Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family Room Ideas
Emmanuel Nwakibu
December 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just moved into a new home about three months ago. When I moved in and sort of threw everything together and now I want to put something nice together. I just don't know where to start. I want to find a way for this room to accommodate the full sofa, love seat (not pictured), single couch around the fireplace and flat screen TV (without either detracting from each other). I am planning on buying another TV stand btw. But I am open to any and all ideas! Also, please excuse the mess!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
househaunted
That high ceiling and tall windows are dominating and dwarfing the rest of the space. You need something to pull the eye downward. Look how this designer uses black trim on the long curtains, and a series of black frames on an adjoining wall, and the black legs of the chairs and tables to bring the eye easily from near the ceiling down the wall and to the floor with the black color that connects the space. It's subtle and it works. You could have a gold or beige trim (not sure exactly the color of your curtains) sewn to your curtains that match it, then use the same color frames and the legs of your tables look to be in the same color range.

She also uses the rugs and furniture arrangement to box the room rather than making it seem even more rectangular. It helps make it feel more relaxing and comfortable. So I would turn the rug and have the couch facing the fireplace. Perhaps you could hang the tv on the wall above the fireplace?

December 16, 2012 at 3:41AM   
charleee
Personally, I would remove the curtains altogether. If those are mini-blinds, replace them with the larger 2 1/2" blinds in a naturall to medium tone wood color, something to match your floor would be great.

My next step would be to remove everything from the room except the tv and sofa. Put things back gradually, play with your art and pictures to get an eye-pleasing arrangement. Because of its high ceilings, this is a very large space, and when you buy furniture and accessories you really need to think big! Floor lamps instead of table lamps are great, a large coffee table and a large tv stand.
December 16, 2012 at 4:18AM   
lydia123
That is a very long list of furniture. The room doesn't look to me like it is big enough for all those things.
December 16, 2012 at 5:24AM   
charleee
lydia123, huh? That's five pieces of furniture - tv, sofa, floor lamp, coffee table and tv stand!
December 16, 2012 at 8:39AM   
PRO
S&K Interiors
I would not suggest trying to lower the feeing of height that the draperies create. I would just suggest that you bring other pieces in to balance the draperies. Large artwork or mirrors. Tall floor lamps or bookcase etc.
December 16, 2012 at 9:21AM     
pcmom1
I would bring the window panels down to a more "cozy" level. I would have the rod the same height as the top of the archway. And be sure material touches the floor.

I think a wall of built ins to house the tv on its current wall, the top again the height of the top of the archway,would add warmth to the room. You could even plan it to have doors that cover up tv when not in use.

For furniture, see if this would work: full sofa where current is (only front feet pulled on to carpet!), love seat facing fireplace and then, two smallish swivel chairs, one on each side of fireplace.

Room needs a larger rug I think.

For right now: pull sofa so that two legs are on to the carpet. Put leather chair and ottoman in window corner. Bring the round table over to the chair as an end table. If you have a sofa table, put it behind the sofa. Switch out picture over fireplace (needs something taller and more vertical).

The current fan/light looks a little dwarfed. Something larger and grander would be much better.
December 16, 2012 at 10:09AM   
lydia123
Wants a love seat in there, too and already the sofa is blocking the door. Room doesn't look large enough to me for that long list. Sorry.
December 16, 2012 at 10:43AM     
pcmom1
Could you post the room's actual dimensions? And, a few more pictures from each of the room's corners would help also!
December 16, 2012 at 1:17PM   
PRO
Macral Design Corp
I would like suggest you some models of entertaiment center. This product is modular and you can order any size.
More ideas in my houzz profile:

December 17, 2012 at 2:42PM   
More Discussions
Front Yard Grass
What is the best/most durable grass to have in front...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Rug question!
So I got this rug on sale and I can return it at any...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
Old bureau into bathroom vanity?
I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.