powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with a powder room. sink was here. should I decorate around or remove. what color wall if sink kept?
noninew
December 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
small powder room on first floor.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
It looks fun, interesting and different for a first floor powder room. My first choice for a wall color with it would be a lighter shade of that teal. Second choice perhaps pull from the green.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:17PM
tennisanyone
Interesting sink. If you love it then decorate around it. The counter top does not seem to go with it. Maybe a black granite top which is plain would enhance the sink. Paint the cabinets black too and change the cabinet pull to black.
5 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:18PM
houssaon
I think the sink is interesting, but not with that countertop. If the vanity were painted all black, it would look better. I would pick out one of the colors in the sink. I'm thinking bubble tea CSP-1180, faded violet CSP-455, evening skyline CSP-505, Lilly Pad 480 Paint
3 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:22PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
The sink has merit but the vanity and the countertop do not. The style of the faucet is incongruous with the sink.
3 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:29PM
tegroves
This may not sound very nice but when people say something is interesting they are being nice.......a new sink is warranted.....it is not very appealing....sorry
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 7:35PM
34507girl
LOVE the sink!!! Maybe paint the wall a red color to coordinate with it. I would look into painting the cabinet as well in a black like suggested above.
3 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:39PM
olldroo
If you like the sink then do keep it, I love things that are different. Agree with all above, I'm not a fan of black but in this case I think it will add class and the sink will really pop. Don't know how much light the room gets and not much wall showing but I agree with emzc on the teal or if you are really brave soft orange. Take more photos of the room and put them on the Sherwin Williams website and play with colours there.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:41PM
noninew
thx all. the sink is the thing i'm considering leaving. there is no natural light in the room, hardwood floors, white trim. hate the counter and cabinets. afraid of black cause of lighting.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 7:58PM
collettec
If you don't want to go black given the light situation and don't want to change the counter and cabinets, another possible option would be to paint the cabinet all white. There is a product called Rustoleum Transformations that can be used on existing countertops.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:05PM
amyvenditti
I would keep the sink, paint the vanity white, put in a black granite counter (reflective black doesn't seem as dark as flat black to me ;), keep the pulls. Not sure what color to recommend for the walls without seeing the rest of the bathroom and floor finish.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:11PM
noninew
I don't like cabinets or countertop. I absolutely agree about the faucet. what should they be . . . modern? the powder room is only as wide as the counter. It is 11 ft long. the mirror is oval. I think I need to strip it and start over.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:19PM
olldroo
Light and aspect does make a huge difference when selecting colours. Definitely don't go black. So from what you are saying might you consider gutting the whole room and starting again? Would it be more practical to tile the floor and put in a whole new vanity? I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are considering leaving the sink. If you mean keeping it, then white could look just as good with it and let it really stand out. What else is in the room. Keep the room white and choose towel colours from the sink. I would definitely modernise the taps too, something more simple so nothing dominates to make the room feel more spacious.

I have never seen a basin like that before and I am interested to know more of it's origins.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:25PM
olldroo
Crossing here, so do you mean the room is 11ft long with the vanity at the end of it - like a hallway?
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 8:28PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi, here's an image to show you where you can go. Not to scale and quickly done.

Consider a new vanity, possibly one floating up off the floor, black, with a black stone counter and floors. If you can't afford to purchase a new vanity, paint the one you have all black and change the knobs.

Choose a colour from the sink for the walls, possibly a gray mauve if you don't want it too bright. Completely mirror the wall behind the vanity, to the ceiling. Add some really pretty pendants in clear or coloured crystal.

Have fun with it. The sink is fun, but it can still look pretty spectacular. Mount your faucet on the wall, or on the deck in the centre of the sink if that's not possible. Choose one with cleaner lines, see images on side of very quick rendering.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 8:37PM
PRO
This shows another colour so you can see how it changes the space
3 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:44PM
PRO
Here it is with white vanity, counter and walls
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 8:49PM
kah416
It all depends if YOU like it...you have to live with it :) here's some color ideas for your wall :)
3 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 9:01PM
maxdc
I would make it very dramatic and paint everything red (the darkest shade from the sink) - including a new vanity (wood not laminate) and walls. It is a tiny room - why not just go for it and bring the color level up to meet the sink instead of trying to subdue it?
2 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:02PM
greenthumb2
budget predicts paint. If you cannot afford to do anything else, have an old piece of wood cut as a mask to lay over the formica. Have it sealed before installation. You can paint the cabinet whatever suits you. I would begin with lighter colors before opting for black. Then, if you are still not satisfied; go navy or dark brown. One is cooler than the other.... If money is not a big consideration go with something very easy to clean but gorgeous....
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:59PM
jagood
The sink and vanity do not exist in isolation from the remainder of the room, so we need to consider the flooring and color of toilet. Can you post a photo? BTW, love the sink and personally would decorate the room around it if the flooring and toilet color allows it. The sink reminds me of the bright flowers we saw in Cancun. But I do NOT like the counter top material or the faucets or the vanity with the sink. Right now it looks like somebody loved the sink, bought it and installed it directly in place of another sink without considering how it would look with the existing countertop and vanity. I would disconnect the sink and take it with me to a tile store and play around with different materials fully surrounding the sink until you find something that really works with your floor and toilet color too. I have seen these types of sinks installed in tile countertops that looked very good. The tile enhances the Mexican vibe and I don't think the grout upkeep would be a problem in a powder room. However, I think you can consider a wide range of countertops, including wood that is protected with a waterproof coating, or tiny glass or mosaic tiles, perhaps glued to heavy plywood, grounted, and then flooded with fiberglass coating (similar to some bar tops) to make it easy to clean. Then decide about wall color, painting the vanity cabinet the same color as the wall, only with more gloss than the walls.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:01AM
onthefence
LOVE the sink and glad to hear you're keeping it. Carolyn's mockups are brilliant. Personally, I think the black really shows off the sink and the lighting is just icing on the cake.

Another option that crossed my mind is to go white with the cabinet and do the top in a corian color that appears in the sink. I was thinking of perhaps the blue. Crazy yes....but it would make for a darn happy room.

I'd definitely replace the faucet. I think the finish you have now is good....just need a more modern style.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:45AM
laursiedoone
I really like the sink and think it would work best if you embrace it fully with a very lively and colourful scheme. If you try to play everything else down in the room it will look odd and out of place. In a restroom you can go to town and be more fun than a room you have to be in all the time. I would have vibrant red walls from that deep reddish pink in the pattern. Lovely rustic glazed tiles in a blue or green on the countertop, a new faucet and if you are keeping the cabinet I would do a distressed finish with the lovely cool violet blue from the basin over a bright basecoat. I would change the mirror for something as large as possible with an ornate over the top frame and consider copper shade lights or a chandelier.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 2:15AM
noninew
we bought 8 months ago - the sink et al was there - haven't really touched. painted the room the off white. I agree the sink is interesting. we are the third owners of the house so I don't know where/when it was put in. the faucet leaks & is not over the sink so it spills all over the counter. The room is 9 ft by 4 ft (approx) and it is like a hallway. One big wall as you enter - sink on right and toilet on left. nothing else. A lot of people use this facility because it is in the foyer next to the coat closet. I would love to make it pop. I love Carolyn's ideas - gonna find out how much the pot faucet would cost. even the black would look good with the hardwood. The hardwood flows all through the area so that is really the only thing I cannot change.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:56AM
orangecamera
Fantastic sink! I'd keep it for sure. Is that a window behind the toilet? Coordinate the sink, the window treatments, and something on the long wall. I think blue or green on the walls would be the way to go, also bring in color with your hand towels. If you paint the walls a light color, I think the vanity can be black, and use a black curtain rod and a black frame on your wall art.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 10:08AM
mlegriffith
I would keep the sink I think it's unique and definitely a good eye catcher
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 11:56AM
PRO
I'm glad the images helped. Seeing the floor, I think I would stay away from the pinks. Here are some options that could look great with the floor, as well as the colours above from KAH416 and the mauve gray
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 5:47PM
PRO
Green
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 5:48PM
PRO
Ultimately, with that sink you have a multitude of colours you could work with, but take a look at what brings out the wood tones. If you aren't sure, go to the colour wheel to help you make a selection.

Your sconce(s) or chandelier can be the clear crystal or the perfect colour to compliment the colour you select for the walls.

Good luck. Let us see what you finally do.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 5:59PM
nasmijati
That sink looks like it is Mexican Talavera tile. When you get ready to do a backsplash for the cabinet, consider ringing the entire room at that height with a single band of Talavera tile. If the tiles do not match it is a lot more fun! Also easier to replace one if it gets damaged.
Terra cotta is a color often seen with Talavera tile. I will go look for some photos for you. Back in a while...
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 7:17PM
nasmijati
Here come the photos. I can attach only four at a time. I am sorry they cannot be enlarged.
3 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 7:51PM
nasmijati
More Mexican Talavera tile sinks.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 7:52PM
nasmijati
Here are some Mexican Talavera tile accessories.

www.myrustica.com
www.mexicantiles.com

Also, enter "Mexican Talavera tile bathroom images" into your Internet browser.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 7:55PM
picky1
Go creamy neutral for counter top, to make sink pop if you want to keep sink. Use one color from sink for walls, make it a shade you like and a bit lighter than the color in your sink. Your faucet should be either, nickel, silver, gold, brown, anything but what is there, as it doesn't go well with the sink.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 8:15PM
kimberlysc
Eztia nailed it. Stay true to the Mexican Sink. Counter top should be a terra cotta tile with a fun Mexican tile backsplash. A creamy white finish on the cabinet with black rod iron hardware would work with a fun wall color. Most rooms work with a bit of black, I would work it into the towel rack, pulls, etc., not the cabinet itself. In Mexican design, soft whites are used to enhance the bold colors used in textiles and pottery and punches of color!
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:12PM
kimberlysc
Eztia nailed it. Stay true to the Mexican Sink. Counter top should be a terra cotta tile with a fun Mexican tile backsplash. A creamy white finish on the cabinet with black rod iron hardware would work with a fun wall color. Most rooms work with a bit of black, I would work it into the towel rack, pulls, etc., not the cabinet itself. In Mexican design, soft whites are used to enhance the bold colors used in textiles and pottery and punches of color!
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:13PM
kimberlysc
Extra nailed it!
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:17PM
kimberlysc
Sorry about additional comments..my mistake.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:18PM
Natalie
Hi---have no idea if it's already been mentioned but I think a white top, black cab, and a rich saturated periwinkle hue for the walls would look Great with that sink... So fun! Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=][houzz=Bathroom restored][houzz=Blue Powder Bath Remodel][houzz=Modern Urban Revival]
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:31PM
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:40PM
imdb
Love how you did the two mirrors flanking the sink. If money is a consideration, I would paint the cabinets and walls a light warm grey. This will coordinate with the toilet wall hanging, countertop and silver finish already present.
0 Likes   October 24, 2014 at 12:08PM