Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen cabinet selection
tkv64
December 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We've decided on the dark, distressed walnut planks for our mountain home floors, but I need help deciding on the cabinets... specifically the type of wood and the color of stain. We've decided against painted, for fear of it looking too cottage-y, but may bring in the painted wood for the island. That being said, I still would like a stain that will "pop" against the floors. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
A rustic cherry or rustic alder would suit the setting. As for the color, something in the red tones to standout from the walnut. You could consider black painted cabs for the island or a deep mocha if complimentary to the flooring.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 8:53PM
tkv64
Thanks... I'll have to try and find some pictures of the rustic cherry and alder. In your experience, that the rustic and distressed wouldn't be "too" much? We're going for mountain contemporary, but I like the idea of the reds popping against the dark... and the deep mocha on the island might be really pretty! Thanks for the advice--
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:01PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Rustic typically means that the wood as knots. You can add distressing but it would look lovely without it.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:17PM
tkv64
I just found two that I really liked and no, it isn't too much distressing. One was an Amish cherry custom cabinet... hadn't really thought about a cabinet that looked so different/unique--- The other was an Alder, which was more traditional (in it's own way) and I like them too. Thanks so much for your thoughts- I feel like I'm heading down the right path now!
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:24PM
tkv64
Here's the link for the Amish... not sure it's mountainy, but I like it... just a different look than I had envisioned:
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:25PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
These look very nice and stylistically appropriate. The fact that you like them is what is really important in this decision.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 9:44PM
tkv64
My friend (in Bellingham) says they'll be too dark against the dark, distressed walnut floors. What are your thoughts? I'm assuming we can always go lighter, but would like to hear from a professional... Everything she's ever done in the two homes she;s built, and one complete remodel, I've loved. So, I assume she's probably right...
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:03AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Your best strategy is to order a door sample (a small monetary investment for the assurance that you will like the end product) and a floor sample and if at all possible view the two together in the space where they will be installed (you want to get the affects of the light in the space on the decision) .
For long-term planning purposes, remember that what may be dark/light to one is not to another, rely on your own gut intuition rather than advice of others who may not have seen the space or the materials you are considering. If you feel like you would benefit from a second opinion, consider hiring a professional designer on an hourly basis.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 10:48AM
PRO
Kitchen & Bath Design Service
What about stained gray cabinets? Are there any gray tones in the walnut floors? I always pay attention to the tones in wood flooring, grey, yellow, red, sometimes even a purple cast. Whatever the tone of the wood, that is your contrast. If you're worried about things being to dark, just lighten the top and wall color. It will look great!
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:52AM
tkv64
That's a good idea ... lighter counter tops. We're actually building so can't see what it looks like in that space, in advance. I'm in the beginning stages of putting things together... we don't break ground until March, but I keep hearing that as much as I can decide upon early, will help. Thanks for your advice
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 2:19PM