Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with dark beams
emsprater
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
In the process of redecorating. Dark stained woodwork, dark stained exposed beams on vaulted ceiling make the rooms cave like. Plans are for a lighter look with whitewashed cedar porcelain plank style tiles, board and batten wall treatment, new shaker style cabinets in kitchen. Updating is for kitchen / great room separated by a one sided brick fireplace wall with built in shelves on either side. Should the dark ( almost black stain ) rough cedar beams be painted to mimic the new flooring color?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
picky1
Why not make it have a rustic feel, and an antique look on the beams, by painting the beams the same color as the cupboards, and rub off some of the paint to show a bit of the dark beams here and there. It will not be a drastic look then for the beams will blend in instead of stick out!
December 17, 2012 at 7:17PM     
emsprater
That's basically what I've planned to do, minus the 'rustic' feel. I'm trying to overcome the cave / dated look, the space hasn't been updated since it was built in the late 70's, and it was already a dated look then. It will be a big project, the vaulted ceiling area covers an area of about 1300 sq feet. The beams are stained: any suggestions for type of paint to use? Oil / alkyd or latex? Brands? The contractor I am using for the kitchen cabinets says the cabinet maker uses Sherwin Williams paint.
December 17, 2012 at 7:22PM   
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Hello empsprater, if you are going for a liighter feel, definitely paint out the beams. Since they are stained (assuming an oil based stain), you will have to use a primer before you apply a latex based (water based) paint. Or you could apply an oil based paint but that's messy and I hate the cleanup. Guess you should ask your painter how he would approach this. And I've used Sherwin Williams paints - they're fine.
December 18, 2012 at 9:53AM     
smartin1
One of the most beautifully done rooms I've seen was painted a gorgeous light taupe and the beams were painted a shade or two darker. Beadboard was placed between the beams and painted the same color as the walls. It provided a very light and airy canvas for the rest of the decor. The beadboard and beams actually brought your eye up the ceiling, making the room appear much more grand on scale than it actually was.
December 18, 2012 at 10:17AM   
emsprater
Thank you for the responses. This is actually one of those 'hybrid' renovations: I have a contractor installing the tile and the new kitchen, I'm doing all the trim work ( the planned board and batten wall trim and all new moldings), all the painting and wallpapering. I'll be dealing with the mess: I've hoped I can paint the beams and then comeback before the paint 'cures' with a ragged bristle brush and slightly 'expose' some of the darker base to match the floor tiles. I plan to use a grout color called 'Navaho' (medium tan, darker than tile but not darker than the wood grain in the tile). Board and batten and walls will be an ivory, same as the new shaker style cabinets. A 'used brick' style humongous fireplace will have to remain as is, can't convince others to change the brick in any way. Home is on a river, going for a modified cape cod / nautical / beach look.
December 18, 2012 at 11:03AM   
emsprater
More tile pictures and a small wallpaper sample. Wallpaper will be 1 full pattern repeat (20") below ceiling to the board and batten trim except on the vaulted walls, will be to ceiling there, will be in entrance hall, kitchen and great room area. Sorry I don't have a better photo of the wallpaper sample.
December 18, 2012 at 11:23AM   
emsprater
Thanks everyone for all the help.
December 20, 2012 at 5:19PM   
emsprater
Layout design for backsplash. Any comments?
December 23, 2012 at 6:00PM   
TanCalGal
I don't think soffit wallpaper is being used any longer. I wouldn't hang it in my home. I don't think the back splash enhances the flooring. R the kitchen cabinets stained or painted?
December 24, 2012 at 5:57PM   
emsprater
The cabinetry is a painted off white (they call it almond, it is more beige / white than the cream / white of ivory) shaker style, I plan to paint trim / board and batten the same color. There is no 'soffit': the room has a vaulted ceiling. The wallpaper will be for the wall above the board and batten ( to wall height of 66"), and above the cabinetry. The color of the back splash sample is a bit off ( darker than reality) and the tile example is from the dealer website, is slightly lighter than reality. The blue and silver glass in the mosaic brings some blue from the counter top to the back splash and the silver of the stainless steel appliances and cabinetry knobs / handles. The cabinetry will have simple crown molding. Wallpaper may be 'out' for some, but I still like some types, especially some of the map styles. To get an idea of scale here, the tallest cabinetry will be over 9 feet high, there is still 2 feet of wall above that ( no soffit) that is where the wallpaper will be .
December 24, 2012 at 6:20PM   
emsprater
Ok, here's the update: Beams have been kept the original dark stain. Floor tile is in, kitchen is in, backsplash is in. ceilings painted bright white. the dark stained trim that was connecting all the beams around the perimeter of the walls has been painted to match the board and batten woodwork that is still being installed. The place has taken a dramatic change, additional lighting, lighter colors over all. The planned wallpaper was changed to something that matched the countertops, backsplash and woodwork colors a little better ( yep, despite the advice of some I'm still using wallpaper on a limited scale). I'll post pictures when it's all done.
March 17, 2013 at 12:04PM