Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas on how to redesign a Master Suite and 2 kids BRs
cthornburgh
December 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi All! My family is considering purchasing the house we're currently renting, which is fantastic in every respect save a master bath and closet that are too small for the scale of the house (and our preferences). We are hoping we could redesign the top floor to keep the current number of beds and baths, but create a larger master suite (especially closet and bathroom), while making the bedrooms into two kids rooms that share access to one bathroom. Would love any creative input on the ideal layout of a Master Suite on this floor, appropriate sizes for kids BRs, and whether and how we might borrow the extra space necessary from existing rooms and hallways to make it all work. Any and all input is appreciated...thanks in advance for the help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Would you be interested in taking the master closet and expanding the bath into it? I would take the portion of the small bedroom (up to the AC closet) as a new master closet. If possible, take the bumpout that protrudes into the small bedroom and bath out of the way. Use all of the former bumpout space for one child's bedroom Do a Jack & Jill style bath from the former bumpout across to the hall, where you put in a new wall. The second closet in the larger child's bedroom will have to be incorporated into the bath, but I think the doors to each bedroom can remain as they are. Entrances to the bath from each room can be worked out by your contractor and you'll need a new closet for the smaller room. I'd suggest you build a closet and study desk area that backs up to the new master closet and abuts the AC closet. Once you incorporate the bumpout into the space you may find a better location for the closet. Sorry I don't have software to illustrate this for you. Let me know if you have questions.
December 16, 2012 at 11:12am   
cthornburgh
That makes sense--very much along the lines of what were imagining. Would you suggest accessing the new master closet through the bathroom? Would love to have fewer doors into the bedroom if possible--might give us more flexibility on where to orient the bed.
December 16, 2012 at 11:44am   
architectrunnerguy
Looks like a cool house. Get a local competant designer type to sit down with you and all other decision makers over your dining room table for a coupla hours and work the thing out.. I do them all the time and call them "charrettes'.

Looks like you're going to be spending some 5 figure number here so with that much of your hard earned money on the line be sure each of those dollars are spent the best way posible.
December 16, 2012 at 11:44am     
cthornburgh
Absolutely will....this is certainly not a dyi project within my skill set. First big question is feasibility--if its possible to make something usable out of this footprint without too much heavy surgery then we'll buy the house and do it right. Hoping for some creative input here on if/how it might work before making the bigger investment in a professionals time.
December 16, 2012 at 12:12pm   
architectrunnerguy
It's not a big investment. For a project like this a design session should last about four hours. Maybe less if you already have to scale drawings.

When I do these I have a few rules:

-ALL of the decision makers have to the there. It's no good if one's "busy" and after the charrette we hear "Well, Frank looked at what we did and he doesn't like the living room and has these ideas for the kitchen." . Basically then the charrette was rendered completely pointless.
-Get all the building setback info ahead of time. Nothing's worse then having the perfect solution only to find we're 2' over the setback line.
-Have it in the morning when everyone's fresh. Mine are intense. They're "eyeball to eyeball" with no spectators as everyone's a participant. After work in the evening when everyone's tired has yielded poor results. I normally don't work weekends but the morning thing is so important I make an exception for these if everyone else works during the week.
-Have your guy leave ALL the drawings with you (mine are freehand and when I need a "straight" line I just use the edge of the scale. And there well may be over 50 for a project of your scope). If you go ahead you can send PDF's of the option(s) you like to him/her later.

The best designers are fast on their feet while still being creative.
December 16, 2012 at 12:35pm