Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Very very blue bathroom
Donna Giblin
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just purchased a vacation home and the master bath is very blue. Since we do not want to start tearing things apart right away I need to find a way to make this work. We are having the whole inside of the house painted so I am looking for colors that work and will tone down the blue if possible.. Our master bedroom is large and the quilt on the bed is a pale yellow but I can change that if need be. The house is at the beach so I want the colors to stay on the lighter side. Any suggestions on paint for the bathroom and attached bedroom would be appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Donna Giblin
I should have also added that the cabinet is a dark wood but I do plan to paint that right away, I'm thinking white but it will depend I am up for suggestions on that front also
December 17, 2012 at 5:24pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I actually like that tile, and the shape is popular again. I think some sort of color accent (orange? yellow?) or grey could look nice, maybe even a kraft paper brown. Is the tile on the floor?.

The sink top is not white and that sort of bothers me with all the white, white, and it isn't vintage. Maybe paint the base and get a pure white top and a decent faucet (they seem to use the cheapest ugliest faucets in these places).

Or go with the blue--it can be quite pretty--even play up the vintage aspect. The different colors on the toilet bothers me too. If the toilet is really old, it may be worth replacing for a new high efficiency number, which would only leave the floor. That looks to be a rather nice Tiffany Blue--could look great on the walls or on the towels.
http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/blue-bathroom-ideas-0810#slide-1
December 17, 2012 at 5:57pm   
PRO
Bazaar House
i would suggest a colour scheme such as
http://www.farrow-ball.com/lulworth-blue/colours/fcp-product/100089

If you are not thinking to replace floor Blue is part of the bathroom. It not a great picture and i cannot see if the toilet ceramic is blue?? ( could be replaced??)

if you want to keep it i would change the toilet sit for a painted wooden one matching the colour of cabinet. Blue and Black could be quite interesting.

T&G timber panneling in one half wall. Also very sea side.

I would put a beautiful hammam towels in Blue and white schemes. . any of the colours schemes suggested would make a change. some pictures in the Batharoom.
December 17, 2012 at 6:04pm   
nasmijati
Now might be a good time to replace the toilet with a low water, double option flush style, in white. Paint the vanity white, get a new white vanity top, and a new faucet and taps, and new hardware for the vanity. New towel bars might also modernize and perk up the space.

If a new toilet and vanity top are beyond the budget, I would get an inexpensive composition wood toilet seat (Walmart, Home Depot...) and paint it to match the toilet. Paint the vanity white.

As previously suggested, bead board on the lower walls would be quite nice, painted white.
December 17, 2012 at 6:59pm   
nasmijati
On the subject of toilets, here is information from the iOS Health Tip of the Day App:
Grossness aside, flush studies have shown that bacteria is spread up to 10 inches when a toilet is flushed, and dangerous bacteria like C.diff (Clostridium difficile) may survive in water droplets up to 90 minutes on the seat and surrounding area. Consider closing the lid on the toilet while flushing, avoid sitting on the toilet while flushing, and use bleach at home frequently to minimize exposure to dangerous bacteria.
December 17, 2012 at 7:01pm     
Donna Giblin
yes the basket weave tile is on the floor, yes the toilet is blue and yes the sinktop is also blue. although I love the idea of replacing the toilet it is not in the cards for this year. It's not the money it's the lack of time and the need to be able to come to this house and just RELAX for a little while. Putting up beadboard is also out for this year. I just need to get the rooms painted, get my full-time home renovations finished and my son's Sandy damaged home restored and then next year or 18 months we can think about bigger changes. Thanks
December 17, 2012 at 8:21pm   
nasmijati
Paint the walls and vanity white. Get some fluffy white towels, a white bath mat, use white soap. Mini spa!
December 18, 2012 at 6:08am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Donna!
I think the combo of light blue and pale yellow would be perfect for this bathroom. Something like BM Wildflowers(pictured below). For accents, i.e. artwork, towels, etc. keep it to white and light gray. It's a very beachy color scheme.
December 18, 2012 at 7:44am   
bubblyjock
How about working with the blue, and going with lots of rich red and bold white - !
December 18, 2012 at 7:49am   
PRO
Stoneshop
I would paint the walls a light grey, the vanity white or gray, & then throw in pops of yellow with accessories.

[houzz=new project]

[houzz=Kids' Bathroom]
December 18, 2012 at 9:39am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.