Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP! Paint colors and wall art
dawgfan1980
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently bought a 1000 sq ft 1 bedroom condo. I painted the main living area a rich brown. Behr ultra new chestnut. I was afraid it would be too dark but I think it turned out well. Although I do think I need some art on the walls to lighten it up some. I have incorporated a good bit of glass in my tables as u can see. I hope the pictures help. Thank you to everyone in advance for you're help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
You've done a great job furnishing the condo. Although the color in the pictures is a bit off, but I agree dressing up the walls with art or pictures would help finish the room.

December 15, 2012 at 3:51pm   
designideas4me
well I think what a designer would say is to pick a color from your rug or pillows or whatever in the room and include that in your art. But a s a want to be artist I would say put up art you like to look at and that has meaning for you. I have some paintings that maybe I got in Europe or work I did myself or even just elements that I find interesting like bamboo pieces I pained ( whatever you find meaning in and reflects you. I hate the basic prints you buy at a store that has 1000 of the same. I like different and unique. Tell me what you like? Or do you not care and you just want something that matches your stuff?
December 15, 2012 at 4:05pm   
designideas4me
The first one is a painting I did and the others are pictures I took of my pool water and a palm tree trunk In backyard and the moon at night. I try to find inspiration around me. You can take pics of your landscape or city. You can even create a frame out of wood which I do for specific spaces on walls and paint or make your own work that fits perfectly into that space.
December 15, 2012 at 4:08pm   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
A framed mirror over the fireplace and either a coordinated set of art or a large piece over the sofa would work nicely.
December 15, 2012 at 4:41pm     
judianna20

I second Lisa's suggestion. A mirror to brighten the walls, and from your pix, a gold frame.
December 15, 2012 at 4:55pm   
dawgfan1980
Thanks everyone. I like the sound of the gold. I think that will tie in nicely with my area rug and pillows. I would do a mirror but my entire wall behind my dining table is mirrored. Thanks so much.
December 16, 2012 at 7:50pm   
kah416
Nice color!!! Try Pier 1...they have great art pieces! :)
December 16, 2012 at 9:15pm     
kah416
Here's a few ideas :)
December 16, 2012 at 9:18pm   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Then a large art piece above the fireplace and two more over the sofa that relate in some way to the colors in the room so they coordinate but are not too matchy. Crate and Barrel and Z Gallerie have some nice pieces.
December 17, 2012 at 11:00am