Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with master bath renovation
daltonskier
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need to update a large master bath. The jacuzzi is an off white, all old brass fixtures that need to be replaced. The whole bathroom is tiled in a maroon tile and walls are light yellow with white trim. I would love to replace fixtures with brushed nickel, re-grout with bright white and tear out backsplash tile and add new one with fresh paint. Just trying to coordinate with that maroon title floor ugh... Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malese
Why not try have the tile sprayed?
2 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 12:33PM
PRO
Decorative Overlays
I suggest you do a concrete overlay! you can choose any color and style you want, you can go do different colors on floors and tub surround
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 12:40PM
sacapuntaslapioz
when in doubt.... white it out. white is your safest choice there. make the maroon your only color. play with white textures. like suede from ralph lauren for the walls.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 12:48PM
Darzy
I don't think I'd re-grout in bright white since the tub is almond color. It will make the tub look dingy. If you have to keep the maroon, how about treating it like a red and do gray walls, black trim? black/cream or silver gray towels? Here's a sample color scheme...

1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 1:02PM
kitasei
I want to hear more about the concrete overlay option. Is it a product or technique? Sounds like something we could all use for something similar to this.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 1:06PM
PRO
Decorative Overlays
It is both product and technique, you really need a pro who can use the right sealer since it is a tub surround. It is four layers built up. The great thing is no demo!! nothing in the land fill so the costs are cheaper then a total gut. I have redone painted tiles and it's no fun to scrape all the paint away. here are some other tubs redone
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 1:14PM
PRO
DINTIN
it would look great if you have shell tiles in your bathroom.we have 50+designs online at www.dintin.com just an recommendation.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 9:51AM
laurawagner
Changing out your brass jacuzzi tub components may be harder than you realize (depending on age of tub). I'd clad the whole tub surround in granite directly over tile, including top since you have a raised drop in tub. The only part that takes a little thought is the mechanical door/cover. I would just rebuiild out of wood (get rid of red tile) and paint it a complimentary color to granite choice. OR have the red tile painted
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:01AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
If you just remove the tile on the tub surround and replace it with off white bead board that will break up the maroon color enough, depending on what the rest of the bathroom looks like you can put the bead board wainscoting around the perimeter of the room to tie it all together
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:10AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I have to say that if your description of the maroon tile is "ugh" please don't build on it. Now is the time to take it out and pick something you will like. It would be better to find a well priced flooring option at a big box store than build on something you don't like if you are going to the trouble of renovating.
Wouldn't it be better to find something classic you will enjoy? That maroon tile is always going to boss you around.
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:17AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I really like the sound of the concrete surround! So long as the technique is done well, there should be no problem in a few years. With the concrete surround, you will be starting from a clean slate OR you have the option of leaving the concrete for the "polished concrete" look everyone is looking at in their kitchens! Bonus! Once everything is sunk in concrete (and paint the walls a neutral colour that will compliment the concrete) you can then take the time to enjoy the simplicity of the space without the visual disturbance of the tiles. Get used to the feel of your bathroom once again. After a year (maybe 2-10 depending if you like the concrete), you will have a MUCH better idea of how light bounces around in your space - day and night. Now the canvas is prepared and you can begin to dream the colour scheme!

With that, you can then go ahead and take the "plunge" with finishing colours/tiles/fixtures. The concrete is going to give you both the "blank canvas" AND a modern finish (for now). It's a win-win situation! You win if you like it; you win if you want to change it - because it is the blank canvas you are looking for!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:25AM
designr28
take all the tile out and start new. you will regret working around it since there is so much of it. If you can do a tile remodel now ,at least paint the walls the same color as the grout and tub.
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 5:24AM