Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom blues
dawnvcarter
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
After taking down the floral wallpaper and choosing a paint color I am left wondering if there is anything else I can do to spruce up this space. I found it hard to work with a blue bath tub and toilet. From what I am aware of a bath tub adds value to the home. Unfortunately ours is too little for a taller adult to enjoy a bath comfortably. I tried to get a matching toilet seat but it would cost as much as a new toilet and may not be the right color match. I have yet to paint the walls. I am going with brushed stainless steal accessories and Behr's costa rican blue 550b-4 for the wall color. Flooring needs to be easy to clean. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
I would go for a wood seat and a different color of blue than what is on the wall, or go for a more of a cream color to go with the cabinets and floor, maybe a taupe or putty type tone.

The blue on the wall isn't grey enough to go withe the tub and toilet, which is more of a Wedgewood blue--sort of like yours but with some brown in it. If you already bought the paint, I would add white to make it lighter than the tub and add a bit of reddish brown if you have any to tone it down. Or you can take it back to Home Depot and ask them to modify the color and bring the lid of the toilet with you. They should be able to figure out how to adjust the color to make it go better.

If you don't go for wood, consider a black seat and paint an accent stripe(s) all around the bathroom at a height the tile would have went, perhaps just above the back of the sink, and add a nice shower curtain with blue black and cream with stainless pole and rings, and some sort of covering for the window.
December 17, 2012 at 4:36PM     
wmpj
I'm not sure what your budget is but I do have some suggestions for you. Is your tub cast iron? If so, it could be recoated in white and then you could replace the toilet with a white one. You could also remove the vinyl flooring and add tile instead or a more modern looking vinyl. You could also replace the vanity with an inexpensive one from HomeDepot or Lowes.
December 17, 2012 at 4:43PM     
nasmijati
I agree to go with a natural wood toilet seat.

Take the toilet tank lid to the paint store and have them match it. Paint the vanity cabinets blue to match the toilet and tub.
December 17, 2012 at 4:44PM   
yvonnecmartin
You can also paint the toilet seat if you get the right paint.

Agreed, the blue swatch isn't the correct blue. You should get it the same color composition as the tub but several shades lighter. You might even consider a light green to add a coastal feel.
December 17, 2012 at 5:10PM   
Diane Weis
There are companies that come to your home and recoat the tub in the color of your choice. I would go for a white, replace the toilet in the same color, and get an unfinished kitchen cabinet (better height) to replace the vanity. Paint it white(or your color of choice) and go to a granite place and ask for the "scrap" pieces. You can get a good deal on scrap granite or marble! Tile for the floors is very inexpensive and if you are a "do it yourselfer" they offer classes at places like lowes and Home Depot on how to lay it. The expense in tile is the labor. Recessed lighting is always a great way to brighten a small room as well! Good Luck!!
December 17, 2012 at 6:24PM     
betay
I have the same color scheme for my old bathroom (except your blue is a nicer grayish blue) and I don't plan to spend any money on it until I do a complete remodel.
I'd go with gray walls--a little unexpected but would look mysterious and cozy.
I think it would make the space more grown-up.
December 17, 2012 at 6:24PM     
dawnvcarter
Wow. You all have me thinking. I enjoy the new ideas. I have diffently been in an inspirational slump. Thank you!
December 17, 2012 at 6:32PM   
dawnvcarter
@Diane. Had not thought of a kitchen cabinet. The height is a problem for me. I do not like to lean over so much to wash my hands or hair.
December 17, 2012 at 6:35PM   
picky1
If you have to keep the blue tub and toilet, incorporate the color of them in the vanity as well, then chose an accent color you like for the walls and floors that go together. Instead of tan or beige, maybe go with or a much lighter shade of blue, that is in the same color family as your current blue fixtures. A wood toilet seat would go nicely, and if you do that incorporate more wood in accessories like hamper, waste can, light switch plates, etc. so it ties it all together. Also...... A buttery shade of yellow would be a nice contrast to your blue fixtures for the walls and flooring.
December 17, 2012 at 6:46PM   
picky1
If you are also going to replace the flooring, wood or wood look (vinyl pattern) easy clean!!! Warm, rich look!
December 17, 2012 at 6:49PM     
nasmijati
It might be a good time to replace the toilet with a low water, double flush style, in white.

On the subject of toilets, here is a tip from the iOS Health Tip of the day:
Grossness aside, flush studies have shown that bacteria is spread up to 10 inches when a toilet is flushed, and dangerous bacteria like C.diff (Clostridium difficile) may survive in water droplets up to 90 minutes on the seat and surrounding area. Consider closing the lid on the toilet while flushing, avoid sitting on the toilet while flushing, and use bleach at home frequently to minimize exposure to dangerous bacteria.
December 17, 2012 at 7:06PM     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I agree that the blue would not work with your fixtures. Instead of trying to match it, try a contrasting color, perhaps a nice neutral.
December 17, 2012 at 9:18PM     
PRO
Please do not put laminate floors in your bathroom! They react very poorly to water. I installed them in my kitchen and had a minor floor. They warped and cupped so badly and are not able to be refinished.

It mystifies me that so many people are enamored of laminate floors. They insist on granite for their countertops, wouldn't dream of laminate counters, but put it on the floor!
December 17, 2012 at 9:56PM     
houssaon
I would ge a new toilet in white. Think about a new larger vanity. I would replace the tile on the floor and get a new towel bar or ring.
December 17, 2012 at 10:02PM   
reganhoffmann
I agree with what Diane Weis suggested. I just finished remodeling my bathrooms and kitchen. We had gray bathtubs and showers. We had them refinished professionally in white, replaced the toilets with white ones, ordered cabinets online (the site we used had the same height for bathroom and kitchen cabinets, nice and tall), and purchased remnant granite for about a third of what it would have cost otherwise. In the master bathroom, we installed inexpensive 18-inch ceramic tiles (bigger tiles make the room feel more spacious), and in the main bathroom, we used sheet vinyl. My only regret was not doing all of it sooner.
December 17, 2012 at 11:22PM   
sacapuntaslapioz
here is my suggestion: if the tub is in good shape, do not go for the cheap, in place coating. it looks bad and wears worse. paint the walls in a bluish grey or stark white. then change the vanity to wood with a glass top. add a vessel. get a toilet seat in wood. either leave natural or have the paint store match the color of the toilet and paint it.
December 18, 2012 at 4:15AM     
aliciafancher
I had the same problem with a blue tub, toilet and sink in a homemade cabinet with pink tile (that I actually liked). I ripped out the cabinet & replaced it with a purchased white one and added a pretty white sink & faux marble top, got a new white toilet installed and had a tub surround made in white. Then I added new chrome faucets and painted the walls stark white. Voila! A new pink and white bathroom that I love! A tub surround and new toilet may be all that you need.
December 18, 2012 at 5:28AM   
janishill
If you want to put in laminate flooring go for it! Mannington's ICORE is just one example of a laminate flooring designed specifically for wet locations. If you put in tile run it on the diagnal to make the room appear larger.

A new vanity, toilet seat in wood and fresh paint will make a huge difference.

While the kitchen cabinet is a good idea remember it will be deeper than what you have now. Keep thinking outside the box. Why not use a vintage piece of furniture to take the focus off the blue fixtures? You might find just the right thing at a thrift store, garage sale, or even on Craigs list.

Purchase or make a long shower curtain so it completely conceals the tub.

Hope to see undates soon!
December 18, 2012 at 5:34AM     
Karen Heffernan
if reglazing your tub isn't practical, have you thought about an acrylic liner that fits over your tub (& walls if you want)? My parents did that in their bathroom, and it has worked beautifully, and wasn't too expensive. Home Depot sells them, but I'm sure you could find them at Lowe's or similar hardware stores. Here's a link to the Home Depot version: http://bathroomrefacing.homedepot.com/bathtub-liners.php
December 18, 2012 at 6:45AM   
Sharon McLeod
There are vinyl click-lock tiles available that are great for areas that may get water on the floor. They come in a variety of colours, are easy to install and look great. Probably run around $2.50/sq.ft. Just make sure you get ones that are solid vinyl.

What about going with a charcoal grey floor? http://www.taigaselectflooring.com/images_prod/thumbnail.php?filename=67b338de7191073148a8ec49b28fcee3.jpg&width=350&height=350;

Or their stone look one is actually really nice!! http://www.taigaselectflooring.com/images_prod/thumbnail.php?filename=2d9295a002a33caa49974b260a467f2b.jpg&width=350&height=350;

Then a blue/grey paint for the walls. I'd definitely go with a wood toilet seat though, the white is really not attractive on the blue!!
December 18, 2012 at 6:58AM   
PRO
Roots and Rafters
I love the blue tub, actually. I wish I lived in your neck of the woods, because I'd trade you for mine!

The blue paint color you've chosen is far too bright to go with the tub and toilet. I would instead either choose a very muted blue, or (preferably) a light grey or off-white color.

Likewise, do consider replacing the tile on the floor. A tumbled grey-veined white marble would look beautiful with light-colored walls and that blue tub.

I agree with others that a wooden toilet seat and vanity would be best. A walnut color would balance the blue and grey beautifully.

Boston Condo
Traditional Bathroom (ZEM)
master bath classic in carrera marble
Winding Way Residence
December 18, 2012 at 7:10AM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Dawn!
Here are my suggestions: Replace the floor with something that's more of a true white, the offwhite, cream color of the current floor just makes it look a bit dirty. Tile below is from our website and is only $7/sq ft. As others have said, the blue you've already chosen not the right shade to complement your tub and toilet. I like the idea of a lighter, grayish blue, like Benjamin Moore's Silver Mist (pictured below). The countertop of the vanity also does not quite go with everything else, especially since the vanity itself is white. I would paint it or replace it with something bright white, or dark gray. I'm not sure what your budget is, but to really make the space amazing, you can add a tile mosaic around the tub, maybe up to the window sill or a little lower. The mosaic below combines white, gray and silver glitter tiles, and was created in our custom mosaic designer. Just some ideas!
December 18, 2012 at 7:21AM     
PRO
By Design EK
If you cannot, or do not plan to replace the tub and toilet I agree, don't add more blue. Not only is it too hard to match it will end up making it look more dated. i would either go with a black and white color scheme, which would be sophisticated, or use rich browns and creams for a softer look. For the browns see if you can replace the vanity cabinet with a chocolate wood, taller height if you like, and go with tile in a warm neutral stone look for he floors, or you could find a vinyl tile in this color scheme also if it fits your budget. I would paint the walls a warm cappucino creamy neutral. Use oil rubbed bronze fixtures. For the black and white, use white with black cabinets, medicine cabinet, etc. you could use black and white tile and soft grey on the walls also. Either scheme would allow you to upgrade the tub and toilet at a later date. Whichever you choose, plan for the long term. The bath and kitchen add a lot of value to your home so the better materials you use the more it will add value. Do a little at a time if it is all you can do for now.
December 18, 2012 at 7:27AM     
gilwiles
Past experiences with regazing has left me not a fan. If you can't replace, then work with it. There are excellent ideas given above, don't try to match the blue, find a contrast -- taupe, browns, greys and wood. Each would give a sphosticated, warm, spa like feel to the room. Home Depot sells tile planks that look like wood for the flooring. Would have the ease of tile cleaning with the warmth of wood. Good luck.
December 18, 2012 at 7:31AM   
judianna20
Try to disguise the tub with a shower curtain and go to Home Depot and purchase a new toilet and pedestal sink in white. The pedestal will make the space seem bigger. If you are a patient painter (I'm not), how about a clean white coat of paint and tape off some random stripes in charcoal or blue? Put inexpensive porcelain (not ceramic) tiles, maybe in charcoal and white in a smaller pattern
Coral Reef Shower Curtain
Bold patterned bath
December 18, 2012 at 8:19AM   
dawnvcarter
I love the comments to this post! I have considered several of them. The trouble with the cabinet is that there is JUST enough space for the door to open and close. I mean literally the door almost rubs the cabinet. I have considered a pedestal sink. We put one in a few years ago in our other small bathroom and it made the space seem bigger. I also considered a shower curtain but I am not sure how it would work because there is very little space between the tub and toilet. I like he idea of painting a toilet seat or putting a wood one in. Would have to be a paint that can stand up to moisture and the lid being slammed down. I also agree with Susan Jablon Mosiacs the current floor does make the space feel dirty. I think that it is just from the age of the flooring. It has blue and pink in it but I do not think that you can tell that in the picture. I do have an extra toilet in white. I was wondering if a white pedestal sink and white toilet would look out of place with a blue tub? I do not think that I am going to change the color of the tub. It is in good condition and easy to clean. It is cast iron. I need to think more about the paint color for the walls and the type of flooring.
December 18, 2012 at 8:56AM   
PRO
Granite Transformations
I'd replace that vanity with a new one, I like some of the suggestion above. You could install either a new tile or granite on the floor, we have a few example you can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/services/bath-remodeling/featured/

Granite and tile is easy to clean, so you'd get that low maintenance flooring you're looking for. From there, you could also do an insert to cover that blue tub. Getting a new toilet to match should be rather easy and inexpensive too.

Good luck with you remodel!
December 18, 2012 at 8:59AM   
14thstreet
A fresh white sink and toilet would definitely improve the space, but only if you put in a new floor that is simple. I would pick a floor in a light sand color, perhaps a limestone or similar porcelein tile. Don't pick a tile that is too shiny either, it will not go with the tub.

You need a shower curtian in the perfect fabric to tye in all the tones, even if the shower curtain is just for appeal and always pushed off to the side as not to get in the way of the toilet. Here's one that would be a wonderful jumping off point for your color scheme: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/adriana-organic-shower-curtain/?pkey=cshower-curtains&cm_src=shower-curtains||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

For your wall color, you need to go with a neutral light sand tone, or with a very pale blue that has the same color tone as your tub. Keep your trim white. The important thing is to keep your colors light and airy or else the tub will do nothing but compete for attention and clash. Using these softer tones will tone down the room completely and add sophistication. The blue paint sample on the wall in your photo definitely does not work.

I like the blue in this bath.
[houzz=Bathroom]
And I love the floor tile in these bathrooms.
[houzz=Michigan farmhouse]
[houzz=Bathroom, Old Westbury]
December 18, 2012 at 9:12AM     
sharonsns
Just one quick comment: if you're concerned about the toilet lid being slammed down, there are now soft-close toilet seats, that both the seat and lid float slowly and gently down to close. I replaced all three of mine with them and love them.
December 18, 2012 at 9:26AM     
marvinone
I would recommend NOT going with any of the refinishing ideas for the tub and/or toilet. You would be better off in the long run to work with what you have than trying to cover it up.

The Toilet: Look through craigslist or local architectural salvage-type stores (maybe Habitat for Humanity's "Re-Store"). And don't be afraid of ebay. There are often toilets for sale or for free, you could probably get a seat for little to no money that would match the blue toilet. Trying to paint a seat blue to match will only end up looking like a bad cover up job, you're better off going with something that contrasts. If either of these don't appeal to you, then I recommend replacing the toilet with a complete white one.

As for the sink/vanity: Based on your bathroom configuration, your bathroom probably had a wall mounted sink originially with nothing underneath. What's not working now is that someone wanted more storage so they installed a basic, big-box vanity that clashes with the original layout and design intent, creating a non-functional space that's no longer visually appealing.

Go to www.retrorenovation.com or www.savethepinkbathrooms.com and browse around, you'll find several resources for your particular bathroom. There is also a very active facebook page (look for it under Retro Renovation) and you can post your same photos and questions there. Many people on that site have tackled your exact dilemma and will offer great suggestions. As for paint color, stay away from blue. Your bathroom will end up looking like a smurf if not done correctly. A complementary color to blue is yellow and yellow-tinted shades. But you can also add certain teals or greens in the right shade, cream is also a classic. Also look through the inspiration photos at your paint counter, they are there to help you find the best color combo. I grabbed an image from retrorenovation.com that I thought would help you, it shows one type of sink that I think would be great for your bathroom, I hope the creator (Pam) doesn't mind me sharing them. You can find a sink like this one at a re-use place, craigslist etc, and they were made in white if you can't find the right blue shade.

Your bathroom can look up-to-date and current using the existing elements if you think through and research each item. If possible, just take your time and gather images, facts, prices and make an educated decision - you'll be happier in the long term if you don't rush through it. A great plan is worth its weight in gold!
December 18, 2012 at 9:39AM     
pjtime
I love the color of your blue tub, but understand your dilemma as I also get bamboozled by my spaces. Blue and yellow is one of my favorite color schemes. You could play this bathroom up as country french or as coastal spa. Either one uses similar decore and you could change from one to the other easily. The buttery yellow picky1 suggested for walls and a blue toile, yellow and blue plaid, or blue ticking shower curtain would always look fresh and clean. The third link is a blue regular curtain that's modern, but it's to give you an inspiration as to what's possible. Accessorize with a wood toilet seat and one of those across the tub trays for baths (even if you won't use it...tee hee). It looks like you could use more storage, so I'd consider an over the toilet shelf in white with some French looking flower tins (I see them occasionally at dimestores) and baskets for storage. Rolled yellow, blue and white towels and mats. I don't think your vanity looks bad, but if chipped and dirty you might paint the cabinet white or antique it/crackle it to give it some character. I would add dark wrought iron handles and knobs to the cabinet to spiffy it up. I like the pedestal sinks, but most people can't do without their cabinet space. I think your brushed stainless accessories would be fine with the overall look. I'd do a stone look linoleum on the floor in a lighter color if you can't spring for tile right now. Linoleum doesn't feel cold when you walk on it barefoot.
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product19003?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_content=Bathroom-Shower%20Curtains%20Hooks
http://bed-and-bath.bedbathstore.com/search#w=ticking%20blue&asug=
http://www.bedbathstore.com/roscrodpocup.html?id=12loroscrodp

There's a bathtub surround on this page that's beadboard and painted white that might be of interest....http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/09/romantic-bathroom.html
December 18, 2012 at 10:48AM     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
You can get a matching toilet seat for only $70, they sell them at Frank Webb's bath and lighting center, it is made by Church and they have over 100 colors!
December 18, 2012 at 11:42AM     
dawnvcarter
I like the idea of embracing what I have. I also looked at getting a matching toilet seat like we use to have. I may go with that idea. I got the white one because it closes slowly. Our son use to slam the seat down. Thanks for the pictures. They help a lot to get the ideas across.
December 18, 2012 at 11:50AM   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
The church seat is a slow close seat and is available in round or elongated, www.colordirecttoiletseats.com is their website :)
December 18, 2012 at 11:58AM   
lessismoore
I have the blue tub too! If you don't like the white toilet seat, why not get a cover for it? I think they come in every color of the rainbow, way cheaper than $70, and then it could match towels, area rug ...
December 18, 2012 at 12:09PM   
pjtime
What's funny is at one home I bought the cast iron tub was totally shot and I couldn't afford replacement or refinishing, so I manned up and painted it with that blue stone look spray, which was almost navy blue, and then finished it with a couple of clear coats. I think that was the color the store had the most cans of. I'd never seen a navy blue tub before, but figured, what the heck, it's trashed already so why not. I thought I'd be refinishing it in months. This was about 15 years ago. Much to my surprise, I sold the house with that tub still in there 5 years later. I figured people would walk in, see the tub and quickly exit the house. It kept the water warmer BTW.

I'm all for the pedestal sinks. Love them myself, particularly in small bathrooms. If you have a Habitat For Humanity store near you, I would suggest regular visits there. I swear that one I was recently at in Cottonwood, AZ had fixtures the exact color of your tub and toilet. I've seen a lot of vintage online dealers of antique and vintage fixtures, so hope is there.
December 18, 2012 at 12:27PM     
victorianbungalowranch
I think it would look just fine to keep the tub and replace the rest if you wanted. That tub is great--hard to get that kind of quality anymore, unless you pay through the nose. Just include that shade of blue in the rest of the decor.

Like the mosiac tile--very retro and period appropiate if you can get the colors right. Us grey grout for easy maintenance and a period look, no matter what you pick. I went for a 4" porcelian tile (really wanted the little unglazed mosiac hex, but was price prohibitive for a rental) and it looks great--much better than the 12" it replaced. Big tile only makes a room look bigger if the room is a decent size to start with, and can crack more easily due to settling in an old house. A rubberlike underlayment can help with the settling and cracking problem--and might consider radiant heat for a deluxe touch. if you do replace the floor. Not too bad as it is.

Agree that retrorenovation is a great source. Tends to go retro kitchy a bit more than retro classic, but tons of great info. The console style sink pictured above is period classic in chrome, and dates from the 1930s-maybe early 60s. A salvage sink might work, but the modern ones can be a little pricey usually. IKEA does have some nice clean-lined and narrow sinks that might work for you--bit modern but in a similar spirit in dark or black finish. I think European sinks tend to be a bit higher too--need to check. Wall mounted is another option.

Perhaps the shower curtain can be kept on the other end of the tub to keep it away from the toilet. I have a boy who is not too careful too.
December 18, 2012 at 1:18PM   
worshipsyou
This reminds me of how my grandma painted every room in her house blue or pink. Then she put carpet in her garage.

You must have a very lucky husband. You are so dear to put this kind of thought into your home. I hope you have many years of happiness in your home. You are wonderful and the world needs more people like you.
December 18, 2012 at 4:35PM   
dawnvcarter
@ worships you, This was my husbands grsndmothers house and when we moved in everything was blue and pink with flowers! And yes the garage had carpet too! I just took that out last summer for fear of the garage catching on fire with all that oil soaked carpet. Eww.
December 18, 2012 at 5:31PM     
dawnvcarter
I found the toilet seat in the right color for a good price so I may go ahead and get it. I agree with one of the previous post that I can do a little at a time and put good quality materials into this room. I am keeping the tub the way it is and I am going to start cleaning and repairing the walls. There is a lot of glue left to scrub off from the wallpaper that I took down. Thank you to all of the wonderful people who have taken their time to help me with this.
December 18, 2012 at 5:44PM     
worshipsyou
You really like to keep busy! How amazing to find a housewife who doesn't obsess over bonbons and soap operas. Maybe sometime you should learn to chill out and pursue more pleasurable ventures. I bet that husband wants to cuddle all the time, even though you've probably been married over 10 years.
December 18, 2012 at 5:49PM     
lessismoore
I have to wonder if "worships you" is her Husband ;-) if so, that's pretty cute.
December 18, 2012 at 6:16PM   
PRO
I think you're right, lessismore!
December 18, 2012 at 6:34PM     
worshipsyou
Hoping to take the blues away...
December 18, 2012 at 6:43PM     
dawnvcarter
Yes. Worships you is my hubby. He is going to be a big help with this project.
December 18, 2012 at 7:07PM     
dawnvcarter
Look it is starting to look better already. But seriously I have some scrubbing to do. The walls are dirty.
December 18, 2012 at 7:10PM   
jenpea
for a quick fix: i would replace the toilet (super easy to do-- you just have to be able to lift it) with a white one and get a ceiling to floor shower curtain to hide the tub.
December 18, 2012 at 7:14PM   
pjtime
Highly recommend Mr. Clean, which I am using on my oak floors. At least it smells pleasant and doesn't wreck your hands like TSP. Perhaps it's not so much dirt as an oil based paint was used before. Steamy showers make that oil come out. This is common in older homes. It might be nice to think that while you're scrubbing away. It's sweet of your hubby to care that you are working so hard. I grew up with the ethic of using what you have, so I actually err to the point of not considering replacement over renovation. My Houzz visits have actually been an educational program because I didn't know much about currently available materials. I've lived in very rural areas the past 25 years. Fortunately my personal style has been compatible with using second hand materials, so I haven't felt deprived in any way. DIY renovations on my last three homes has worn me out, so I definitely understand where you were. Isn't the Houzz website great!
December 18, 2012 at 10:00PM     
victorianbungalowranch
I definately recommend an oil-based primer if you have old oil-based enamel paint under that wallpaper. That stuff can be either as hard as nails or like glue. Oil based primers will expand and contract and provide a surface latex or acryiic can "grab." Shellac based primers may be an option too--isolates any color bleed through and can go on just about anything, but thin and a little harder to handle and get smooth, and requires ammonia to clean up.
December 19, 2012 at 12:33AM     
sacapuntaslapioz
dawnvcarter, I am glad you are keeping the tub. cast iron tubs in good shape are so much prettier than the new ones made of resin. I have a similar bathroom and I left the tub. the toilet had long been gone when we got here, so the toilet is white. I plan to eventually replace the white melanime vanity. I use a good site http://www.discountbathroomvanities.com where you can find vanities in all styles, all widths and all depths. and prices are good and no tax outside NJ and free delivery. as for the glue, try a steamer. the pictures are the bathroom before and after. before it had horrible paper, which I removed and bad fixtures, but the blue tub was in great shape, as it was the tile.
December 19, 2012 at 3:52AM     
sacapuntaslapioz
and the now. next step: replacing or removing shower door and eventually replacing vanity.
just because things are old does not mean they must be replaced. sometimes all you need is updating. Good luck
December 19, 2012 at 4:30AM     
windingcreek_creations
Kilz primer is great stuff and I highly recommend it. Find a shade to match your fixtures, then make the walls a much paler version of that shade. The color you've chosen is pretty, but not the right shade. Dark accents are always pretty with this kind of grey-blue, or you could go with the bright chrome. I'm wondering if you could put up a pretty, focal point mirror in place of the one you have. Add a gorgeous shower curtain, with coordinating towels and rugs. Paint your vanity a dark brown or charcoal black. Maybe add a stencil around the ceiling or a chair rail to divide two shade of blue on the walls. There is so much you can do with paint and accessories. Go to the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer online and play with colors. Have fun!
December 19, 2012 at 4:38AM   
dawnvcarter
The bathroom looks so much brighter sacapuntaslapioz. I like it.
December 19, 2012 at 4:42AM   
windingcreek_creations
Dawn, I read your comment just now about the shower curtain taking up too much space. I solved that problem in my small bath by making the curtain just brush the top of the tub. I wouldn't worry about hiding the tub. My favorite saying is, 'embrace that which you cannot change'. I don't know how unconventional you are willing to go, but I also saw a tub with the retro beads hanging in place of a curtain (clear vinyl liner inside of course). I also repurposed a tablecloth, turned it lenghwise and made it into a showercurtain- the color was perfect. :)
December 19, 2012 at 4:54AM     
PRO
Carrie Greene Interior Design
I had the same bathroom in my house! Easy solution (until I want to gut the bathroom) was to embrace the blue! I bought a shower curtain that had an abstract tile pattern that incorporated the blue of the tub and also had some sandy brown colours. I put the sandy colour on the walls and used chrome accessories, and blue & white towels. Suddenly the blue tub is part of the scheme, not an eyesore.
December 19, 2012 at 5:19AM     
nancymic
What about painting a grey/blue that has your tub's blue In it but is more grey and also lighter. Can do the same on the cabinets. If your floor Is vinyl...I just painted mine. Then add a rug seat cover. This is the cheapest way to get all this to hang together and look more modern.
December 19, 2012 at 5:30AM   
Laurel Ennis
Paint or replace tub and toilet. You'd be amazed how cheap you can get them at salvage yards. Buy a modern toilet though, they conserve more water. That ugly vanity has GOT to go. You can buy a nice one for not much at Home Depot. Don't put vinyl down! There is NO "good" vinyl. I'd go with stone. In a tiny little room it wouldn't amount to much money and would look like a million dollars. If I were you, I'd gut the room and start over with all new things. Even on a budget, it can be done if you search out deals. And you'll get back in resale value far more than you put in. There's no point in doing a half-assed job of it with shoddy materials.
December 19, 2012 at 11:25AM   
PRO
amydutton Home
I'm always of the mind that if you have the budget to do it right, then do it right and something that you love. However, if you don't have the budget to do it right, don't half-ass it - spend the least amount of money and still upgrade. All the suggestions above are great to get you a quality project.
Here's the budget project:
1) Paint that cabinet blue to match the toilet & tub. (use a good grade paint)
2) Put fun pulls on the cabinet (these can be reused in the future)
3) Paint 2 walls a grey color
4) Wallpaper or paint 2 walls with something fun and interesting that you like. The photo below is from this link: http://www.spoonflower.com/designs?look=three&number=24&sort=newest&view=public and if you are interested in this design, please contact me (www.juniperriver.com)
Spoonflower is an excellent resource for fabrics and wallpaper. We can also make them into shower curtains. This is an expensive way to customize and update your bathroom.
5) Add a glass shelf above the sink (the metal must match the faucet)
6) Paint the floor & add a fun throw rug from IKEA.
note: IKEA is a renovators dream come true. Storage, storage, storage and it is clean-lined / simple looking.
Again, if you have the cash do the real upgrade by changing out all the fixtures and new flooring. The above suggestion is if you literally want to spend around $300.-/ max.
Enjoy!
December 19, 2012 at 1:28PM   
hollymahler
I would change the cabinet and sink first. I think that would change how you feel about your room ! Even if you go for a used cabinet sink they could be fresher feeling;)
January 28, 2013 at 5:47PM   
dawnvcarter
Hollymahler, I agree that changing it out would freshen up the look of the room. I look at cabinets and sinks sometimes but I have not made a decision about replacing the one we have yet.
January 28, 2013 at 6:41PM   
centaurita
If you are going for the biggest bang for the buck here are my suggestions. Replace the toilet and tank with a white one, get a nice curtain to hide the tub (you can replace it later), Paint the cabinet white (Sherwin-Williams is the only place I go for cabinet and trim paint-plus they can tell you how to get it right). Only paint one wall in a blue to match the tub (preferrably the smallest one) and paint the rest in a nuetral like the porcelain in the sink. Finish with a blue and white cottage theme in accessories. As for Flooring - I would go with a vinyl one peice with some bright white in it.
January 28, 2013 at 7:13PM   
dawnvcarter
I am happy with my new toilet seat. I think that it looks a lot better then the white one. Next is painting the walls.
March 13, 2013 at 1:17PM     
More Discussions
Kitchen back splash help please!
I'm having a very hard time choosing a back splash-...
Blueprint update
I'm thinking if replacing the utility sink for a spot...
Do these pillows look cheap?
I purchased a love seat, sofa, and chair from Macy's...
Renovate 1950s bathroom
Husband has started demolition. I want to "hide" toilet...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.