Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Backsplash Blunder
kennadysmama
December 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ok, so this is a follow up to the feed I started the other day, but the sample of my husbands choice was the wrong shade of stone, so we went to the store and got a new one. Does any of these backsplashes look like a good fit for our space? :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
petersenico
I would do something lighter to brighten up the space!
December 16, 2012 at 7:09pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Second one in photo 2 or 3rd one in photo 3, in that order.
December 16, 2012 at 7:09pm     
kah416
The small brick-style one :)
December 16, 2012 at 9:25pm     
Susan Broze
I like the one to the far right in the 4-tile pic. It is light enough in color and appears a little more rustic, or flat in shine which is a nice contrast to the shininess of the counter top.
December 16, 2012 at 9:57pm     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Second one from the right gets my first vote. First on the right gets my second vote. The linear glass tile is a bit busy and the one on the far left lacks pizzaz.
December 17, 2012 at 7:29am     
decoenthusiaste
Are your cabinets lighted inside and underneath? They need to be. Buy some LED puck and rope lights and install a backsplash that looks sharp in the lighting. Really needs some bling!
December 17, 2012 at 7:55am   
lynne08
I agree with petersenico... something lighter or reflective to brighten up the space. Under cabinet lighting would help. The choices all just seem to blend in too much to the wall.
December 17, 2012 at 8:18am   
PRO
L. DeRoo Interior Design
Blah! All of these tiles match too well is right! Contrast is what add life and makes the space interesting. Something reflective like steel or iridescent glass would add interest. The iridescent glass could be an accent row with one of these stone options or it could fill the whole backsplash. You're spending money to dress that area up, find a tile you LOVE! Make it beautiful!
December 17, 2012 at 8:33am     
mpoulsom
I like the far right one in the last 2 photos....they look like the same one, but not sure. That's my vote.
December 17, 2012 at 8:37am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi kennadysmama!
Of the samples you already picked up, I think the mosaic that combines the glass and stone is the best option. However, I do agree with petersenico and think you should consider something lighter and brighter. The mosaic below combines a vanilla colored subway tile in 2 different sizes, and an iridescent dark olive green 1 inch tile. The fact that it's only two colors keeps it simple, but the design is still visually interesting. This mosaic was made on our amazing tile designer, you can create your very own custom design, too!
December 17, 2012 at 9:00am     
orangecamera
I like the middle one in the last picture. (Is it the same as the one on the left in the 2nd picture?)
December 17, 2012 at 9:09am   
kennadysmama
I think you are right- we did pick pretty boring things. My thinking was I didnt want anything too busy that "competed" with our slightly busy granite and the grain in our oak. I will go back to the drawing board and pick out something still simple, but with a little more personality.

@Susan Jablon Mosaics- I LOVE that design. That would be perfect!!!! We actually are really open to incorporating green and green undertones into our space- so that fact that it is a brown/olive green combo, I wouldn't change a thing! Too bad you are located in NY!
December 17, 2012 at 10:24am     
kah416
Here's a few options from Lowes :)
December 17, 2012 at 10:47am     
pjtime
I like the one on the far right in the last picture. There's texture as well as color. I think the color is fine, especially if under cabinet lighting is added, which really is a must.
December 17, 2012 at 11:07am   
PRO
kennadysmama, I don't think you selected boring things. I think your first theory was right to do something attractive that does not detract from your granite or cabinets.
December 17, 2012 at 11:29am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
We may be located in upstate New York, but we ship all over the country, and even internationally! Here's a link to that specific design: http://www.susanjablon.com/2660934.html
December 18, 2012 at 6:36am   
PRO
Lowes of Indian Land, SC
The linear glass/stone does make a statement. The 3rd from also is a nice choise. Remember with the 3rd one, it is a natural stone and you will want to seal it. When you seal it you can also add an enhancer to really make the color pop. To add a little bit more interest to it try using a darker grout color. This will really pop out the pattern of the tile.
December 18, 2012 at 6:46am   
Natalie
THird tile in pic #1---First tile in pic #3
I like the thin brick tile too, but the color is too warm---needs more ash undertone like the tile I think best... Good Luck!
December 18, 2012 at 7:20am   
Natalie
I still think you could use a little more color and pattern to deter the eye from the grain of the oak cabinets... Just my 2ยข's... [houzz=
]
December 18, 2012 at 7:29am     
kennadysmama
Here is the one that the woman at the store recommended. Any thoughts? It is the one on the left (the one on the right is from the previous samples I haven't taken down yet.)
December 19, 2012 at 1:47pm   
PRO
L. DeRoo Interior Design
The Jablon Mosaic is beautiful. The colored iridescent glass adds a bit of sparkle and interest, which always looks great and catches the eye. If you can't get to NY to purchase, I'm sure you have a local specialty tile store in your area. They may have something you could insert/mix with your one of the Lowes tiles or you may find something you LOVE for the whole area!
December 19, 2012 at 4:35pm     
collettec
I don't really like the recommended ones from the store. I like the Jablon Mosaic tile as well. It has a simplicity that works well with the style and lines of your cabinets. I don't think some of the others do. Like the subway tile aspect of it for that reason. I think something simpler like that might be something to consider.
December 19, 2012 at 4:45pm     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Given the busy nature of the granite I'd go with a 4 x 6 limestone subway tile. Here are a few looks note: the larger size helps the small tiles tend to add to the busy.
December 19, 2012 at 5:17pm   
nicoleneesen
Try a glass tile to add some lift to the wall- a bit more glam!
December 19, 2012 at 7:36pm   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the interest of the glass piano key tile in your first picture. It is vibrant and fun. I would go with that option!
December 21, 2012 at 6:42am   
nlrbrown
Too brown -- same problem in my kitchen. I finally used a crackle cermanic submway tile in ivory. It reflects light beautifully and gives the eye a breather from so much brown.
December 21, 2012 at 7:39am   
PRO
Granite Transformations
I agree, go with something a little brighter to bring some life to your kitchen. How about our Amber subway tile- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Something similar would work well in your kitchen.

Thanks!
December 21, 2012 at 8:00am   
kennadysmama
@Nlrbrown- Do you have a picture of your kitchen? I would love to see how the crackle cermanic subway tile looks! :)
December 21, 2012 at 8:50am   
PRO
Keep Austin Designed
You may want to try 1.1glass mosaic tiles. Choose the 2 lightest shades of color from your granite and use those colors to form your back splash colors. Or you can always use stainless steel little mosaic tiles to match your appliances.
I get my tile online. New glass tile dot com.
December 21, 2012 at 9:07am   
iamchickaddd
How about either of these...
December 21, 2012 at 9:52am   
PRO
Cabinets 4U, Inc.
You have a very traditional style here, so I would keep that in mind and go with a classic look. I also agree that lighter tones would help brighten up this enclosed area, so I would pull one of the lightest shades from your granite.
December 21, 2012 at 10:10am   
iamchickaddd
I think the light gold-toned basket weave would be nice, it picks up the color from the wall.
December 21, 2012 at 10:14am     
PRO
Joni Koenig Interiors
The backsplash tile options look too modern against your cabinet fronts...I would suggest a more transitional tile...
December 21, 2012 at 11:01am   
pjtime
The light gold-toned basket weave presented by iamchickadd looks nice. My opinion is it is the best choice so far.
December 22, 2012 at 8:58am   
PRO
Maria Killam
The problem with choosing a pink beige backsplash like the ones you are considering is that your wall colour then needs to be the same colour which will not look so good with your orange oak cabinets. I would choose a simple solid coloured tile in subway or a square tile in a gray green colour to relate to the green in your granite and then paint the walls green to match.

This post I wrote might help: http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/12/which-backsplash-tile-goes-with-granite.html

Maria
December 22, 2012 at 10:06am     
pjtime
Maria--I'm with you in esthetics. I like to keep things simple, clean and uncluttered, and then the things that are really special and beautiful make a statement and pack a punch. I enjoyed your website.
December 22, 2012 at 12:10pm