Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Art wall
winnergoat
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Does the art wall looks good in the living room?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eddie Rider Designs
Looks great from this view. I would suggest to make sure it is centered on the total width of the sofa. I love the idea of the artwork being different sizes. One other thing to consider is a much darker and pucny rug.
December 17, 2012 at 1:39PM   
janishill
It looks like the art may be off center. If so you should center it above the sofa. I am also uncertain how high it is hung. Can you post a picture looking straight at it?
December 17, 2012 at 1:45PM   
PRO
KM&M Designs
Yes, the art looks good, I would change the color of the wall making it darker than the sofa. Try one of the grey tones in the art. You are erring on the side of too many things the same color tone. I mean matching tones. The rug matches the floor, matches the sofa matches the wall color. If you make the walls darker, everything you have chosen will now pop off that color. Be as bold on the wall as you were with the great sofa. Benjamin Moore, #1001 North Creek Brown is a dark greeny brown, very sophisticated. Your modern furniture and art would look great against it. If that is too scary, try Benjamin Moore HC 101 or 100. If you can be brave, you will have a great room. And don't forget to paint the ceiling a slight tint of the wall color, it will be fabulous.
December 17, 2012 at 1:45PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think that Katherine has given you great advice. I suggest you get samples of each of the paint colors she recommended, along with 3 poster boards. Give each poster board 2 coats of one of the colors and then tape them onto the wall behind the sofa and art and look at them in daylight and at night. Then choose your favorite. It should look superb!
December 17, 2012 at 2:35PM   
carolannr
Are the art pcs meant to be placed as they are? I think I would place the one with the strong vertical element on this end of the sofa with the horizontal element on the other side - maybe a little further -an inch or so - apart to make it flow better as your eye runs along that wall. Maybe its just my Virgo tendencies but that vertical element in the middle of the sofa wall is disturbing to the flow of the room. I think the rest of the room appears very calming with just the subtleness of the contrast of colors.
December 17, 2012 at 2:38PM   
winnergoat
Thank you for all the comments. If I have the option to change the paint, is that be a better idea against changing the wall color? And also the rug?
I'll adjust the art and will post a picture.
December 17, 2012 at 6:03PM   
PRO
I think a darker paint color would be wonderful. I like the pictures as they are now shown, as long as they are centered over the sectional.
December 17, 2012 at 6:12PM     
PRO
EB Interiors
winnergoat, the artwork is great and its not to bad the way it is. it will def pop more against a darker wall. i also think you can use a great side table near the sofa
December 17, 2012 at 6:14PM   
PRO
Yes, EB is right if you usually have the floor lamp on the other end of the sectional and only put it where it is now to make space for the Christmas tree. Then a side table could go on the near end indeed, to be home to a table lamp. Good idea, EB!
December 17, 2012 at 6:19PM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Very serene room, I love it! I think you've done a great job!
December 17, 2012 at 6:43PM   
Shradha Bhandari
I think a darker paint color would be wonderful. I like the pictures as they are now shown, as long as they are centered over the sectional. I think art looks good, I would change the color of the wall making it darker than the sofa. I will suggest you that you can use a great side table near the sofa.
December 17, 2012 at 11:01PM   
Alice Trott
i think that a bit of color in the neon POW effect would look great, leave everything just add color to make it zing. "Color Guide: How to Work With Neon Brights" found in this weeks Houzz email.
December 18, 2012 at 12:39AM   
winnergoat
I would like to try a darker color but I'm afraid to loose the sense of space since that wall goes all the way along to the end. Any color suggestion besides dark brown? I feel I already have a lot of dark and light brown in the room. Please advise. Thanks!
December 18, 2012 at 5:14AM   
winnergoat
By the way, this is a front angle of the art wall and sofa
December 18, 2012 at 5:17AM     
winnergoat
And this is the other side of the living room
December 18, 2012 at 5:18AM   
winnergoat
Here' another pic with more angle so you can have more idea of the the room
December 18, 2012 at 5:22AM   
winnergoat
This is the other side of the room
December 18, 2012 at 5:25AM   
janishill
What a great space! I love the view you have.

I agree. Brown would eat up the light and make you feel as though you were in a cave. The art work seems to have shades of green. You may want to try one of these colors:

1) Life: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/softfern
2) Elegant: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/valemist
3) Timeless: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chameleon#ce_s=cham (this color changes with the light. It would be gorgeous)

The art doesn't appear to be centered over the sofa. They seem to be toward the left side which makes the room seem to almost tilt to the left.

You may want to consider hanging stationary drapery panels at each end of the windows just as a sound absorber.

I think a darker rug would work better.

Hope to see updates soon!
December 18, 2012 at 6:09AM     
judianna20
I think we saw you last week on a thread. Hi, again. I think the art work looks just fine. The picture I like is the one showing your red door. Find some red pillows for the sofa.
December 18, 2012 at 6:10AM     
winnergoat
Thank you. Yes, I'm thinking to add those end curtains to the window and change the rug to a darker color, I will center the paint and take pictures again to post it.
December 18, 2012 at 6:53AM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do love you room - like the mono-tone actually but would like seeing the darker paint - like the pillows above as they add a touch of color and not a blast . . . think the art can be hung a bit more apart -
December 18, 2012 at 11:12AM   
nancymic
You could add a few more inches between the paintings...maybe two inches, but if you really separate them they will lose their impact! Nice where they are but do center them over that long side of the sofa. I wouldn't add too much contrasting color. I find it best to stick with two colors and only add tiny things here and there in a third color if you feel the need. Keeps things calm and hanging together. Especially true in a modern room such as yours. Doing great!
December 19, 2012 at 5:19AM   
PRO
The Decorating Therapist
With such a long expanse of wall, you might want to consider painting just the area behind the sofa a darker color. Not only will the depth of it complement your art and sofa, but it will also define the area as your living / great room. I've used this technique with great success with a client that was timid to paint the entire wall, but they loved the drama and focus of the color block. There are many ways to transition the color, and if you would like more suggestions, please feel free to contact me.
December 19, 2012 at 5:38AM     
larry1333
I would suggest to center it. But I think it looks GREAT!
December 19, 2012 at 5:40AM   
larry1333
I would suggest to center it. But I think it looks GREAT!
December 19, 2012 at 5:41AM   
winnergoat
decorating therapist, when you say darker what color do you have in mind? I was thinking to go with the vale mist, the color that janishil recommended. I definitely don't want to go for dark brown or anything like that. I will definitly will change the rug to a darker brown. What do you think?
December 19, 2012 at 6:08AM   
heather4477
Can you turn the paintings? I think the one on the left with the large black block of color might look better up. That way the weight of the color and visual elements aren't all below eye level. Might make the room look taller too. I like the other one where it is.
December 19, 2012 at 6:24AM   
heather4477
I like how monochromatic it is. Very soothing and sophisticated. You could try a warm or neutral gray. I looove, gray.
December 19, 2012 at 6:25AM   
PRO
I've seen done what Deco Therapist suggested (paint wall behind sofa) and thought it looked great. I saw it done in lieu of a headboard, but it would work equally well to have a single 8' (approx) wide stripe of the darker color behind the sectional sofa. I would make it the width of the sofa plus a couple of inches on each side.
December 19, 2012 at 6:26AM   
winnergoat
I put together on the computer this combination. What do you think?
December 19, 2012 at 8:34AM   
Alice Trott
i like the first bit of art work but add color on the wall or in the cushion not darker, lighter and something with POP value, this is good as well but i feel i would like to see it work with the first bit of art.
December 19, 2012 at 8:44AM   
winnergoat
what about now?
December 19, 2012 at 9:07AM     
winnergoat
This is what I have in front of the couch
December 19, 2012 at 9:19AM     
PRO
The Decorating Therapist
You've selected a neutral palette for these main rooms, and the color in the block really depends on how you want the mood to feel. The subtle grey/green is elegant, and you can intersperse small pops of color in things that are easily changeable like pillows and accessories. The darker color would be more dramatic and might be closer to the throw on the sofa, not matching it, but more to that intensity. Either way you choose to go, I would suggest outlining the color block with a darker grey brown. It will simulate a "frame" and enlarge the visual importance of your artwork.
December 19, 2012 at 9:31AM   
PRO
Walker Woodworking
I love the art work, think it needs something more on that wall - others have given great suggestions.
December 19, 2012 at 10:19AM   
janishill
Wintergoat...I am nt crazy about mint green, but to each his own. I can envision the wall in the chameleon green I had suggested in a previous post.

I like the art work in the picture. You would need to add at least one red throw pillow though.
December 19, 2012 at 11:03AM   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Something a little outside the box. Turn the pictures into wall sconces. I do this for mirrors and wall posters. You build a two by two frame 3" smaller on all sides than the mirror or picture. Run 120 volt Led strip lights around the frames edge and take the power lead down inside the wall cavity if you don't want a cord to show. and out at the base to a plug location. You can add a switch at the plug. I use one that can be trained (radio frequency) to react to TV remote control, but you can just do one that switches on when light levels drop in the room.
December 19, 2012 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Note: If you move the sofa 8" off the wall and add a shelf the length of the sofa you will have less spills and more use of the space. You could also add uplights into the surface as well.
December 19, 2012 at 11:26AM   
More Discussions
Convert credenza to bath vanity
I've never done this before but am thinking if converting...
how to match the right granite color with walnut color cabinets
I am remodeling my kitchen and want to be sure I have...
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
Awkward Entryway, Unused Room
Help! We moved into a small, 1950's home a few weeks...
Critters and indoor/outdoor space
I clean mouse droppings off the stone ledge on my front...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.