Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Blank slate guest room
cjley
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a blank empty room with a bed and a dresser must stay. It's not very big. Painted a very neutral gray, gentle rain 790E-2 by Behr. I want to paint the dresser.. Need help on the color and hardware for that and any design suggestions. I attached a pic with dimensions and the current space plan. It's not much. Also a pic of our old dresser and the room color. The X in the space plan is a closet in another room that sticks out into this one. I am attaching some photos that speak to our aesthetic in our home. Will have to post more in the comments since they all won't attach. Colors we love are greens, blues (especially richer blues and navy and peacock colors) and greys but I also love another color palette I will attach in a comment. Mainly I'm looking for a side table, headboard (was leaning toward a recycled bar wood headboard), a chandelier, and linen suggestions. We do like a touch of rustic but not overwhelmingly. I like metallics as well.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjley
More things I love
December 18, 2012 at 10:04AM   
cjley
More
December 18, 2012 at 10:05AM   
cjley
And the last of it.. Including another palette I like that I found using the Behr coordinator.
December 18, 2012 at 10:10AM   
cjley
Oh and the dimensions of the dresser are L 31" x D 19" x H 48". Bed is 74" x 54".
December 18, 2012 at 10:13AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd paint the dresser a dark blue, somewhere between royal and navy. Then I'd apply some dull metallic silver finish to the medallion on the second drawer of the dresser and change the knobs to pewter.

I like the upholstered headboard shown below and would add to it bedding in navy with lime green accents. I'd repeat the lime with a rug in that color.

The chandelier below is a nice style tho I have no idea what size it is. I think you should have something in the 25" diameter range.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Aged Pewter Beaded Cabinet Knob with Backplane Skyline Furniture Tufted Wingback Headboard Chenille & Jute Rug, Lime Green Trump Home New York Transitional Chandelier - ELK-31013-3
December 18, 2012 at 10:25AM   
houssaon
Well, you have a decision to make. Do you like the gray with blue and green or the gray with mauve and brown better? I would search linens first. These linens would work with the mauve palette: Stella Quilt, Sugar Plum, Tilonia Home: King Duvet Set - Fancy Paisley in Gold, Traditions by Pamela Kline Renaissance Bed Linens Standard Sham, Lucia Standard Pillow Sham and Geometric Print Designer Duvet Cover, The Laurel.

If you go for that palette, then paint the dresser the brown and glaze it with silver. The gray stripe rug is perfect for either scheme.
December 18, 2012 at 10:25AM   
cjley
I guess my concern about going with the mauve/brown palette is that nothing else in our home is really like that with the exception of a cheap chocolate brown sectional that will be replaced sometime in the next year. Would it be weird in a house of gray/blue/green to have a mauve room?
December 18, 2012 at 11:21AM   
cjley
Carolyn, would the Windsor haze 560F-6 by Behr work (first pic)? Was also looking at satin Oxford blue by Krylon (2nd brighter blue). I'm having a hard time picturing lime green with the first one... But maybe?
December 18, 2012 at 1:50PM   
cjley
Or this kind of blue? I think this one would work...
December 18, 2012 at 1:57PM   
December 18, 2012 at 2:11PM   
PRO
I don't have a Behr paint deck. However, I'm thinking a darker blue such as Sherwin Williams SW6803 Dignity Blue or even better I like these grayish blues: SW6243 Distance and 6244 Naval, with Distance being my favorite. But do look at bedding first. It doesn't have to match exactly, but they have to live happily together.
Carolyn
December 18, 2012 at 3:10PM   
Donald
Check out stikwood.com, might make an interesting headboard
December 18, 2012 at 3:38PM   
cjley
Anyone hae good recommendations on linens for this project?
December 19, 2012 at 5:32PM   
PRO
Yes, indeedy. Your project came to mind this morning when I received an email from West Elm with a designer preview of their new spring line which has lots of blue and white bedding. You'll probably have to wait a few weeks as we designers get news on this sort of thing before it appears in the stores or online but the blue/gray tones definitely made me think of you.
December 19, 2012 at 8:59PM   
cjley
Oh I wish I could see! I love west elm :) I'm holding out for something I love. I have seen ones I like.. But if I have to agonize that much if I really want them, that means I don't love it and shouldn't get it. In the mean time I have simple white sheets and duvet that I will use. That silver deer head I posted I ordered and it arrived yesterday so I keep fussing over the wall decor and what I want to do now... I did find a navy faux fur throw on clearance and snatched it up immediately because it was so pretty and soft and "spoke" to me :) Carolyn, u have been a wonderful help in guiding me the direction I want to go :) and everyone else's comments have been helpful too! I did decide to reupholster a headboard I found with a grey velvet for my bed as well :) so at least I have a headboard and a piece of wall decor and a throw!
December 20, 2012 at 3:55PM   
PRO
Hey, cjley, you're off to a great start with your headboard that will be upholstered in gray velvet and your fab faux fur navy throw! Now hold tight for West Elm's new Spring offerings which I think will work wonderfully for you!
December 20, 2012 at 5:28PM   
PRO
Keep checking the West Elm website for their Spring preview. They'll probably show the preview before things hit the stores. You'll love it!
December 20, 2012 at 6:32PM   
cjley
I get their emails on sales and new items, so will definitely be looking out for that. I was at target today and looked at window treatments just because. Nate berkus has these metallic drapes there. I do love a little bit of metallic. And they play a little to the hardware you recommended for the dresser. Could these work you think?
December 20, 2012 at 6:42PM   
PRO
Don't know, won't know, until you select the bedding. Patience, my dear!
December 20, 2012 at 7:12PM   
cjley
Lol I was thinking as much. But I just really love the metallic but definitely won't commit just yet. Thanks :)
December 20, 2012 at 7:19PM   
cjley
So it's slowly coming together... I finally found a color to paint the dresser I'm in love with based off this one pillow I found that I'm going to use to roll with the rest of the design. I really like how the dresser turned out. I didn't get a chance to do the medallion yet tho. Or the headboard. But we r getting there!
December 31, 2012 at 8:26AM   
PRO
Your dresser is looking great and I love your inspiration pillow! Good work, cj!
December 31, 2012 at 8:53AM