powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Share your New Year's resolutions for your home!
Vanessa Brunner
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Are you making any New Year's resolutions for your home? Instead of the usual organizing project, think about your resolutions differently this year.

We want to know what your home resolutions are — tell us, and your resolution may end up in a featured ideabook!

Do you want to feel happier in your home? Maybe that means you'll finally paint that living room wall a bright pink. Or, maybe you're just choosing not to worry about the little messes that pile up during the week.

Share your New Year's resolutions for your home below, or in this ideabook: http://bit.ly/XB6Wzy
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
My husband made a great new year's resolution one year to immediately throw away any pens he came across that didn't work. Amazingly simple and awesome to get rid of stuff like that. I don't know why the first impulse is to put it back in the drawer and find another one!
4 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:03PM
Darzy
Good one Emily! Hmm..not sure if this fits but I once joked to my husband that I wanted a pair of scissors in every room (drawer) in the house! I could never find scissors where they were "supposed to be". For Christmas he did just that and put scissors in the bathroom drawer, the kitchen "junk" drawer, dresser drawer, desk drawer, wrapping paper box, hall closet, etc! I can always find a pair of scissors now. : ) Whew. Hmm, I guess I "resolved" to be less organized. : )
3 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:16PM
charleee
Darzy! I do the same thing! Except I do it with reading glasses, not scissors :((

And then there is:

paint the dining room
paint both spare rooms
get a lawn in the backyard mud-pit
organize the linen closet (once and for all)
same with the coat closet
paint the chair rail in the living room
get new furniture.

That's it!!!
5 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:37PM
Vanessa Brunner
@Darzy and @Emily, I think those are great!

Mine is kind of along the lines of the pen idea — I need to go through my kitchen and donate everything I don't use. Why do I have so many random Starbucks mugs? I only use two.

I also want to let myself enjoy my apartment a little more — to embrace the imperfections (and the mess) instead of fussing over every little thing. Counting my blessings (and making do with what I have) is going to be a big theme for me in 2013!
5 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:40PM
tennisanyone
I keep a to do list throughout the year and every time I do something I cross it off hoping to complete everything and a few wishes too. Could be as simple as touch up paint in a bedroom or redoing the driveway. It keeps me motivated and I like seeing it on paper so I know how far I have come. I like Darzy idea of scissors in every room. I may add that this year.
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:59PM
Darzy
olldbobbi! Oh yes! Reading glasses everywhere too! lol
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 1:59PM
14thstreet
I plan to make my storage room a place to work on projects and crafts also. Workbench, storage, etc.
3 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 2:53PM
lizzybethme
My husband and I will be so blessed the first week of the new year...it's projected move-in day for our newly constructed home! :) One of my resolutions is to start clutter free. I want to go through everything and sell/donate the things we don't need and organize all of our office stuff. Why do I hang on to paid invoices or bills from 3 years ago? Maybe I should get a shredder!! Also, a big goal/project for the year (and many more, I'm sure) is to landscape. We have 1.5 acres that is a blank canvas. Not one single tree!!
3 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 7:16PM
emsprater
Discard ALL junk or unnecessary mail as it is brought into the house every day. This is my biggest source of clutter.
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 8:16PM
orangecamera
I posted this on another thread somewhere, so you may have seen it before. Several years ago my resolution was to buy fresh flowers every week for a year. Almost always just a $3 bunch from the supermarket. That year I did white flowers all year. I haven't chosen color(s) for 2013 yet, but will do flowers as soon as I move in January.

Also trying to go "clutter-free" with this move, and start with an organized garage.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 10:18PM
orangecamera
Oh, and the scissor thing. I had scissors everywhere on purpose. When I started packing to move, I found 8 pairs of scissors in 5 rooms. They are all together now, waiting to be redistributed! Somehow 8 pairs of scissors is ok for me, but 12 mugs isn't!
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 10:22PM
Manon Floreat
Yes, Vanessa - gratitude is the theme for me too in 2013. How fortunate I am to have a peaceful place to live!
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 10:41PM
olldroo
No time for specific resolutions but being in the middle of a total home renovation my aim for 2013 is to seriously push forward with all planned work. Full painting, new floor coverings, light fittings, furniture where necessary, curtains and decorating accessories. Each room has or will be totally emptied, clutter eliminated, and better methods of storage sourced and nothing goes back that isn't absolutely necessary. Planned end result - a fresh, modern, easy clean home to relax in and enjoy. Will it happen? Like all resolutions, probably not, but won't be for lack of trying................ come back to me for 2014 resolutions.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 12:07AM
bellandromeda
Many many things I want to do with our little apartment - it is my home. Maybe I will do a repainting of the majority of the walls. Change of color schemes. Haha, I want to experiment spicing it up with bold and striking colors - it seems so dull. I am planning to buy new furnitures too but not all gradual changes as every day of the year 2013 will resume, I promise to have a change one step at a time.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:13AM
imahunch
I 'm with OrangeCamera - fresh flowers every week is something I've been doing for years. They don't need to be expensive, just get them for a couple bucks at the grocery store. It makes all the difference. Then in the warm weather you can add additional small vases of fresh cut flowers - and the vase could be as simple as used glass bottle of milk. It makes all the difference; I promise.
3 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 4:38AM
jumelle
finish painting all the dark trim in my house, paint living room,dining room and kitchen,also put up wainscoting in the dining room,and try to decide on where to buy my appliances,cabinets and flooring for my kitchen not to mention who I can trust to do a good job for me. I hope all these years of saving doesn't disappoint me. Good luck to all this new year
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 5:03AM
lkw524
Start with reorganize the kitchen. Move on the paint the bathrooms and try to accomplish one thing each week that we have been putting off because it just seems overwhelming--like clean the basement!
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 10:22AM
PRO
Walker Woodworking
re-painting our home and new living room furniture
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 10:37AM
hnks
decorate and furnish the great room in my new house.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:00AM
chamz
Renovation is on pause for now. So for the new year i want to complete the rooms that have been remodeled. That would include:-
1.plastering the walls and painting the living room and dining room
2. attacking the kitchen counter tops and backsplash...and painting the kitchen

These 3 rooms flow one into the other so i want to get the finished look in this area of the house.

I think it would make sense to approach the tasks in doses since it can become overwhelming when you really look at all the things that need to be completed.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:05AM
rudi2010
New comforter in master bedroom, sheets/pillows. We NEED some comfort in our lives~
A place to love to go everynite.
2 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 3:45PM
olldroo
rudi - and a good night's sleep means a fresh start to each day.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 3:54PM
charleee
rud2010, that is too true!
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 3:54PM
Anabelle Levi
Decorate our guest bedroom. It needs new carpets, and a new matress on the bed... No one wants to stay in there!
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 4:05PM
charleee
Actually, I thought of one more. To have more money than ideas.
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:20AM
olldroo
bobbi!!!!!! Talking the Federal Treasury aren't you ...........You never run out of ideas.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 5:56PM