Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen help, please!
mbragg6617
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought our first townhouse and I'm having difficulty with the kitchen. All of its parts are great... Nice granite, pretty backsplash, relatively new appliances... But to me it's just doesn't mesh together very well. I'm trying to decide whether the problem is the backsplash or the cabinets, or if there's something else I could do to make it look more cohesive. Id love a little drama, but since we just bought the house we are trying to stick to a budget. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
wmpj
How long have you been living there? I'd recommend you live with what you have for about 6 months to a year before making any decisions. This will give you time to see what it is you really want to change. Your backsplash and countertops are beautiful. I think updating the cabinet knobs and repainting the walls would give the kitchen an updated look.
December 17, 2012 at 4:27pm   
charleee
I agree with repainting the walls, I think a warmer color from your granite would work great!
December 17, 2012 at 4:51pm     
mbragg6617
I have only lived here for three days, hahaha! I guess I am just anxious to put my own spin on my first home. I agree that I should change the wall color first. I'd love to somehow incorporate a pop of color somehow.
December 17, 2012 at 5:07pm     
PRO
EB Interiors
HI your cabinets look white and the island looks a bit more yellow...
the granite is great and so is the backsplash, but personally i dont see them working so well with the white cabinets. You can always paint them a buscuit color to pull it all together, but it would def be an expense...plus your appliances are all white too.
Try painting the walls first and see if that does anything.I would love to see a deep chocolate brown to give contrast off all the white.
December 17, 2012 at 5:09pm     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
You could start with the chocolate color on the facing of the island - which is facing the living space! This will give you a visual start to adding more color - and it only cost you a can of paint! I agree that the yellow on the living space side of the island is really throwing the whole thing out of balance. Try the chocolate - or even a brick red to compliment some of the organic browns in the counters/tiles! Worst comes to worst, you go back to the white when you are getting serious about working with the colors in the kitchen. So long as you like the layout and functionality of the kitchen, you may only have to update the cabinet doors. A neat design touch right now is to have the grain of the wood run horizontal to the floor! This look would require a sleek, flat door with a stunning handle - but not much else. Look to some of the "wood" looking tiles in your backslash! Pick some colors from that and see how much it would be to have the cupboard doors changed to that type of look.
December 17, 2012 at 5:24pm     
buggie67
the cabinet color is your problem - love the backsplash and countertop!
December 17, 2012 at 5:29pm   
PRO
Stoneshop
The granite & backsplash are both very beautiful! I agree with the above comments to change the paint color first to one in a warmer tone. Also, I would add your pops of color through accessories for now until a paint color and major changes are finalized.
December 18, 2012 at 12:59pm   
Natalie
Hi---well I'm going to disagree with the majority and say the backsplash is the problem. It is a perfect hue for the granite, but does nothing for the stark white cabs. Something which blends into the counter and cabs would be more ideal---The backsplash must have a light hue incorporated to tie in with the cabs... Some pics for you. Hope this is helpful. Oh, and I think your wall color is fine. :)
[houzz=LEATHER BOOT BROWN BLEND BRICK PATTERN 1/2" X 2" MARBLE & GLASS TILE BRICK][houzz=Akdo Tile][houzz=Glass & Stone Mosaic on Sale]
December 18, 2012 at 1:17pm   
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors - Dianne Wallis
Yep I agree that the back splash has to incorporate the white of the cabinetry and appliances for a start. Without seeing the rest of the space I'd have to reserve judgement on the wall colour.
December 18, 2012 at 1:22pm     
PRO
LuAnn Development, Inc.
I'm going to go with the majority AND the minority on this one. The cabinet color definitely needs to have a warmer hue to it BUT the backs plash and the granite are fighting each other for attention. With so much going on in the granite you need to have a calmer back splash. I would start with changing the color of the cabinets as that is the easiest and the most cost effective starting point and then after a few months or so I would change the back splash out.
December 18, 2012 at 1:22pm     
charleee
Are the cabinets professionally painted? If yes, I wouldn't change them at all, it's not likely you'll get that good of a finish with a home painting job, I would try everything else first. Just my opinion.
December 18, 2012 at 1:27pm     
kah416
I think crown molding on the ceiling is needed here...something simple...the backsplash looks fine to me, but what about a glass subway tile...maybe something larger would balance it out...the small tiles are more for accenting larger tiles. Just my input :) My husband is a tile installer and he says the same thing. :) Hope this helps a little :) Nice kitchen though!!! I love white cabinets! Maybe a darker knob and faucet color would help too?
December 18, 2012 at 1:41pm     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
The cabinets look like they are therma foil (not painted) and may be difficult to paint, I would paint the wall above the cabinets a warmer coffee color to start, then maybe later change the backsplash to one that has some white in it like suggested by Natalie
December 18, 2012 at 1:57pm     
charleee
Frank, yes, me too!....Bobbi
December 18, 2012 at 2:32pm   
judianna20
Are the cabs recessed? There seems to be a gray line between the soffit and the top of the cabinets?
December 18, 2012 at 2:36pm     
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Lots of great controversy - I love it. I am going to talk about the elephant in the room - the appliances and the lighting. If it were up to me that is where I would spend my money first. They don't relate at all and are quite dated. Once you have done that you can fine tune. That one lonely pendant makes no sense. Find something that will relate to the style of your kitchen and has enough visual interest to fill in there. You might need three pendants. (I would agree that the backsplash is too busy with the countertop for my taste and doesn't relate as well as it could.)In all, your kitchen has a lot more style than a typical first purchase so count yourself lucky.
December 18, 2012 at 2:45pm     
judianna20
mbragg6617 is looking for a budget friendly fix for the time being and she is happy with the backsplash, granite and the appliances are new.

How about painting the walls the same white as the cabs, in a good matte finish (BM). That should make the cabs look taller. Choose a beautiful color to paint the island, as that is not cabinet. What color is going on in the adjoining room?
December 18, 2012 at 2:58pm     
Heather
Darker cabinents.
December 18, 2012 at 4:04pm   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here are some visuals so you can see what people are recommending and then take the ideas you like and go from there.

I agree the lighting and appliances not quite right, the backsplash along with the counter are too warm for the bright white cabinets. If you change the backsplash and can't change the appliances I don't think you will be much further ahead so take your time and think about what you want. Even if you make all your cabinets darker like the shot above, you will still have white appliances. So each decision you make will impact on something else in the room.

My guess is the island isn't cream but just showing that way in the image, but I could be wrong.

I have done a shot with the tile Natalie shows above, and also one I found that is a plainer brown with a white grout. I've also done the back of the island a darker colour and changed the soffit above the cabinets.

You might first consider painting the island and the soffit. (even if it's thermafoil there are ways to paint them if you are a DYI er, otherwise you may have to have someone come in and do it.)
Then the next thing if funds are available would be the backsplash, something to tie in the white
You should also beef up your lighting - some under counter lighting and either pots or a centre ceiling fixture along with the pendants over the island.

See if these help you see where you need to go.

Good luck in your new home.
December 18, 2012 at 5:37pm   
PRO
Image 2
December 18, 2012 at 5:39pm   
PRO
Floor To Ceiling
It looks as if you have a back splash that is too busy. We love drama but the colors are so similar ans small that it makes the back splash stand out in an odd way. What is the back splash? You might want ot go with a natural stone and add a fun glass liner through the middle.
December 18, 2012 at 5:41pm   
PRO
Third image showing pendants and existing backsplash
December 18, 2012 at 5:51pm   
mels3455
Why don't you paint the walls a deep charcoal gray and don't put anything on top of the refrigerator.
December 18, 2012 at 5:52pm   
Natalie
Thanks Carolyn C for taking the time showing the tile selections. I still think the existing wall color is fine and should remain as anything darker will only make the cabs more prominent. Pretty kitchen... :)
December 18, 2012 at 7:32pm   
mbragg6617
Thank you all! Your input is greatly appreciated. I completely agree that the white appliances are an issue, but with them being so new I hate to replace them! And thank you so much for the visuals that changed the cabinets and tiling... Makes a huge difference! I may play around with the wall color, but until I get stainless appliances I don't think I will be completely satisfied. And to the person who said I should feel lucky that this kitchen came with the new house, trust me, I do! I saw a LOT of awful kitchens in my house hunt! :)
December 19, 2012 at 6:24pm     
glamlux
Hi - Love the counter!...my suggestions would be... change the backsplash to something a little less busy but complimentary to the wall color (a mix of the light & the medium colors in the counter top or better yet, the color of the floor - although hard to see); next, change the appliances to SS, then update the cab pulls to match whatever the curvature/shape and finish of the new appliances' handles are (so if the apps handles have smooth, clean lines then get cabinet handles (not knobs) to stay consistent. Lastly (but optional), I would change that single pendant to a pendant chandelier...basically the shape of the sink and the same direction/angle (to hang directly over the sink). This would add some luxury to the space. Later down the road, if you decide to, you can either change out the cabs or change their color while adding some moldings as well to the top of them and everything that you already changed up to that point should compliment the new cab update. I would even go as far as changing out 2 of the cab door mid inserts to a grid glass in order to add some interest (choose dependent on where the majority of the traffic enters the kitchen) (maybe both of the smaller cabs). There are a few different glass grids to choose from out there. One quick tip: de-cluttering your kitchen counter could also bring some vision to the forefront. So removing things hanging from knobs, on top of or on the front of the refrigerator, etc. could be helpful...small...but helpful:)) (this can also make your space look even much larger). Good luck with your decision and the outcome. Can't wait to see your updates. Happy New Year!
December 26, 2012 at 7:58pm   
glamlux
Hi - my suggestions would be... change the backsplash to something less busy but complimentary to the wall color (not as light but yet not too dark), change the appliances to SS, update the cab knobs to match whatever the curvature of the new appliances' handles are (so if the apps handles have smooth, clean lines then get cabinet handles (not knobs) to stay consistent. Lastly (& optional), I would change that single pendant to a pendant chandelier...basically the width of the sink and the same direction/angle. This would add some luxury to the space. Later down the road, if you decide to, you can either change out the cabs or change their color while adding some moldings as well (if possible) to the top of the cabs and everything that you already changed up to that point should compliment the new cab update. I would even go as far as changing out 2 of the cab inserts to plain/grid glass to make it more interesting (choose dependent on where the majority of the traffic enters the kitchen). One quick tip: de-cluttering your kitchen counter could also bring some vision to the forefront. So remove things hanging from knobs, on top of or on the front of the refrigerator, etc. could be helpful...small...but helpful:)). Good luck with your decision and the outcome. Can't wait to see your updates. Happy New Year!
December 26, 2012 at 8:09pm   
glamlux
Oops...had error the first time sending...so I resent with less words but both ended up being sent.
December 26, 2012 at 8:12pm   
PRO
Ralston Decorating Group
Wow, I cant believe all the advise you have received, it seems no one is addressing the fact that this is a very small kitchen and the granite and back splash are busy enough. Painting the walls or the cabinets a dark color will only make the kitchen look smaller and " dingy " I would get new door knobs, I dont know what style you are going for, but, there are some beautiful door knobs that can enhance the look of the cabinets. I would never keep them white, but, I dont think you want to spend the money in getting new ones, I would hang above the cabinets some beautiful small decorative plates or things of that nature to give the room some sort of style.
December 26, 2012 at 8:49pm   
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Original oak trim.. eww:( What to do!?!
Alright, I get it. Painting the original oak trim...
Help for house colors and curb appeal
Hey all! My brother in law and I just took down a pretty...
Need "HELP" with choosing new backsplash
I am getting new cabinets - still white - but Shaker...
Need carpet color ideas
We have a mahogany leather sofa, dark red fabric chairs,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.