Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Under cabinet lighting
Laurie Babcock
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning on granite and was wondering what you'd recommend for under cabinet lighting.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
REVE Design Studio, Inc.
The issue I always struggle with in my kitchens is that with a polished granite counter - especially if it is dark - you can see the reflection of the light in the counter. It essentially acts as a mirror.
I have found that WAC Lighting has an under cabinet LED system with encapsulated lights offered in 6" incriminates and the housing is offered in a few colors to best blend with your cabinet color.
December 18, 2012 at 3:08am     
Laurie Babcock
I went on the WAC web site and can't seem to find what you are describing. Can you send me a model number or a web page? thank you
December 18, 2012 at 6:41am     
PRO
Galle Construction Inc
Depending on your budget, LED tape lighting gives the most consistent light, with no shadows and is very discreet. Is available in "cool white", "Neutral White" and "Cool White" depending on they style of kitchen. Your never going to avoid the reflection of light off the counter, unless you change the angle of lighting, which causes other issues. Good Luck
December 18, 2012 at 7:09am   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
December 18, 2012 at 7:16am     
PRO
REVE Design Studio, Inc.
Im so sorry to send you on a wild goose chase Laurine, it is TASK lighting, not WAS Lighting. Here is the link: http://www.tasklighting.com/products/undercabinet/14776400
December 18, 2012 at 10:31am   
dawgfan1980
Hello Laurie. I recently installed my under cabinet lighting. I used Hampton bay puck lights. They are fairly easy to install. A six pack of lights is around $40. The kit comes with a 3 level dimmer depending on the brightness you are looking for. For the best looking result you will need a power outlet inside you're cabinets in a fairly central location. The drawback that some people have with these type of lights is you may will have to drill small holes thru you're cabinetry to snake the wires thru and also to hide them. I've included some pics. If you choose to go this route be careful because these lights get very hot to the touch. Hope this helps. Good luck!
December 19, 2012 at 5:03am   
dawgfan1980
That one pic didn't turn out very well. Here is a better one. I don't think you will be able to avoid the reflection with any lights. This pic is on the lowest setting. The brightness on the countertop looks a lot worse in the picture than it actually is. I am very pleased with these lights.
December 19, 2012 at 5:07am     
orangecamera
dawgfan1980, can the brightness of those lights be adjusted easily once they're installed? I think it would be really nice to have low light sometimes for effect, and brighter task lighting when cooking. Also, can the angle of the light be adjusted at all, or just straight down? Thanks.
December 19, 2012 at 6:18am   
dawgfan1980
The dimmer is very easy. It's just a tap switch. Just touch it and the brightness goes up. Here is the dimmer and the 3 different levels of brightness from lowest to highest. Again the brightness in the pic is a lot more dramatic than it actually is.
December 19, 2012 at 1:29pm     
orangecamera
Thank you for the description and pictures, dawgfan1980. I was just about to put these in my "cart" at homedepot.com, because they do everything I want my under cabinet lights to do. Unfortunately, after reading the reviews have decided against it. Seems the bulbs and fuses blow out quickly. Have you experienced that at all?
December 19, 2012 at 6:31pm   
dawgfan1980
I have heard that as well but I personally have not had any problems with them. I usually use the lights for mood lighting so I don't use them as much as some people do.
December 19, 2012 at 9:44pm