Users
cabinets
designideas4me
December 16, 2012 in Photo Questions
so beautiful. you make these?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
AFC inc
Yes , My guys did it , i only applied veneer , Black inlays on the internal door perimeter is ebony.
I found very cost efficient way to make cabinets from figured woods .
We simply try to combine the trick of old word craftsmanship with modern technologies and adhesives used by plywood manufacture. Because the marine adhesives used the durability exceed the natural wood. I simply put two doors samples on rain outside for about one week .
One has been done from wood , the second one from veneered plywood . The natural wood one
has been completely destroyed , the second one has some damages to styles and railing but panel literally has no impact . We have about 42,000 sq. feet of more than 30 species and burls , some of them one of the kind . Some species may enter world market in amount a few logs per a few years. It is quality veneer , which mostly used for marine applications ( yachts ) the thickness usually exceed the manufacture made plywood such cherry , maple , walnut about twice.
Prices are about 50 % higher than manufacture made cabinets except one of the kind species like ebony , rose wood ,figured koa and etc.
Distance . If wisely planed usually is not a problem. We did on Hawaii, Miami , Canada etc.and sometimes been 50 % cheaper than local contractors .
Shipment usually are very reasonable , except Hawaii.
It works like this : Customer sent pictures of desired style and room and room dimensions .
We make design and sent by email. Samples by UPS . Every 1-2 days customer get pictures of work progress to keep informed and allow to make some changes if needed.
A few weeks project done . Shipment a few days . For small project it make sense to have somebody local to install . For bigger projects make sense to fly and install.
Payments . Because in this modern time a lot of contractors irresponsible in order to keep our customers confident we try to avoid prepayments , except the cases if job are very big and expensive materials. In our times distance generally not a problems .
If you need something , let me know.
Please feel free to ask any questions or if you need any advice . It does not matter if we do the job or somebody else , feel free to ask .
Thanks .
December 17, 2012 at 12:12PM   
designideas4me
I just wish I could afford something as beautiful.
December 17, 2012 at 6:16PM   
PRO
AFC inc
What state do you live ?
December 17, 2012 at 8:51PM   
designideas4me
southern california
December 17, 2012 at 9:02PM   
PRO
AFC inc
You may have a few choices :
1. If your budged is very limited ( a few thousand dollars ) manufacture made cabinets sometimes could be choice . Some of them may be OK quality for the money spend .
No all of them are good , and needs to make some research .
Sources as Home Depot generally not a good choice for the money spent .
2, Custom Cabinets. Our cabinets for small condo generally cost about $5000 - $10 ,000 kitchen , couple bathrooms , small laundry . It is hard to tell the exact price without knowing the idea . There are many different woods and styles ( at least 20 different wood species )
Shipping cost to Sough California about $500 more or less.
Design , communications ------ by phone or email, samples by UPS.
That is not a problem.
The real problem could be parking , homeowners associations restrictions , ordering elevator and etc .
Generally installation is not a big deal ( 1-2 days ) but the bureaucracy together with traveling for small project make little sense. One of our customer in San Diego decided to postpone or don't do remodeling in upscale condo because the regulations completely insane .
They purchased 1500 sq. feet condo on 38th floors and it looks like it is easier to actually make cabinets and ship to California rather than order the elevator and find parking
If your project is big enough and private home it could make the sense to travel and install , for small one it is better and cheaper if it will be installed by somebody local.
Thank you for reading .
December 18, 2012 at 12:27AM   
designideas4me
Well I own the home and no problems with parking or doing the work even if you need to use the driveway or whatever. The main issue is price and what I get. I did try to price cabinets with a local home builder who refered me to his company and the guy who worked for the home builder said 4500 total for all new cabinets but never came through. When I priced the same cabinets with the manufacturer they came to 11k just for the kitchen so thats been the lowest estimate I got so far. If I could get those gorgeous cabinets you made I would be interested for sure. But my kitchen is aprox. 8 by 20 feet. A long L with an island that is about 3 by 7 feet. Maybe 25 cabinets or more. So I bet it will come to quiet a bit using that walnut and inlay design. I just thought it would really compliment my black glass appliances. Well let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
December 18, 2012 at 8:43PM   
More Discussions
Should I Paint My Cabinets White?
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing...
Curtain color advice?
I'm having trouble finding curtains that I like. ...
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Need help in choosing stain for hardwood floors
I am having my red oak floors refinished. I'd like...
Please assist in selecting a paint color for kids bathroom
Room #3. Our girls are rambunctious to say the least....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.