Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Flooring/countertop combo
einportlandor
December 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm doing a kitchen remodel in my small, 1928 English cottage on a tight, tight budget, which means prioritizing ruthlessly. I have the cabinets nailed down (oyster) but am struggling with the flooring and countertop materials. The adjacent rooms have original oak hardwood floors. Extending them into the kitchen would look beautiful but I'm not sure it's practical for a high traffic area plus the cost is a big concern. I think marmoleum is probably the best affordable, period appropriate option, but I'm having trouble visualizing countertops and backsplash that will work with it. I don't like shiny, sparkly countertops (granite) and I don't think it would work with marmoleum anyway. The designer is recommending quartz but I'm not sure. I love tile even though everyone seems to hates it. Help! What can I use for countertops and backsplash that is affordable, period appropriate and works with marmoleum?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I'd choose black and white marmoleum flooring + white subway tiles & black counters (formica?): remodeled kitchen

1928 is the beginning of the art deco period. How about an art deco kitchen lamp: Art Deco Single-light Pendant with Handblown Satin White on Clear Glass Shade

Here R some marmoleum photos from Houzz: http://www.houzz.com/marmoleum

Little article on art deco: Ideabook: So Your Style Is: Art Deco
December 16, 2012 at 5:24PM   
teachforteachyahoo
I selected honed absolute black granite for my counter tops because I too don't like shiny, busy granite. Loved soapstone but it was out of my price range. Stumbled upon honed black granite and loved it. I'm going with black and white marmoleum which is really more of a cream.
December 16, 2012 at 5:29PM   
einportlandor
Agree about the soapstone. Just love it but can't afford it. I've thought of honed granite, too but not sure of the cost -- I'll look at it again. I love the black & white marmoleum floor look but I have one big concern. My kitchen was originally two tiny rooms -- a dining room and a kitchen. A prior owner combined them into a single room, which was a good idea from a practical standpoint but leaves only one small dining area in the house. I'm trying to recreate the sense of a charming dining area by using different cabinetry adjacent to the table and a different finish on the light fixture over the table. To my eye, black and white check flooring says "kitchen" not "dining room". That's what I'm struggling with. Am I over-thinking this?
December 16, 2012 at 5:51PM   
TanCalGal
Black white check floor: to me it says elegant. I love it in a foyer, too. But you have to please yourself. Here's a DR
December 16, 2012 at 7:15PM   
einportlandor
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective. I'm going to reconsider the checkerboard.
December 16, 2012 at 8:38PM     
More Discussions
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Need Help on Window Treatment Options
I would love some input on which window treatment style...
How do these bar stools look in this kitchen?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/5444951/Charleston-Row-Kitchen-traditional-kitchen-houston...
move cabinets up to fit fridge
If we can 'easily' pry off the moulding from the top...
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.