Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Color Help
metro3947
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, All,
I'm trying to choose a new siding color for my house. The most recent image is attached, but we have replaced the evergreens with smaller boxwoods. Included are our color options, we had to go with vinyl due to some structural considerations. The white trim would remain. I have been considering keeping it white with a black window box under the window above the bay window, and one above the double window on the right. However I'm not sure if white is a good color for this house, I need help finding what would work best for this house.
Thank you for all of your help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
metro3947
I am worried about a dark color making the house look smaller.
December 15, 2012 at 8:26am   
Dar Eckert
Cypress would be lovely with the white trim as would Flagstone.
December 15, 2012 at 8:32am   
PRO
Faith Cosgrove (TSRG)
It's all in the details. Roof line fascia can be dark to exaggerate the roof as heavier. Window casings can be white and become a bolder architectural detail and larger unit. Body can be a dark color which creates crisp contrast and detail. Front door color can be unique as a detail like the home jewelry.
December 15, 2012 at 8:48am   
yvonnecmartin
You need to consider the roof color in your siding selection.

The white is traditional and classic. Does that suit your indoor decor?

A red house can be attractive, but are you ready for that?

Personally I would pick one of the greys, probably driftwood. With white, black, and red accents it would look great.
December 15, 2012 at 9:12am   
Arlen Dau
Hard to explain, but when I first saw the picture of your home - yellow came to mind. However the roof would need to be darker to make it work.
December 15, 2012 at 9:31am   
mmilos
A pale yellow would work with the roof color with white trim. Then paint the front door a dark charcoal gray.

EDIT: Looking at the color samples, I think Linen would look nice with your roof color. White looks too bright and stark.
December 15, 2012 at 10:30am   
mmilos
I agree I wouldn't go dark. It makes the house hotter in the summer too.
I think you want something light and in the cooler tones to coordinate with your roof - but it needs to be lighter than your roof color, IMO. Sterling or Victorian Gray if not too similar to roof color would look nice too. I'd stay away from the warmer beige, maple and creams since you have a cool tone gray roof.

Sand looks like it would work too since it has more of a grayish undertone.
December 15, 2012 at 10:40am   
metro3947
Hi, All,
Thank you for all of your ideas! Sticking with the lighter cool tones make sense. I think that a darker roof would make this much easier.
Thank you again!
December 17, 2012 at 7:18am   
victorianbungalowranch
The lighter colors tend to hold up better in vinyl--dark colors can absorb heat and fade, plus it has a large expansion/contraction ratio. I think a variety of soft colors other than white can look nice with white trim, or light tones with painted trim.

With the light gray roof, the cooler tones rather than beige might look best, maybe with a hint of warmth, but almost anything could work depending on what you do with the trim and the door. I rather like the linen, flagstone and cypress colors, maybe even sand because it is on the yellow side. The greys probably won't contrast enough with the roof.

You could also go with a low-contrast color scheme, like flagstone body, grey trim and a coral door, or linen, light sage green trim, darker sage green door--very 1940s. Or something very classic, like white siding, light to medium gray trim and the red door. I would also consider painting the storm door a coordinating or matching color. I would keep black and dark colors to a minimum--perhaps only the innermost sash if you have wood windows, maybe the front door.

I don't think a high contrast scheme would look good because of the placement of the windows--very tight to the gable, and on different levels. I think the facade would look more balanced if you added a period appropiate simple gable canopy supported by brackets to balance the heaviness of the bay window and add some detail in the gap between floors. Something assymetrical, perhaps with a bit of curve even is very period for this sort of house. The spacing is tight, so maybe an awning or metal curved canopy would work. Windowboxes may look nice, but I think black is too dark.

You might like to use an online color visualizer to pick the tone. Some, like Sherwin Williams, already have buildings loaded or you can try loading a picture of your own. Then pick a color close to the sample and play with it a bit. Even if the house style is different (You have a simple Tudor cottage--close relative of the Cape Cod) perhaps one of the simpler Colonials with a gray roof would do) It will give you an idea of what doing a whole house in that color would look like. Slight changes on a paint chip can look entirely different on a house--the undertones become more apparent, and they seem more intense and darker.

You can also ask the contractor for addresses where that color was installed and go take a look (can also check quality of work), preferably at different times of day if you can. I did that for my roof color, since the color I wanted wasn't available.
December 17, 2012 at 10:26am   
kah416
Oh cute house! :) What about a light gray!? It's timeless and would add a cozy feel to your house :) and would look great with your white trim! Just throwing it out there :) Best wishes!!
December 17, 2012 at 10:37am