Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help
nyuce
December 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am having trouble in p,acing my furniture in this family room. The floor including the dinette area will be dark color. Thank you in advance
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creeser
I think you are going to need to angle your furniture instead of having it aligned straight with the walls. Take the couch and pull it to face the fireplace and tv. I see one chair, but if you have a second, I think 2 with their backs to the line of windows with a small table in between would look nice. Then bring the love seat to the right of the soft, perpendicular to the tv.
December 16, 2012 at 12:13PM   
nyuce
Thank you for the idea. Is this what you mean? It looks good but I have to get used to it. Second pic shows how it looks from the entry, the coffee table there doesn't look good but needed. Also, there are no outlets on the floor so the table light would cause problem. What do you think?
December 16, 2012 at 1:31PM   
nyuce
Also, if I push the sofa any further, the passage to the guest bedroom and guest bathroom will be blocked. There is no other chair.
December 16, 2012 at 1:34PM   
creeser
I see your issues now. What if you put the couch where you had the chair originally, with the back to the dining area, but bring it closer into the living room. This will you leave you room to walk behind it to the kitchen/dining room. Since the chair doesn't have a companion, switch the love seat and chair. Love seat in front of the windows and chair on the opposite side. Will this allow you to put your end tables where you have outlets?
December 16, 2012 at 1:49PM   
nyuce
Here is what I've been doing on and off. The reason I keep changing is my husband! He likes the single chair when he comes from work to watch tv. But when I accommodate this need, the chair is halfway back to the sofa and love seat.
December 16, 2012 at 2:33PM   
nyuce
Forgot pics
December 16, 2012 at 2:35PM   
creeser
I like the arrangement now. I just felt the couch and end tables in front of the window was too crowded. Knowing you have a doorway to the guest bedroom, I feel the chair works better there. Is hubby going to be ok with the chair there?
December 17, 2012 at 2:40AM   
nyuce
It is crowded... can I get away with one table lamp and get rid off the other end table? When the floors are done in January I will post new pics perhaps it will not look so crowded. I hate wall to wall carpeting and I have such beautiful Turkish rugs.
December 17, 2012 at 5:25AM     
Natalie
Yes, you can get away with only one end table. Place a torchiere lamp to the other side for ample lighting. You need an area rug to define the space and pull the furniture together. It looks as though you have enough room for a matching chair, do you have another chair? A round or square coffee table would be ideal, but the one you have is fine. All of your pieces are Beautiful---very nice room... :) Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/chandra-rugs-poo407/sage/217POO407-790106.html http://www.lampsplus.com/products/leaf-and-vine-tiffany-style-floor-lamp__82733.html
December 17, 2012 at 5:55AM   
decoenthusiaste
I would get rid of the one odd round table by the chair and use the other matching end table there. Try a floor lamp and table lamp at the sofas.
December 17, 2012 at 6:04AM   
creeser
Absolutely! That's what I did with my house. Got rid of one end table and then as Natalie and deco suggested, I bought a floor lamp. I think that would work so much better. I bet your Turkish rugs are gorgeous and are really going to show up so nice on dark hardwood floors. Can't wait to see the photos!
December 17, 2012 at 6:16AM   
nyuce
I have a perfect floor lamp still in wraps because I have to have it converted to 110 from 220. I think it is time todo it.. Thank you all. We'll put pics when done
December 17, 2012 at 6:23AM   
nyuce
This is what we did. Ion e I got rid off the huge tv the problem was solved. We did the floors with Johnson prime wood, fire place surround is 2" glass eleganza mosaic tiles. We put gem river stone travertine polished porcelains 12x24 tiles in wet areas. Changed the granit countertops from dark brown to lighter one. Backsplash is 1" crackled glass mosaic. The sink is 20"x32" 50/50 ss Krause .
What do you think? We placed Pier 1 metal art on the huge nook area for the time being, but I am looking for something better. The flowery floor lamp there is from Turkey, I am having trouble in finding someone to rewire it to 120 voltage.
February 17, 2013 at 8:06AM     
nyuce
More to come
February 17, 2013 at 8:08AM     
nyuce
And more
February 17, 2013 at 8:11AM     
nyuce
Tiles