powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me decorate this wall/floor space! :)
kah416
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello! Our guest room is small but cozy. Does anyone have ideas of how to decorate this blank wall/floor space? The wall color is staying because I love it, but the small Ikea desk is not staying...thanks in advance for any ideas!! :-) Much appreciation!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I would make it a cozy reading space with a comfy smaller scale upholstered chair with a small round table and lamp. I'd also look at replacing the outlet covers with white ones. Sorry, I know you didn't ask but outlets and switches are my pet peeve.

The picture is very nice. Look for fabric using a combination of those colours.
December 17, 2012 at 11:48am     
kah416
Mary,
Thank you for your idea! I actually put the outlet covers on myself because I love brushed silver, and they have an antique beaded trim on them. Our house is a 1916 Cape Cod and I have them throughout our entire house. :) They actually look nicer if you could see them up close. :) But, yes, I can see how some people would like white to blend in. I personally like the contrast. :)
December 17, 2012 at 11:54am     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If you need a nightstand I would use the desk as one. Then I'd place a lamp on the desk and place the picture on the wall to left of the window, hung about 6" below where you have it now. I would then add a nice green and white rug.
December 17, 2012 at 11:56am   
judianna20
December 17, 2012 at 11:57am     
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
In a guest room, I like to have a place to sit while putting on shoes, etc. I also like a full length or large mirror. I would suggest an upholstered bench (use fabric with a pattern in it) with a beautiful/unique framed mirror over it. Practical and takes up little floor space.
December 17, 2012 at 11:58am     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Here is my exception to the rule lol. If you love it, it stays and we work with it.

1916!! Lovely. Can you show us more pictures? :)
December 17, 2012 at 12:00pm     
kah416
Thanks all! I actually do have a nightstand with a lamp on one side of the bed and will get two matching ones in the future :) Also I have a full length mirror on the wall between the bath and closet doors :) I am decorating this room little by little when I find an idea I like, so please keep them coming! Sometimes when it's your own house you can get "stuck" for a while! :)
December 17, 2012 at 12:09pm     
kah416
Mary,
Thank you! :) What pictures would you like to see? We LOVE our house so much...and we are doing little improvements to it here and there...it's in great shape, just need little updates and fixes to be more practical for today's lifestyle :)
December 17, 2012 at 12:12pm     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
What ever you are wiling to share. :) I love your trim and your doors!! The hardware! So nice.
We just moved, this year, from a home built in the 70's that had a turn of the century feel to it. We spent many years changing out all the doors - just like yours- and the all the trim and floors. Got it done then sold it! lol
December 17, 2012 at 12:22pm     
kah416
Mary,
That sounds great! :) Yes I have an obsession with old homes. I love to keep the decor in the style it was originally as much or as close as possible...knobs may not all match perfectly but hey that adds to the character huh? (Hehehe! :)
Below are a few pics for you! We are still doing little updates as we can afford them...and when lightening strikes my brain with a fantastic new idea :)
Pic 1: Our entryway...We are going to get a neat bench with basket storage from Pottery Barn someday to place where the table is. Then some kind of table for where the chair is...someday :)
December 17, 2012 at 12:43pm     
kah416
Here's our tiny kitchen...someday we are going to install butcher block counters and white subway tile as a backsplash and then I want to do it all the way up the wall where the window is :) How do you like our knife decoration? Hahaha :) Kinda scary!
My husband just installed that coffee bar in our dining room and I love it!! There was NO place for our microwave in the kitchen so it works good here...still need to finish it up :) That cord will be hidden behind the microwave...someday :) hahaha
December 17, 2012 at 12:50pm     
kah416
Here's our D Room...it's pretty much just a walk through but we use the coffee bar all the time. :) I need to take out that corner table and move the mirror to another place...someday :) This room is open to our L Room...which we are still figuring out.
December 17, 2012 at 12:53pm     
kah416
Ou Living Room...our house just goes in a circle on the main floor so I'm in the entryway taking these :) We need a new couch and maybe a loveseat.
December 17, 2012 at 12:56pm     
calikym
Awwww... Love your home. Lovely and inviting.
December 17, 2012 at 1:02pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would recommend two chairs instead of a loveseat. It gives you added flexibility in arranging your furniture and most visitors to your home will prefer having a chair instead of sharing a loveseat.
December 17, 2012 at 1:30pm     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Very sweet thank-you for sharing! Love love love the leaded window
December 17, 2012 at 1:32pm     
kah416
Calikym, THANK YOU! :) Thats sweet of you to say...we always want people to feel welcome when they come over :)
Carolyn, great suggestion...I had thought of that myself awhile ago, thanks for reminding me :) I think you're right because then We could move them around if needed.
Mary, you're welcome! I know that I love looking inside other people's houses so I don't mind sharing mine :)
December 17, 2012 at 1:54pm     
myrns
Nice room! In a guest room it is handy to have a spot to place an open suitcase. A stowable luggage rack like in hotel rooms is an option. Another option is an upholstered ottoman. One with storage could be used for spare blankets & pillows.
December 17, 2012 at 3:28pm     
melindavalle
Nice color. I would place an oval mirror over the table in gold or brass. A small reading light and some bright colored flowers that would reflect in the mirror. This would also offer your guests a private place to view themselves before coming down to dinner.
Mindy
December 17, 2012 at 5:10pm     
More Discussions
Paint color
Can you tell me a neutral paint color that will go...
Ideas to expand our product line.
Looking for advice from designers an consumers as to...
Can I start kitchen renovation with lighting and do other work later?
I bought a condo in Oakland California. I don't like...
IdeaChat Video - Tub in Shower - 10.24.13
Would you ever put a full bathtub in your shower? Watch...
The room just doesn't feel cozy. Help please
We are in the process of looking for new family room...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.