Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on my living room
twheat1
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We're trying to finish up the new fireplace. The mantle & carpet are not even finished. Wondering how the vases look on the fireplace & what I should put in them? What about the component cabinet to the right of the fireplace? I can't really put it anywhere else b/c it holds dvd player, wii, playstation & other things that hook to the tv. When Christmas is over, the chaise will move to the other side of the fireplace. How does the couch side of the room look? Does anything need to be changed? I realize the recliner isn't great for the room but there is no way my husband will let me get rid of it. For some reason to me, I kind of feel like the couch side of the room is all kind of matching & the fireplace side is matching but the 2 sides don't really blend. Opinions? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jenna Emrich
I think that your artwork, vases, pillows and window treatments are too dark for this space. The walls all seem very heavy to me. I wonder if you should try to take all of your family photos and place them in a 'collection' on one focal wall rather than having them scattered on each wall (see below). The clock and some of the photos are too low on the wall.

You might find more balance in this space if you 'float' the sectional (move it away from the wall!) Also is there any way to place the dresser that you are using for your gaming systems in the corner of that wall?
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 10:47AM
collettec
I think your walls are too dark for your furniture, your fireplace and your carpet. I like the green but think it would be better several shades lighter. Another color option would be a greige, a combination of gray and brown, but not too dark. An area rug with pattern would help define the space more so that that whole area didn't appear so dark. From there you could take colors for pillows, drapes and other decor. Lighter colored pillows and throws on the furniture would help lighten the look of the room as well. I agree with Jenna that it would help to move your smaller family pictures to one area to create a grouping. With the art above the couch, I think it would help to bring some of that color into the rest of the room as well, perhaps pillows on the chaise to tie it together more.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:23AM
decoenthusiaste
You haven't provided the complete picture via photos. We can barely see the column and arch which appear to be an entrance to your room. I agree about family pictures and prefer them in a secondary space, not the main living space. Do you have a spot for them in the master or in a hallway near it?
I fear you have not selected the best spot in the room for your FP/TV. As a focal point, I would prefer them on a doorless and windowless wall. Your sectional would be much better floating away from the wall turned 180 degrees from the way it is now. Should be out in front of the door, centered before the focal wall. The chaise would tuck into the corner where the sofa is now and the lounger would float with the sectional. Your art is too dark and I don't advise adding anything to a small mantel when there is a TV already.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:28AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I have to agree with what I have read here. The sectional is far too weighty a piece to be pushed against the wall. It needs space to float in the room. Bringing down the wall colour will help a lot to lighten up the room but stay mid-tone rather than too light or you will have too much contrast. You asked about the vases on the fireplace, and mentioned sides of the room matching. I am not a big fan of matching - especially in this case. Symmetry can be a powerful strategy when creating formality but this room isn't trying to be formal. I don't think you need anything right now on the fireplace except the charming stockings but when creating a vignette try to vary the scale of pieces to create interest. Working with threes pretty much guarantees it won't be stiff looking. Hope this helps.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:38AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do agree with the above suggestions. Re-think your art work - take down the 2 matching white frames on either side of door - if they are family pictures, they could join other family portraits on an art wall in another room or hallway. When you take a large space/wall and hang one or two small frames (especially on this dark paint color) it creates too many focal points. Try rearranging your furniture with as already suggested -also if you decide to keep existing wall color add some of same green in with pillows - its hard with the reds of the holiday to see the room as it generally appears but it feels heavy - needs some lightness - the new furniture arrangement might help that however - - start there and see how it feels . . .
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:47AM
twheat1
I appreciate all of your comments. I'm not sure that it would look right to turn this sectional. The sectional can be split apart into 3 separate pieces but the large, (3 cushion) main part is the section that you see against the back wall below the artwork. The short section (2 cushions wide with no arms) is what's on the short wall that goes almost to the doorway. If chaise is attached, it goes at this end which would cover up the front door. If I pull it out away from the wall, the way that it is sitting now, it would cover up the door. If I turn it, the long part (couch will be in the center of my living room facing my front door, the short section would be on the wall the artwork is now & the chaise would be on the wall with the door. Does this make sense? I can't see the couch looking right there. I do agree that the room is dark & would love to lighten it up. I was hoping the family pics with the white mats lightened it some but I guess not. Decorating this room gives me a headache. I fear that the sectional may have also been a bad choice but it's so comfortable & new so it will have to be worked around. I have attached 1 more pic that you can see where it is open to the kitchen with the columns. Hopefully this helps.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 12:13PM
twheat1
Also, the pics don't really show the color of the curtains very well. They are a brown with copper swirls. Also the pics actually make the whole room look a little darker than it actually is. Still too dark but it's not really as dark as the pics make it look.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:20PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Do I have a cool option for you! Have a look at some decorative cork wall tiles. These offer the beauty of laid stone or brick and they can be used as a TV AND fireplace surround. Have a look at some of these photos. You would not have to change a thing about TV placement. All you would need to do is prepare the wall surface with a paint primer and then use a water based contact cement to put the tiles in place. You can have the look of masonry with only a fraction the cost AND it is an easy DIY project. No dust, no dirt, a little bit of primer, some glue and some cork tiles. Done - can be done in a day (so long as the paint primer has enough time to dry)!
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:17PM
pjtime
Love your sectional and the recliner! What a beautiful archway too. Nope on the vases. Too stiff and arranged and not enough space around the TV. At a convenient time, I would try to paint the walls a paler shade. My impression from the pics and from what's being said is that the TV is placed above the fireplace for convenient viewing from the sofa and the recliner and there is not really enough room to turn it back to the arched opening and have it look right. The focal wall with the fireplace and TV is directly across from where it currently resides. Looking at your 4th picture, I keep wanting to center the sectional and have that wonderful painting you have over it centered over the sofa. However that's not possible because the recliner is there in the corner. You really don't have that much furniture, but the sectional is large. I had this problem with a sectional I once had. It could only fit in one way.

I don't think there's any real problem with the sectional side of the room and once your mantel is in place and the other chaise is in the corner where the Christmas tree is, it won't look so unbalanced. I think the big painting over your sofa is striking, but it's hung a bit too low. Maybe raise it up 5 or 6 inches. Your media cabinet looks like a nice piece of furniture, but it's so close in height to the fireplace it looks strange. Is there any way you could get a corner media cabinet that would hold everything? I see a light switch that might be a problem. I think placing the TV in a corner cabinet to the right of the fireplace might look better. If that's not possible, perhaps placing a hutch on top of the media cabinet to at least bring the height up equal to the door on the other side of your fireplace may help balance things.

What kind of mantel were you'all going to do?

I would raise the
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 2:04PM
twheat1
Wow! That makes me feel a little better. The mantle is just going to be black, as well. Should I go with a paler shade but the same basic color or change the wall color all together. I just don't want to paint the room several times & apparently I'm not very good at determining what looks good together. I'm not sure what to do on the media cabinet. i can't really move it any further over. The light switch is not a problem-it doesn't appear to turn anything off or on. I could move the family pics to another room but if I do, do I just leave the wall bare? I really love the drapes in the room, if I could make them work. What do you mean by it looks heavy? Can you offer some suggestions on throw pillows? I painted a lot of the stuff in the room, like the vases on the mantle, vase on the media cabinet & the lamp to match so I suppose I could paint them another color if someone could offer some suggestions. I'm sorry to ask so many questions. Thanks for all of your input!
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 2:56PM
decoenthusiaste
I see I haven't been clear about the sectional yet. Float it like an island in the center of the room; none of the sectional would touch a wall. It would be turned to face the large single wall which would become your focal wall - seen the moment the front door is opened. Your FP/TF centered on that large wall would be the star of the room. Eventually you could even flank the FP/TV with built-in shelving. You don't have to assemble the entire sectional. Put the chaise part in the corner where the sectional is now and angle the lounge chair in the space between the chaise/corner and the sofa. Lounger's back would be to the door, which helps limit the feeling that people are just opening the door and falling directly into your room. This arrangement also gives you the opportunity to replace your ceiling fixture with a drum chandy which could even hang above a coffee table instead of the ottoman. Try floating it and taking more pics. I think it will work and will do wonders for the room.
Heather Garrett Design
Ritz Carlton Baltimore
Rowzee Residence - Living Room
Multi Purpose Room
Farmhouse, Shelter Island
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 3:24PM
pjtime
decoenthusiast...I thought I understood what you were trying to do, but I think twheat is saying there's not enough space to have it floating away from the wall. Doesn't it make your fingers itch to get in there and push and shove it around? But now maybe I think I didn't get it. Are you saying to turn the couch to face the wall it currently rests against? The wall with the big painting? To make that wall the media and fireplace wall?
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 10:48PM
twheat1
If that's what you're saying, that is not possible. It's a gas fireplace with granite tile. It can't be moved.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:37AM
decoenthusiaste
Thought it was a portable one. Too bad we weren't consulted before the installation as the present site is on a very awkward wall for a focal point - off balance, openings, etc.! You can still float the sofa though. Just try it the other direction. Put the chaise in the corner with a floor lamp for a reading area and don't worry that is is behind the main seating area, as it will be a relaxing spot.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:52AM
pjtime
First thing that needs to be done is deciding on a wall color. What is your favorite color? Have you seen an area rug you're crazy about? I can't see the print in your drapes, but perhaps one of those lighter colors in the drapes can be used. You have a beautiful painting above the sectional and perhaps one of those colors can be used as a wall color. I looked a couple days ago on Houzz at images using the search term "brown couch" and saw lots of rooms with beautiful wall colors that went with brown couches. You should do the same to see if you spy a wall color you really like in a lighter shade. I saw some greens, blues, tans and greys that really looked lovely. emcz's suggestion of a greige I think is excellent because your carpet appears to be beige and some of the colors in your curtains appear to be in those tones. Something in than tone would showcase your windows and drapes. Get pint samples of several colors you think might work, and paint patches on the wall above your sofa. Post some pictures of your patches so we can see them and ask for a vote. Lighting and other colors in the room change colors substantially.

Don't worry about pillows, painting your vases or moving your pictures until you decide on a wall color and get your mantel up. I do think a taller media cabinet about the same size and a little narrower than the doorway to the left of the mantel would help balance the media wall, and that a TV in a media cabinet would be better. It's not good for the TV electronics to be near heat, and heat will rise from the fireplace. I wouldn't rush out to buy one until you decide on a lighter wall color because a new taller media cabinet is an opportunity to pull your design colors together and have your media wall pop. If or when you do spring for a new media cabinet, get one with doors that slide in out of the way when you open them. I forgot to pay attention to that feature when I bought a media cabinet and the open doors were irritating to me.

An area rug also would also contribute and can be inspiration for a color scheme. If you see an area rug you love, perhaps colors in it may inspire wall color if you can't decide on anything. Do browse the web for pictures of area rugs and brown couches and see if there are any rugs that really appeal to you, or wall colors with the couches that you like. Houzz images would be great for both searches. Overstock.com had some great area rugs for reasonable prices.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 12:57PM
twheat1
Thanks so much! I really wish you could come to my house. If I picked out a rug & was certain it would match & look great, it would clash. I really don't have a favorite color. I love the paint color that is in there now (Sherwin Williams - Hardware) even though it is so dark. So far, I haven't really a color that I like that is any lighter but I'm leaning towards the greens, tans or grays. The drapes are from jcpenney. The color is called rootbeer copper and are basically brown with copper swirls. They don't have any lighter colors in them. Link to curtains: http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/studio%25e2%2584%25a2-focus-grommet-top-drapery-panel/prod.jump?ppId=1e15e9e&searchTerm=studio+grommet+top+rootbeer+copper&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults . The painting has a lot of gold, copper & green in it. I really don't have anything gray in the room, I don't think. If you have any more suggestions for wall colors that might look good, please let me know. I don't want to change everything out in the room but can do a little at a time. Paint would be a good start. I can also try to rearrange my sectional. Since I can't move the fireplace & tv, do you have a suggestion on where to move it out to? Also, I did some searching for fireplace mantles & am now thinking about putting a white mantle on the fireplace instead of black. Maybe that would help lightening things up too??
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 9:03AM
pjtime
Do you have a paint chip card for the green currently on your walls? What color is it anyway?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:13AM
pjtime
Here are some shades of green might go with your existing walls and if you paint it on your couch wall, it may be just enough that you don't have to repaint the other walls. Make sure to get samples and paint it on the wall behind the sectional and post a pic asking for opinions. I'm not a designer or expert like others on this forum, so maybe with some paint patches one of them will pipe in with some comments to help. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sweetdaphne http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/landscape http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/plantation http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cc-580 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/buddinggreen
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:51AM
pjtime
Oh I see you said it was Sherwin William Hardware that's on there already. Let me go look at the Sherwin Williams site and I'll get back to you.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:53AM
pjtime
Wow on my monitor the SW Hardware color looks absolutely gray. This makes it difficult for me to advise colors, as it looks very dark green in your room on my monitor. I would go at least two shades lighter on that same paint chip card and paint a sample patch on the wall. Here's a link to the paint chip with the colors. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6169-sedate-gray/
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:02PM
twheat1
Sorry it took so long! I've tried out 3 different colors. 2 were supposed to be kind of green but don't look green at all on the wall. I also used a khaki color that I already had a little paint mixed up of. Any better?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:58AM
twheat1
The original paint is a greenish gray but I think it looks really green. Others have called it gray. i went 2 shades lighter on the original color & got whats on the right in the above pic. I still think the paint needs to be a bit green. I'm closer on my mantle also. The dvd player, wii & playstation are now moved so the component cabinet can be moved anywhere, even out of the room, if needed. I plan to go back to the paint store to get some more paint samples. Also the painting above the component cabinet is from somewhere else in the house. Does that look better or worse there? I also bought some other lighter things for the mantle, per some suggestions. Better or worse? Any ideas on any of this?
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:36AM
pjtime
WOW! You've been working! I think it's looking a lot better and is light enough. It doesn't seem nearly so green, but that's probably the time of day and lighting. I liked the greenish cast before, but it was just too dark with your couch and your fireplace, but now both are standing out clearly, and your curtains are also popping, so this may be just the right shade. How do you feel about it? The mantle makes a nice contrast to the fireplace and kind of pulls together your ceiling molding and the doorway and provides more of a focal point and balance for the wall. I see your hubby's chair has been moved--is he OK with it being there or will he want it moved back to where he can sit in it and watch TV? Love the pillow on hubby's chair. Love the round pot and side table next to the couch. I like the new picture and it does help, but still thinking it would be better to get a lighter color and taller media cabinet to be in that corner. Or a picture that is framed in white (taller than wide) to give the illusion of balance. Another idea that comes to mind is a foliage arrangement something similar like manzanita branches with an irregular outline wired with the white Christmas lights entwined in the branches. Kind of sparse and dramatic, but with enough branching to soften the edges of your picture and that corner This could be placed on your existing media center about where the tiny plant is now. The white christmas tree lights might add enough white, light and sparkle to bring that into balance with what is left of the fireplace. You'd want something at least as tall as the right corner of the picture to soften that edge and perhaps even a branch or two rising above the picture in the middle. It's something you can perhaps put together yourself to see if it works. A round pot similar to the one on your side table looks about the right size, color, and height (one that will contrast with lower portion of painting). How tall is the doorway including molding to the left of the fireplace? I like your darker urns better on the mantle because the light ones just fade away and do nothing...LOL, but how about adding something like this to the urns...http://www.nettletonhollow.com/craspedia.html. Actually that website has a lot of neat looking branches and folige, including the iced birch branches that might be cool in the corner arrangement. I like the dark urns, but such a symmetrical arrangement on the mantle needs something to soften it up, and the yellow craspedia would add some informality and color, so you'd get two features in one. What do you think? Anyhow, it is looking wonderful overall from what I can see in the pics! Great job!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 12:51PM
twheat1
It must be the lighting making it look lighter b/c I haven't painted anything but the 1 wall behind the couch & it's 3 different colors. I am seriously considering repainting 1 shade lighter than it currently is. It's called Chatroom & there's a pretty big difference in the 2 shades. My hubby doesn't really like the recliner there b/c now that the mantle is there, it hangs out to far to see the tv so it may end up having to be moved. I tried really hard to get him to get rid of it & it isn't happening. He's ok with getting it reupholestered if I could figure out what color. I'm not sure on the media cabinet in the corner. I've looked online & I guess I'm just not seeing anything I can see looking good there. If you've seen something that would look good there, send me a link so I can see what types of things to look for. What would kind of picture would you go with above the current media cabinet? I looked up the manzanita branches. So you are saying use a pot like the black/gold 1 on my side table with some of these tall manzanita branches & Christmas lights? I'll have to do some more google searching on that 1. I have to have something to go by to make something like that. I found some lighted branches on zgallerie's website that I loved that I could probably do something cool with. I also loved the iced branches that you found but not liking the craspedia stuff at all. The doorway is 83 inches. I really wish that i could add some silver to the room. I search all these rooms & see silver everywhere & I love it but my big painting above my couch is gold so I didn't know if i could add silver to the room. I want to paint something silver! Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:27PM
pjtime
I thought lighting and time of day was part of the problem with your original pictures, but yes, I'd go the lighter shade. Already I can see how lightening up is working just from the change in the lighting of this last set of pics. I'm gonna cruise around the web and look for gold and silver stuff together to see if I can get any ideas and look at media cabinets. I'm into my 4 day 12 hr shift work week now, so I might be sluggish in responding. Yep that was my idea about the pot and Manzanita, but you might just improvise with something like branches from the yard and some lights to get a feel for how it looks. If you change the media cab out that arrangement might not be needed. I'll look around and see if anything pops out at me. I'll try and get some pics or links to things to show.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:22AM
pjtime
Just an idea...do you happen to have a gold framed mirror around you can put over the media center instead? A mirror would add silvery color to your decor and pillows and an area rug could carry that theme further, as well as all kinds of other accent pieces. You could probably brush the frame with silver and use the branching lighted arrangement with something like that, and use the silver things you had on the mantel on top of your media center. Another Houzz blog had this mirror, and I'm thinking something along this line, taller and narrower than your pic, and you could brush the frame with silver, leaving some gold exposed...http://www.houzz.com/discussions/285469/Is-this-mirror-a-keeper--Or-does-it-need
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:44AM
pjtime
Do you like any of these area rugs? They all have silver in them and that might be a good way to coordinate your golds and silvers. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Area-Rugs/Silver,/color,/244/cat.html?sort=Top+Sellers
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:56AM
pjtime
Any rugs you kind of like here? I'm trying to get an idea of what design you would find appealing, and then would look for a rug with similar design that has silver as well as the color of your curtains, etc.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:09AM
PRO
Gear 7 Audio-Visual
I cant see the layout of all the seating, but you could consider mounting the tv in the corner on a cantilever bracket and/or replacing the av unit with something lower and lighter?

This would free the space above the fireplace for artwork or a mirror - something that isn't black half the time!
Chris
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:27AM
twheat1
Thanks everyone! You've given me lots of ideas to check out! I'll spend hours online looking at these things. I had thought about putting the tv in the corner but I wasnt really sure what that wld look like there.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:52PM
twheat1
Apparently, I can't afford a rug anytime in my near future! I love the contemporary rungs though! I think that i would need a large 1 b/c by living room is big & they are expensive.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:28PM
Melanie Hon
I also have a TV and fireplace that are on the same wall, and I think you would be better putting the TV in a small console in the corner where you have the cabinet now, and putting art above the fireplace. You can get something with glass front drawers to hide the PS3, Wii, etc. I measured my space and actually ended up buying a coffee table with an open shelf because I find the PS3 gets really hot when it's in use. Ikea has some cheap options. Just measure the width and that will help narrow it down. Also, they say the best angle to watch TV is when you neck is slightly down. And your husband will be able to see the TV from his chair. Just a thought. Oh and I also put a light on a dimmer behind the TV because "watching a large TV in a dark room can cause a lot of eyestrain. By placing a simple light behind your TV, you create the illusion of depth, resulting in less eyestrain and a more pleasant viewing experience." http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11247_7-6217705-1.html
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:11PM
Melanie Hon
Oh and I also forgot to mention I don't think the end table in the middle of the room is a good spot. It looks odd there. Seeing as you don't seem to use the door next to the fireplace, maybe see if it will go between hubby's chair and the FP or where the tall vase is? That vase can then maybe go on the other side of the door. Otherwise, I like the wall colour and the changes you've made with the furniture placement. The room looks very cozy!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:19PM
pjtime
I agree with Melanie Hon & Gear 7 about the television. It's a great picture Melanie Hon put on there to show what it looks like. The room would look so much better with the television off the mantel and the fireplace would look better. Also I think you'd find it easier to accessorize. I don't mind the end table at the end of the couch. It has a neat shape to it and the placement brings that out. I think the room is starting to come together pretty well and is looking much better. You can do the silver and gold with simple additional accessories and you have a good start. Just take things slow and don't be in a hurry.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:34PM
twheat1
So actually hang the tv in the corner? If so, would I need to purchase a new corner tv stand or would this 1 look ok in the corner?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 8:31AM
twheat1
I'm not sure that's going to work for the layout of the room & furniture. You won't be able to see the tv at all from the recliner or the dining room. It will also be a lot harder to see from the couch unless I move the couch again.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 9:15AM
twheat1
I'm not sure that's going to work for the layout of the room & furniture. You won't be able to see the tv at all from the recliner or the dining room. It will also be a lot harder to see from the couch unless I move the couch again.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 9:18AM
pjtime
You have room to put your tv on top of the existing media stand. I understand where you're at on the ability to view the tv placed catty corner. I would simply place the tv on top of the existing media stand unless/until you find a stand you like better. Would you still be able to view the tv all right if it was next to the fireplace instead of on top of the mantel? Accessories can help it blend better and it would add some balance to the wall.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:55AM
pjtime
Also, just a thought I had last time I was looking at your pictures. I've seen chests repainted with vertical stripes and you'd like to incorporate silver into your color scheme, so perhaps you might think of painting your media cabinet with cream and silver wide vertical stripes, with a little gold at the edges, or gold stripes with silver edging. Just a thought...here's a chest of drawers with stripes that might be similar. http://www.zgallerie.com/p-13097-audrey-3-drawer-chest-striped.aspx
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:10PM
pjtime
If you were able to put your tv on the media stand, that would open the mantel for a really striking decorative accessory that would draw the eye directly to the fireplace and distract from the lack of symmetry in the main components on the wall. Just sayin...
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
twheat1
I love the idea of that but I'm just not sure that you would be able to see the tv from the section of the couch that is facing the front door. That section of the couch is actually even with the tv stand but facing the other direction. You would have to turn your head 90 degrees to the right to see it & if anyone was sitting to your right, they would be in your way. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the striped dresser. That's actually kind of what I was thinking but hadn't been able to locate anything that I liked as well as this yet. I wonder how hard that would be to paint the tv stand like this?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:57PM
pjtime
More ideas...find matching somethings to hang on each side of the tv to look similar to the following attachments. The pictures are of a sliding door system to cover the tv when not in use, but from what I've seen of regular families, especially with kids, is that rarely is that featured used and the tv ends up being exposed anyhow. Plus those things are expensive. But just having the doors on each side of the tv makes the tv part of the design instead of an intrusion. You might be able to get canvas already framed from a hobby store that's the right size for your tv and do your own designs, or look on Ebay for something appropriate in the art section. Or mount window shutters on each side of the tv. Then decorate the corner and or media cabinet like I suggested before in my other messages. http://www.hiddenview.fi/products.php ......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piet-Mondrian-Art-Poster-Composition-with-Red-Yellow-and-Blue-1-/251040468722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a732d8ef2 ..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Day-Break-Sunglow-Lyrical-Island-Abstract-Modern-Canvas-Art-Oil-Paintings-J032-/110879727306?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item19d0f25eca ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINT-Weimaraner-Pop-Dog-Pet-Poster-Art-of-Painting-/250700373393?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item3a5ee81d91 ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/YORKIE-ART-Yorkshire-Terrier-Art-Dog-Pet-Print-Poster-Art-of-Painting-Gift-/250700373426?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item3a5ee81db2 ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-LARGE-FRAMED-ABSTRACT-MODERN-POP-CONTEMPORARY-CANVAS-ART-3-OIL-PAINTING-B481-/140902132152?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item20ce6be9b8
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:11PM
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:12PM
Stacey Rushing
Put the tv on the tv stand and angle everything to face that corner. Lighten the walls to Benjamin Moore camouflage. It's that perfect green. Add in some throw pillows that are burlap shade, maybe monogrammed :) You have everything you need, but the placement needs tweaking. Kirklands and hobby lobby have great cheap art. Pick out something for over the fireplace. Lighten the mantel to a light tan. You can add sconces to the sides of that portrait. You can have blank walls as long as you have focal points that grab the eye. Have your husband hang art to his view line, so it will all be higher. Remember it's your living room and if you like the drapes keep them, I think they are great.... You just need something lighter and by that I mean paint. This house is just too dark and its mixed with dark drapes and dark furniture. We need contrast. Also re think painting the dinning room red walls, lighten all of it up and it will make that beautiful wood work rest in the room, versus making it scram with the high contrast that we have now. Good luck lady. You are a really long day of painting away from the perfect rooms.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:03PM
twheat1
Thank you so much!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:25PM
englishaccent
I see you have gotten a lot of good advise. I can't help but throw my two cents into the mix. :) Attached is a really crude mock up of a suggestion for your mantle wall. I see that you have these wonder pitched ceilings that add architectural interest to the room. However, you have your wall art hanging straight across at the same height which is creating a drop ceiling effect. To add more interest you want to have items at various heights. That also goes for any accessories you have placed in groupings. You will also noticed that I switched the chair to the other side of the room in stead of in front of the closet door. Maybe the black piece can go over in front of the windows. Also, I'm curious why you don't just put you sofa together as it should be since you moved the chair? Well good luck and remember to have fun working on this.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 11:08AM
twheat1
More great ideas! Thanks! At 1 time, I actually had that clock up there. I can move the tv stand out of the room now that I don't have the dvd player & stuff in there. I think that I might like the big vase there. Is that a green plant by the chair? LOL!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:21AM
englishaccent
LOL yes that is how green my thumb is. Since I move your large picture up, I need to fill the space. :)
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:18PM
pjtime
I'm glad someone can do mock ups englishaccent! I've tried a few times with various free software with no success. It sure makes it easier to visualize though!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 6:32PM
braxton1
I think you should remove the chaise from the room and put a nice big floral arrangement with some height on top of the media center , something casual! take all the family pictures and group them in an arrangement in a hallway or bedroom, maybe replace the chaise with a small armless chair.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Need help finishing spare guest bedroom.
I am not sure if the Pottery Barn bed linens cut the...
So you think you have design problems??
We call it The Elephant! Used to be a boarding house/school!...
"House in a Hole"
We are trying to avoid the "House in a Hole" appearance...
Rug color help!
My boyfriend and I moved back in May into our first...
Need help with load bearing wall removal
Between kitchen and den - want to create 14 foot opening...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.