Cost?
Sheryl VanderPol
December 18, 2012 in Photo Questions
Per square foot?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
That has a complicated answer because of the various and combined factors:

1. Art licensing - this artist charges 33% of my wholesale price. If the art does not need licensing (i.e. it is their own) then there is no charge for this.

2. Is the project for resale or is it the end user? I have a wholesale discounting structure for designers or builders that will be reselling the work.

3. Grout lines: for every mural I plan out the grout lines to optimize the overall look. This takes into account not only the desired tile size, but also whether important image details are interrupted. Often I need to shift the grout line grid by perhaps a half tile width to avoid cutting through some image feature(s). This then necessitates cutting (and polishing) the edge tiles - which increases the number of pieces.

4. How many pieces? Making a mural with smaller tiles require about the same amount of work per tile as working with larger tiles. Labor is the most significant cost in making a mural such as this.

5. Image processing: An image capture from a professional giclee house or photographer will usually be ready for me to use. However this is not always the case. If I have to get involved in processing the image to restore an old photograph, add text, clean up dust and dirt, etc, that will add to the cost. Of course, there is the old adage: garbage in, garbage out. I always recommend getting the highest quality image to start with in order to realize the best image quality in the finished mural.

6. Installation: I can sell the tile as loose pieces shipped to any location for installation on site. Packaging and shipping costs are added when I know what these will be. This particular mural is free standing. The tiles and custom granite frame are cemented to a cement backer board. In this format it can be supported on a wall even inside a sauna or steam room, The tiles and frame could also have been installed by a contractor cementing them permanently to a blank wall, shower, or the tiles alone to the bottom of a pool or fountain. The frame was fabricated by a local granite supplier who also needs to be paid.

This is not only a work of art by the artist, but a work of art in fabricating and installing the finished project. As a result it can get expensive - especially for larger installations. For this I often recommend using larger tiles whenever possible - this is the most important factor in reducing the costs.

To give you an idea of pricing, this sunflower mural (using 6"x6" porcelain tiles with no cuts and a custom absolute black granite frame) would sell for ~$3200 retail + shipping. However it's important to point out that every project is custom and needs to be quoted individually.

I've attached a photo of this same mural covered with snow to point out that what started as a watercolor image which would otherwise be ruined by weather, has been transformed into an enduring outdoor art piece which is now completely weatherproof, and will never fade.

I would appreciate your feedback.
December 18, 2012 at 10:18AM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Sheryl Vanderpol - No response?
December 21, 2012 at 7:15AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.