 2012 at 11:47pm   
Jimena Campos
Many thanks Manon Floreat and houssaon. I really appreciate your help. jSomeone had suggested to do the sofas coverings in rusted red. I think it could be a lot specially with the blue wall? I don't know. I really feel intimidated by it.
Okay here are the paintings and the window photos. What about curtains for it? Colors? Pattern? This is very intimidating to be honest. THanks a lot!
December 15, 2012 at 3:18am   
Jimena Campos
here are two more pictures
December 15, 2012 at 3:32am   
inkwitch
Now that we know what those 5 paintings are, definitely use them in a group. Space them in a line across the back wall of the dining room. The chairs look to be turquoise. Next to the cobalt, they look dul. Paint them yellow or apple green.
December 15, 2012 at 4:00am   
Manon Floreat
You're welcome, Jimena. You have a really great space. For the windows I would do simple white linen panels or a sky blue to match your wall color. Similar to the photo below. It's a seamless effortless look.

I wouldn't do red for the sofas, but would use it as an accent here and there. You've already got a bit of it in your painting and it's also referenced in your terracotta pots, as well. I would work with the blue and green family and add colors from the plum and red family as accents. I agree with inkwitch that the dining chairs could have more oompf. How about plum?

I think those paintings are a bit to small to handle the scale of the dining room wall. Unless, you're going to group them with other pieces and make a gallery wall. That would be neat looking!

Here's a collage of the colors I can see working in your space. Hope it's helpful.
December 15, 2012 at 12:17pm     
orangecamera
I agree with green for the sofa. Is there a green that's in the picture above it AND in one or more of the 5 pictures?

I would stick with all solid colors, nothing patterned except your pictures. Then each piece makes a statement on its own.
December 15, 2012 at 1:02pm     
Jimena Campos
Well, thanks everybody! I am so happy about how the ideas are flowing and also excited about making the changes to the room. WHat I like the most it's that they don't have to be enormous and it gives the room a simple feeling Nevertheless I feel scared about the apple green for the sofa coverings. It's a color I don't look good in. If I sit in them I am going to look sick. THe plum for the chair looks wonderful! I will do some chairs coverings not to have to paint them for the moment being. I am good with a sewing machine so I will make them myself as well as the curtains over the holidays and will post some pictures then. I am planning on going little by little. Anyone with another idea for the sofa color?
December 16, 2012 at 11:25am   
More Discussions
How to lighten up simple dark Guest Bathroom??
Ok here we go with the dark purple/gray paint...AGAIN....it's...
Bathroom disaster
To me, this is a discombobulated mess. (Glass shower...
Transition from one hardwood to another
When we built our house, we installed Brazilian Cherry...
I feel like something is missing.... Need some help!
I feel feel like this bedroom is missing something!...
Canoe
I have a cabin with 7 ft ceilings. Is it ok to hang...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.