Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
If I took this Baker Dining set ...
azelizabeth
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
If I took this baker set... can I still make my combined living/dining room transitional and sophisticated. Or does it limit me to traditional? My end tables are dark java, my sofa is clean lines and blue gray velvet, and I was hoping to hang silk/satin type panels in medium gray or gray blue. The other tables I was considering were the ethan allen hathaway and the thomasville spellbound. I could save $$$ with this set...but in the end... will I regret not getting the room the way I want it? Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
azelizabeth
One more thing... that dining room is not mine... so ignor all in it but the Baker set.
December 15, 2012 at 6:50AM   
charleee
If you could find fabric to match your sofa, you could recover the dining chair seat cushions and they'd be a match and tie everything together. I think you'll be fine.
December 15, 2012 at 6:53AM   
azelizabeth
I like the style of the other tables better...but they aren't made as well as this set. So... there is my dilemma.
December 15, 2012 at 7:08AM   
PRO
Ariane B. Interiors
One good way to have this set look more transitional and match your existing furniture is to buy 2 chairs to put at each end of the table. Go for upholstered chars with same color scheme and fabric, you'll get rid of the too traditional look of this set and will just need to get a few accessories, art, to unify it. Try World Market if you are on a budget.
December 15, 2012 at 7:12AM     
orangecamera
Looks like a fantastic table, and hard to find one in such good shape that opens up that large. I'd say take it! If you want to un-traditional-ize it more at some point, you could....get different chairs, recover the chairs as olldbobbi suggests...paint the chairs...
December 15, 2012 at 7:15AM     
azelizabeth
Thanks. Do you think in the end I am better off with a Baker set than a new Thomasville or Ethan Allen set?
December 15, 2012 at 7:15AM   
charleee
orangecamera is right, it's the chairs, not the table, that are throwing things off. But....the table looks stained at one end, is it, or is it the light that's making it look that way?
December 15, 2012 at 7:21AM   
orangecamera
I think anything old and built well is better than what's being produced today. Sad but true.

Plus, there's something about this one that's making you think about it. If you're like me, you've seen a lot of dining room tables and said to yourself "no way!". Take it home, live with it for a while. If it turns out you made a mistake, you can always sell it and buy a different one.
December 15, 2012 at 7:24AM   
azelizabeth
It has a small spot...but in person not anywhere near as large as it appears on photo. Not sure how much that would be to repair. Not a huge eye sore in person. I had my eye on these two and now this popped up and it would save me thousands.
December 15, 2012 at 7:26AM   
charleee
If it will save you thousands, it's perfect. Perfect!
December 15, 2012 at 7:27AM     
orangecamera
An idea of chairs that might look nice with that table and your style:
December 15, 2012 at 7:30AM   
orangecamera
buy. it. now. :)
December 15, 2012 at 7:33AM     
azelizabeth
Love those chairs... who makes them?
December 15, 2012 at 7:34AM   
azelizabeth
All of you are wonderful. Thank you so much for all of the input. Still thinking... seeing cost of moving and such.
December 15, 2012 at 8:34AM   
sondramartina
Someone said if you don't like it you can easily sell it. I don't agree. It is not easy to sell used furniture .If you have a good plan what kind of chairs and what kind of look you are going to achieve than buy it.Good luck.
December 15, 2012 at 8:44AM   
azelizabeth
I know about selling. I had two crappy couches and a terrible dining with lavendar chairs.... it sold. I have two great upholstered like new contemporary chairs... not one call. He wants $1,500 for all pieces, 6 chairs, buffet and china. It is in excellent condition except for spot on edge of table. Still debating and checking on things... I love...love... love the china and the table. The chairs are what make me doubt a tad.
December 15, 2012 at 8:50AM   
yvonnecmartin
I suggest that you buy the set, recover the chairs as suggested and buy new ones for the head and foot of the table. If eventually you don't like the chairs, replace them with a clear conscience. You will still have the table, buffet, and china cabinet. A wisely placed runner will hide the problem in the table top until you get that fixed.
December 15, 2012 at 9:02AM     
sondramartina
I would not rush. He is not gonna sell it soon , It is not cheap. I would not give him 1500.If he really. Needs to get rid of it he will have to go low with the price. Do you like table legs?
December 15, 2012 at 9:06AM   
azelizabeth
This is as far as I could get him down unless I didn't take the buffet, then he would go to $1,200.
December 15, 2012 at 9:09AM   
sondramartina
I don't know where you live but I went to see very similar set (table and 6 chairs ) and he was gonna sell it for 300 (Toronto area)
December 15, 2012 at 9:13AM   
azelizabeth
I am in Scottsdale, AZ. $1,500 is for table, 6 chairs, buffet and China cabinet. If I wanted to make the table in top shape... it would be about $800 for entire top. China and buffet are impeccable.
December 15, 2012 at 9:27AM     
Jack Rice
The set of Baker furniture is very, very expensive new, and an excellent example of Chippendale style. I recently looked at a set of red lacquered Chinese Chippendale chairs from Baker that were $8000 each. It would be worth buying even if you were to turn around and sell it. Check out similar pieces on Ebay. If you want an eclectic look I would break up the set for use in a open plan living/dining area. Use the china hutch as a bookcase in the living area. If you have room try the buffet in the entry way as a hall table. Clean lined Asian pieces work well the Chippendale furniture and modern pieces if you are going for an eclectic look. I have done a couple of interiors that blend traditional styles with modern pieces quite successfully.
December 15, 2012 at 10:19AM     
michigammemom
The entire set is a steal at that price.
December 15, 2012 at 10:19AM     
judianna20
You can bid on this table on e-bay. Take a look at the style and the OPENING bid !!!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2936-Baker-Historic-Charleston-Mahogany-Dining-Room-Table-Excellent-condition-/140896349391

As a matter of fact check out all the Baker listings! You have a steal and if this is your style, go for it. I have two Baker pieces that I spent a lot of money for and I am so glad I did. Beautiful furniture and beautiful quality.
December 15, 2012 at 10:54AM   
judianna20
P S for anyone who has thought of laying an Oriental rug on top of wall to wall, don't. This picture tells it all.
December 15, 2012 at 10:57AM   
sacapuntaslapioz
get the baker set. it has character. paint the chairs. upholster them in grey zebra stripes or a surprising color such as purple with your grey color. break down the set. use the sideboard with the table and the hutch piece somewhere else with books.

[houzz=River Oaks Residence]
[houzz=Dine and Dazzle]
[houzz=Olstad Drive Residence Dining Room]

hang a beautiful lamp. paint the ceiling in a surprising color and watch the room come to life. mass made pieces lack charactyer and there are not well made.
December 15, 2012 at 11:13AM   
azelizabeth
Thank you all so much, it really has helped. While I was almost set to buy the Hathaway table and chairs, I can't justify $4,800 for just table and chairs and another 3k for a china cabinet, when this set is available. With the cost savings I will definitely put wood on the floors.
December 15, 2012 at 11:47AM     
charleee
azellzabeth - that's my remodeling budget for this house and 3 more :(( I think you made the right choice!

judyg - what picture????
December 15, 2012 at 1:39PM   
hollybar
Definitely buy the Baker set. What a deal!
December 15, 2012 at 2:34PM   
orangecamera
So? Did you buy it?
December 15, 2012 at 8:03PM   
azelizabeth
Technically....yes. I pay and meet the movers at 3 tomorrow. I can't believe I almost passed and paid triple for just a table and chairs. Now I have to figure out where to put it. I may have to turn the couch around and put the breakfront in the living room and the buffet in the dining room. I will have less furniture to buy that way. I am definitely putting a wood floor down with the savings. The more I view the details the more I like it.
December 15, 2012 at 8:24PM     
Elyn's Library
That is a major FABULOUS price for the Baker set. I hope you got it.

For a comparatively quick and simple upgrade, as others have suggested, recovering the current chairs and getting upholstered host chairs in a similar lush fabric that goes better with your sofa would almost instantly "update" the set.
December 15, 2012 at 8:25PM     
Elyn's Library
Yippeee! Congratulations!
December 15, 2012 at 8:28PM   
azelizabeth
Funny as I look at chairs up close and compare them to the ones I almost bought I realize how nice they really are. So much detail. I have no idea where to start with fabric and a chandelier but I am sure it will come together.
December 15, 2012 at 8:34PM   
orangecamera
Congratulations!
December 15, 2012 at 9:10PM   
orangecamera
oooh, when you go to pick up the table, see if the owner has table pads and/or tablecloths.
December 15, 2012 at 9:11PM   
azelizabeth
The table has 3 leaves and table pads all in cases. I must remember the little keys for the china cabinets. Also this set is only 6 miles fro. My home so the delivery distance is short. He offered to sell the rug but I am passing on that.
December 15, 2012 at 9:24PM     
orangecamera
Wow, your deal is getting better and better!
December 15, 2012 at 9:39PM   
azelizabeth
I wanted to extend my heartfelt thanks to so many of you that gave me input. I can't believe I almost passed this set up. It arrived today and it is beautiful. The small spot in the photo is not really visible. Definitely does not need the $800 refinishing that I thought it did. Now the only issue I have is it is almost too much stuff. I will have to think about what to move. The china cabinet is so gorgeous as is the buffet. The girls and I sat in the living room tonight and we agreed it added life to the totally unused room. I added my deceased grandmother's 80 year old silver tea set on the buffet and it was stunning. Now I am not sure if I will switch directions a tad on colors...but I am def. putting the wood flooring in given the $$$ I saved on buying this set over a new. I want to really find a spectacular chandelier to replace the builders grade 1996 one that is there. Hopefully moving the light over is not a major task. Thanks again... your input made a difference for my girls and I.
December 16, 2012 at 7:52PM     
charleee
azelizabeth, congratulations! I'm happy that you're happy, and I just love a happy ending!
December 17, 2012 at 4:01AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.