Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Design Dilemma
Professionals
Users

Living Room Fireplace/Furniture Location Dilemmas

scottandnancyDecember 16, 2012
Looking for suggestions on determining a location for a new fireplace. The layout i am leaning towards is the fireplace at the corner or the North side of the room.
Furniture placement has been a challenge based on path of travel through the space. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
S Squared Design, LLC
I would suggest the north wall. A corner fireplace seems like a great idea except it can create furniture layout problems in the future. If you decide to rearrange or if you decide to sell your home in the future. The north wall location will give you more flexibility. And makes it more of a focal point instead of tucked away in a corner. Hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:57AM
PRO
Dytecture
I am leaning towards the 3rd option from the left with the fireplace centered at the south wall., but the corner fireplace works well with the traffic flow.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:58AM
PRO
Woodcliffe Design
Go with the 3rd option. Corner fireplaces consume too much real estate in a room as well as date a design. These fireplace positions became popular more than a decade ago when gas and electric units were introduced and a corner unit was unique. Your layout has created a great conversation area and uninterrupted traffic flow. With that said, assuming it's a gas fireplace, where the unit can be placed will be driven by the specifications and clearance necessary for installation. Consult with an installer on restrictions and that will ultimately give you the fireplace position. I hope that helps you in your decision.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 8:16AM
decoenthusiaste
I prefer the same one Dytecture likes. I would consider replacing the huge chair and a half with a pair of smaller swivel chairs for more flexibility and style.

Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda · More Info

Rebecca Leather Swivel Chair · More Info

Cody Swivel Chair · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 8:19AM
PRO
Jubi Arriola_Headley
I also vote for the north wall - it allows traffic to moves most easily through the area, IMHO. Although I wonder if what's around that room would make me feel differently - what rooms or areas border the room on each side?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:25PM
scottandnancy
Hi Jubi, There is a kitchen to the bottom left of the drawing with laundry and garage entrance beyond the kitchen. There is also dining to the bottom right with a patio door. To the right is a front entry and stair to both the basement and upper level. The top and right are both exterior walls.

Hopefully this discription better helps to illustrate the surrounding rooms. Thx, Scott
    Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 6:20PM