Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with family room furniture arrangement
lizdavispa
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I can't get this right! I think I've tried it all...if I flank 2 chairs by the fireplace I wind up with too much room in the corner by the windows, the room just seems too long to incorporate the fireplace into the arrangement.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
We need the view standing from the FP. But, it looks like the sectional needs to be moved to the center of the window. Can you move the tv to the left of the FP? You could even put the sectional sort of in the corner of the windows and float the chairs. It's difficult without seeing the entire space.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 7:42PM
lizdavispa
I can't move the tv (there's no cable there). I've tried the sectional in front of the windows but it just divides the space...sorry I can't move the tv, you're right, it belongs there............
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 7:51PM
houssaon
Darzy is right. What is the four wall. You have a large space, you could use another sofa and maybe think of two converstion areas.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 7:54PM
lizdavispa
The fourth wall is a half wall and the kitchen is on the other side. Everything just seems so low because there's not much wall space because of the windows........
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 7:59PM
Darzy
The windows are fab! I'd rather have less wall space and keep those windows! Can you show us that side of the room? Some sectionals even look great separated. Is that an option with the design of the sofa?
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:06PM
Darzy
BTW...it's worth 50 bucks to have another cable line put it than to live with a space you are not happy with. : ) How about this...float the sectional in the room sort of corner with the windows with the coffee table. Then, "float" the three chairs surrounding the other round coffee table by the half wall. I hope the chairs swivel so can be rotated for conversation as well as tv.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:07PM
lizdavispa
The sectional can't be separated...I don't have a shot of that side of the room, if I put the sectional on the other side of the room it alienates the fireplace, I think if I move the 2 chairs up to meet the sofa and form a "U" it might be better but I'm left with dead space where the windows meet in the corner...
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:14PM
lizdavispa
The chairs do swivel, I"ll try that, thank-you
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:18PM
lizdavispa
That's a good idea for the Christmas tree, or a large plant year round!
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:25PM
Darzy
Here's sort of what I had in mind with your sectional. Except the FP would be where the right chair is. Then you can float the chairs. I also like the idea of the console for the half wall.

0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:31PM
lizdavispa
That is exactly the look I was hoping for, and by just leaving walking room behind the sofa it won't leave the dead space, thank you Darzy! I'll try that tomorrow......
1 Like   December 15, 2012 at 8:35PM
decoenthusiaste
I'd shell out to have cable installed to the left of the FP and would put a game/snack table at the empty end near the kitchen half wall if the space is just continues to feel too big. I think you could use heavier wood coffee tables to help fill the "empty" space feeling. Visually, glass disappears and you need some visual weight. A large area rug to define the focal FP/TV area would help warm and cozy up the volume and so would drapes. I'd hang stationary panels mounted on decorative rods installed right where the ceiling an wall meet. Let them just graze the floor; two at the double and three at the triple windows (one in the center.) Two low consoles under each of the triple windows would give you storage and the warmth of wood. We could offer more if we had more pics. Consider a tall piece of case goods for the wall where the TV is now. That will help balance the fireplace corner weight-wise.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:38PM
Darzy
You're welcome! LEt us know how it turns out.
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:38PM
Darzy
btw...the art you have on the left of your FP would look best if side by side..the same height as the window frame. Slicker...
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:45PM
lizdavispa
Thank-you decoenthusiaste, I love your ideas and hope to incorporate them into the new arrangement Darzy made for me :).........thanks again...
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:47PM
lizdavispa
Thanks again Darzy
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 8:49PM
Darzy
You're welcome! I hope it works. Ya gotta really be there to know for sure. ; )
0 Likes   December 15, 2012 at 9:53PM