Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for open living space
aminac
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need some suggestions like adding some color, decorations ect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The third pic is reverse view.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Paint your walls out a warm light gray color - currently it's too much brown/tans. Get new drapery panels that go roughly floor to ceiling in a accent color pulled from your rug. Add pillows in same accent color. Purchase a larger scale art print for above your sofa and hang it about 6" above the sofa.
December 18, 2012 at 10:17AM   
Jenna Emrich
I would definitely change the wall color. It does not really play well with the black furniture. A softer beige would look much better (see photo below). I would also suggest getting longer curtains and installing them higher so that they fall from ceiling to floor. Larger pieces of art/mirrors would also fill up the space a bit more. The three photos that you have above the couch look too small for that space.
December 18, 2012 at 10:18AM   
aminac
Thanks for the suggestions, would you add any color in the form of pillows or art? If yes, what color?
Thanks
December 18, 2012 at 10:26AM   
Jenna Emrich
I would keep the artwork neutral go with blue pillows in several shades. I think that the reddish tones in your current pillows are too much with the carpet.
December 18, 2012 at 10:35AM   
aminac
I also need some suggestions for overhead lighting .....and what if repainting the walls isn't an option for now? I also wonder if the carpet needs changing nod if yes what color?
December 19, 2012 at 9:13PM   
mjlb
Can't see the entire space, but it does look unbalanced with all of the furniture weight on one side of the room. I think reversing locations of seating vs TV might work better. A much larger rug would anchor the seating area better. Perhaps the existing rug could be used under the dining table. You have very little pattern in the room, so a patterned rug or curtains would help enliven all that brown.
December 19, 2012 at 9:41PM     
aminac
This is a pic of the whole room
December 19, 2012 at 9:55PM   
designideas4me
curtains seem too low and too heavy . Try sheers or modern open curtains.
December 19, 2012 at 10:13PM   
janishill
Turn your rug the other way.

Because the furniture fabric has a stripe (due to the nap) your throw pillows don't work very well. Try a solid teal then add some prints as well. Buy 2 or 3 different sizes for added interest. Add a throw to snuggle under. Mjlb is right about switching the side of the room the furniture goes on.

Add lumbar shaped, teal printed throw pillows to the two chairs withthe table between them.

Add new drapery panels. Hang them high and wide as seen in the attached illustration. A print with teal, off white, beige, and or brown would be gorgeous.

Remove the table runner from the coffee table. Add a large, flat basket. Put a candle, some books, an interesting vase or a vase of flowers, a kaladiscope, a wooden puzzle, or anything else yo ufind interesting in it.

The 3 small pictures above your sofa are hanging much to high and are far too small for the wall they are on. Find one large, long picture that picks up the wall color and the teal accent color. Hang it about 6" above your sofa. The 3 small pictures could be hung where the clock is. They should hang with one above the other. The top of the first one should be no higher then the top of the clock. You can find very inexpensive art work here: http://www.allposters.com/?aid=1023741760&DestType=3&Referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Faclk%3Fsa%3Dl%26ai%3DCjP9qmanSULWrMaXL6QG%5Fy4DwC6KdizrOy%2D%5FeH6LZjzAIABABIO2K3wZQ7svyvPz%5F&VTP=Start&NetWorkType=g&PAdCopyId=8432567166&ClickPos=1t1&VTP=End&KWID=74281047&KWID=742810474&gclid=CLW686SnqLQCFQWe4AodgjQAzg&SEM=lang%3D1%26AID%3D1023741760%26KWID%3D742810474%26gclid%3DCLW686SnqLQCFQWe4AodgjQAzg

In the dining area center the shelf on that wall. The large basket should be centered on the top. The two small plants need to go. Place a couple of large teal vases on the top left and one teal vase on the right side. (see photo)

Hang a small chandelier in place of the bright ceiling light.

Add a table runner that has the teal accent color in it and an interesting rug.

Add a runner that picks up the living room colors to the hallway for a finished look.

Hope to see updates soon!
December 19, 2012 at 10:35PM     
kathleen MK
I don't think gray walls will work well with the brown sofas. I'd just add more color in art work on the walls and bright pillows. The 3 pictures are too high and small. Add some other small framed photos or paintings to expand the grouping. Or replace them with one large bright piece. You can change pillows ,curtains (or just the tie-backs) and tablecloths with seasonal colors. Warm oranges and golds for fall and cool blues and greens for spring. Pick art that you love and pull the colors from that. I can see sage or moss green working with what you have or coppery tones. i think just a few bright accents will make a big difference.
December 19, 2012 at 10:36PM     
aminac
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll post some updates as soon as I have them :)
December 20, 2012 at 1:13AM     
janishill
Whoops. Here is an idea of art for above the sofa. It is what I intended to post instead of posting the accent color twice. :-)
December 20, 2012 at 5:01AM     
aminac
I was thinking the art above the sofa needed to be landscape ?
December 20, 2012 at 7:07AM   
aminac
Or multiple ones just larger and lower?
December 20, 2012 at 7:08AM   
mjlb
If you do reverse TV/seating, you could probably move the two small chairs (currently in dining area) to either side of TV. And artwork in portrait orientation, not landscape, over sofa would probably look better.

You might also try rotating your dining table 90-degrees so that the area is more fully used for dining, than for walkway and secondary seating. The shelving might then go across from the dining room window, with artwork where shelving was prior.

It looks like you have a laundry room visible at end of hallway. You'll want to keep that door closed for a nicer view. That's a really wide hallway -- I think it needs some furniture and artwork as well. I'd paint the HVAC vent trim the wall color to make it less noticeable too. Another thing that you could try is to move the shelving partly into the open hallway to block the laundry room view. It may (or may not -- you'd just have to try to find out) look interesting to have partly open and partly closed storage on that wall.

b-t-w, your curtains do look much better open.
December 20, 2012 at 7:30AM   
mjlb
This has probably been mentioned already, but I'd add a colorful runner or placements on your dining table. If the tablecloth is to protect table surface, I'd add a piece of glass on top of the table instead. An overhead chandelier/pendant light would also accent the dining area.
December 20, 2012 at 7:33AM   
mjlb
Maybe the exercise machine could go in hallway?
December 20, 2012 at 7:37AM     
mjlb
Another possibility for screening part of the hallway:
http://www.gaiam.com/natural-bamboo-screen/05-0669,default,pd.html
December 20, 2012 at 7:38AM   
aminac
That's the kitchen at the end of the hallway and the entrance. It's actually quite wide and yes I agree it needs some furniture
December 20, 2012 at 7:45AM   
janishill
I think landscape is best, but this one had all the right colors. You can purchase 2 that are similar, but different.

You posted the second set of pictures while I was writing the first post last night. They do help, but I would still like to see what is across from the table and down the hall (looking from the dining area.)

The plastic on the table has to go. If you are worried about it being damaged buy a table pad to protect it.

The drapes do look better open, but they don't do justice to the room. Try the new ones hung high and wide. You will be amazed by how much better your rooms look.

Why don't you start by moving the living room furniture to the other wall, then take pictures and we will all go from there.
December 20, 2012 at 8:01AM   
aminac
I will move the furniture and see how it looks but I need to get an extension for the tv cable first....in the meantime here is some more pics
December 20, 2012 at 8:25AM   
aminac
One more
December 20, 2012 at 8:30AM   
aminac
Ok forget about the plastic in the corner of the second pic I just pulled it off the table and dumped it there :)
December 20, 2012 at 8:36AM     
mjlb
Openness has its drawbacks... For example, the ceiling outside your kitchen looks to be a commercial dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights? If changing that is not a priority, it would really help to lower the soffit (with drywall or even just hang something the proper dimension) over the opening so that the ceiling is not visible.

Is that your main entry door to the left of the door with white trim? If so, I'd paint the kitchen door trim the same color as the wall, and do a different color on the main door -- maybe just white, but something to set it apart.

It looks like there is a light source behind the wall with the shelving? Too bad that's not the open side of that wall.

Now that there is a head-on shot of the TV area, I would suggest placing the two towers together to make an asymmetrical arrangement. It looks as though you had that thought since your shelves are staggered. I'd extend that with an asymmetrical arrangement of the towers as well. You could probably use the three small art pieces above the sofa to complete the vignette.
December 20, 2012 at 8:41AM   
PRO
Prime Walls
If Teal is the colour you plan on going with for your accessories, I would suggest doing a Teal accent wall behind the couch; this is your largest wall and it is the foundation for your furniture layout. here is a beautiful option:
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/78

I would than find a nice warm grey to paint the rest of the space. The colour you currently have on your walls overwhelms the space with the same tone, it leaves it seemingly "flat"
Whickham Gray by Benjamin Moore is a great soft, warm grey that will work with your existing furniture as well as accomidate the use of the teal.

Good Luck; Primewalls.com
December 20, 2012 at 8:55AM   
mjlb
Aminac wrote that painting was not in the near future. In a way, the gold walls already are an accent color, so perhaps introduce quite a lot of white to balance all the brown in there now. Then just a few bits of any other bright color such as red or green. Also, if the wall color eventually changes, the white accessories would still be useful.

Along those lines, maybe a brown/white patterned rug would pick up white flooring, plus introduce some color. Maybe design similar to fretwork, or possibly even cowhide rugs.
December 20, 2012 at 9:06AM   
aminac
Thanks for all the great ideas.... Lots of things to consider I will keep u posted as I go along.... Just in case I do decide to repaint the walls in say 6 months time, the wall u suggest to be teal is the wall currently behind the sofa, or the wall that will be behind the sofa once I turn around the furniture?
December 20, 2012 at 9:20AM   
janishill
Actually the wall color is the primary color, brown from the large furniture pieces is the secondary color and teal would be the accent color.

Again, the place to start is rearranging the furniture one room/space at a time.

Let's use the KISS principal ~ keep it super simple, keep it simple sir.
December 20, 2012 at 9:27AM   
PRO
Prime Walls
The wall that ends up being the foundation wall for the furniture once you move it. The Feature wall is a strong statement wall and is great to use as a foundation for your furniture placement. You wouldnt want to have a visual fight. this is usually the wall opposite the tv, or focal point once seated in the space. But yes, keep it simple, re arrange your funiture, fill in the blanks and when youre ready to paint or change the walls, you have some great starting points!

Primewalls.
December 20, 2012 at 9:32AM   
aminac
Back to the curtains.... Which of these would work best?
December 20, 2012 at 9:33AM     
aminac
December 20, 2012 at 9:34AM   
mjlb
Janis, I like your KISS principal "~ keep it super simple, keep it simple sir" better than mine -- I always heard it called "keep it simple, stupid"!
December 20, 2012 at 9:48AM     
nevadan
Match your walls to your furniture. Throw away those drapes. Buy much larger lamps. More your art into the bedroom and get something much larger for that wall. Use accent pillows and artwork for your color. Maybe you have too many sofas?
December 20, 2012 at 10:10AM   
aminac
Any suggestions on the curtains?
December 20, 2012 at 11:20AM   
janishill
Are you going to use teal as your accent color? You could also use green, orange, or red.
December 20, 2012 at 11:50AM   
aminac
I'm leaning toward teal, maybe green
December 20, 2012 at 11:54AM   
PRO
Butterfly Yao
Your flooring is similar like this picture. How about this paint. Your dinning table and sofa are dark color, that can be match, so you only need to change the wall paint. And it's good to put some red or blue color decoration, very comfortable and warm space.
December 20, 2012 at 12:28PM     
mjlb
Clearly, I'm procrastinating - but do you like any of these rugs (2 postings):
December 20, 2012 at 1:44PM   
mjlb
and the rest:
December 20, 2012 at 1:46PM   
mjlb
a couple more:
December 20, 2012 at 2:02PM   
aminac
There are a few I would pick....some nice choices.
Would I have suggestions for the curtains as well?
December 20, 2012 at 10:51PM   
aminac
Ok I moved the furniture around.... But I left the two shelves which were above the tv there for the time being bcs I need to drill holes in the other wall ect...this is just a rough idea .....any feedback?
December 21, 2012 at 2:00AM   
aminac
Here are the pics
December 21, 2012 at 2:02AM   
aminac
December 21, 2012 at 2:03AM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, Cheery Curtains have lots of curtains that you may like. Here attached are some photos for your reference.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 21, 2012 at 2:11AM   
aminac
But now this space is very empty
December 21, 2012 at 2:15AM   
aminac
Another angle of the dining area
December 21, 2012 at 2:17AM   
janishill
The question I have is where is your entrance door? I don't like the furniture like that. It should be turned in such a way that guests can easily step in and have a seat.

I want to say "Put it back!", but I would like to see the area directly across from the table first. I wonder if that area would function better as the living room. Can you post a picture taken while standing in front of the dining room window looking toward the oppostie side?

Try turning your table so the short end is toward the wall where the shelving unit was.

Love the drapery panels on the bottom right side that Cheery Curtains posted. They would be perfect for your rooms. The tones are right and they have the gold in them.

I don't think you need a new rug just yet. I really think getting the furniture arranged in a comfortable, useable way is the first priority.
December 21, 2012 at 5:06AM   
aminac
The first pic is from the dining room window, second one from the living room window... The door at the end of the hallway is the entrance
December 21, 2012 at 5:42AM   
janishill
How large is that entrance area? Can you show a picture of it from side to side and top to bottom? I wonder if you could put the two chairs and table in there to make the space welcoming?
December 21, 2012 at 7:00AM   
PRO
Universal Stretch Ceilings
We would like to suggest you to make an accent wall and put a stretch ceiling. This combination will create cozy atmosphere in your living-dining room combination!
December 21, 2012 at 7:54AM   
mjlb
I want to say 'put it back' too, and feel really badly that you moved it for nothing. The only thing that perhaps works is the dining room table rotation.
December 22, 2012 at 6:46PM   
aminac
I put it back the same day, didn't like it at all either. My priority now is to look for new curtains and throw pillows and add some color.
December 22, 2012 at 7:46PM     
aminac
But I wonder if patterned throw pillows would work on the striped couch maybe I should just keep them plain.
December 22, 2012 at 7:47PM   
kathleen MK
You can mix patterns depending on the scale and colors. The stripe is very subtle so you have a chance to be bold with pillow in a bright hue.
December 22, 2012 at 10:56PM     
aminac
Which art would you pick for above the couch?
December 24, 2012 at 9:25PM   
designideas4me
what did you pick for a rug? Are you set on keeping the furniture that you have? Whats your remodeling budget?
December 24, 2012 at 11:07PM   
aminac
Yes I have to keep all the furniture, I would change the curtains and would like to add teal as my accent color. I can't do everything at once, some time in the future I would also repaint , maybe in a years time. For now I would just like to add color and as I mentioned change the curtains. I found some other wall art I really liked but need advice if it would go well to replace the three small frames which are above the couch.
December 24, 2012 at 11:16PM   
aminac
December 24, 2012 at 11:27PM   
designideas4me
those are interesting. more organic. The bottom right has teal and brown... your main color
December 24, 2012 at 11:46PM   
PRO
liyong
首先你墙面颜色一定要改,现在看起来颜色有点沉闷,不够活跃,墙面可以考虑用照片墙的方式,这样墙面会丰富很多,我想沙发之类的家具是不能放弃的,这样成本太高,太浪费,改变下窗帘款式及颜色,地毯也要换。
December 25, 2012 at 12:11AM   
designideas4me
I have to agree with Liyong... I think thats the solution ........ok. problem solved.
December 25, 2012 at 1:18AM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, Liyong, are you also from China? I've followed you on Houzz and I'm so glad to meet you here!
December 25, 2012 at 1:23AM   
janishill
The very first picture you posted is perfect. It will tie the wall color, the sofa color and the accent color (teal) all together. Great choice. By th etime you add teal throw pillows, drapes, and a couple of other accessories the teal in the picture will pop.

May I ask what site these are on?
December 25, 2012 at 4:42AM   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I agree, go back to original layout except turn rug 90 degrees. The shelves over the sofa are not to my liking. I would purchase any large painting that you like. Do not match your artwork to your sofas. The room is actually neutral enough that what ever you chose will look great. Then take the colors from the painting and use them for your pillow colors. Since teal is the accent color it would be nice if the painting had a bit of teal in it but it is not a must. All the colors do not need to match but harmonize. You might want an interesting table next to sofa by the window and a matching pair of lamps that are larger in scale. Also when you replace the curtains be sure to get some that touch the floor In regards to new drapes I think that I would stick with a solid color with some wide trim or banding on the leading edge for interest. This trim could be in the teal color. Would love to see how it all turns out!
December 25, 2012 at 5:12AM   
aminac
The paintings are on amazon...and I also liked the first one, then I saw the style in the second set of pics I posted and couldn't decide anymore :)
December 25, 2012 at 5:52AM     
helponcolor
Your selection on amazon is nice.Pick the red ones that add more color to your existing wall paint .BTW share us the amazon link for the products.
December 25, 2012 at 6:32AM   
helponcolor
Also for curtains,I would pick the middle one of the second row.Good luck.
December 25, 2012 at 6:34AM   
myrielle
it would look great in yellow I promise have fun merry Christmas
December 25, 2012 at 8:34AM   
Donna Cheek
Definitely rotate the rug 90 degrees.

Try to match the size and shape of your pictures to the walls on which they hang (ex.-hang small rectangular pictures in a small rectangular space). Hang the pictures so the center is at eye-level. If hung above a piece of furniture, hang the bottom of the art no higher than 6-8 inches above the furniture piece.

In dining room, a buffet or chest with matching lamps on each end would look nice. On that note, balance the lamps that you have on each side of the sofa. They need to be the same height on each side. Draperies will look very nice (definitely from ceiling to floor).

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
December 25, 2012 at 9:22PM   
Donna Cheek
Definitely rotate the rug 90 degrees.

Try to match the size and shape of your pictures to the walls on which they hang (ex.-hang small rectangular pictures in a small rectangular space). Hang the pictures so the center is at eye-level. If hung above a piece of furniture, hang the bottom of the art no higher than 6-8 inches above the furniture piece.

In dining room, a buffet or chest with matching lamps on each end would look nice. On that note, balance the lamps that you have on each side of the sofa. They need to be the same height on each side. Draperies will look very nice (definitely from ceiling to floor).

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
December 25, 2012 at 9:23PM   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

change the lamps - go for something more vibrant with crystal hanging
the carpet below the centre table is dull - change it to some colorful / vibrant

The pictures hanging on the sofa backdrop - change them to some colorful ones with large size frames

regards
December 25, 2012 at 10:06PM   
aminac
I'm back with more questions :)
Is this hanging lamp too small for the living space? The pic isn't very clear so I added a second pic of the same lamp but smaller. What about the art? How would it look above the sofa if I find a second one, same but different. Thanks for ur feedback
January 2, 2013 at 10:06PM   
janishill
That looks like a pendent light that would go over an island. It would be distracting hung in the middle of the room.

You need something that is simple, yet lovely. I am ataching a couple of pictures.

You also need bulkier looking lamps. I am including images to give you an idea of what to look for.

The artwork is OK It matches your walls very well and doesn't really introduce color to the space. Something with more life to it would work better. Keep looking. :-)
January 3, 2013 at 5:09AM   
aminac
Thanks for your feedback your ideas are great, I'm a bit slow at implementing them but I will get there some day :-) I really love the art I previously showed u on amazon I might just go ahead and order it
January 3, 2013 at 5:44AM     
aminac
I finally decided to paint the wall an accent color. The other walls are supposed to be a deset beige but turned out different. Now my question is that I feel the facing wall with the windows should also be teal.The pics show a work in progress bcs I really dont want to hang anything before I'm sure I'm done. I don't have the option of changing the beige now unfortunately!! I really feel a bit stuck :(
September 1, 2013 at 10:23PM   
aminac
More pics
September 1, 2013 at 10:33PM     
aminac
Or should I paint the facing wall a dark brown color? Help I really feel lost :)
September 1, 2013 at 11:07PM   
janishill
It's too late to go back, but I think it would have worked better and would have been easier to add accent pieces: art, drapes, etc. in a deep shade of teal.
Since you have already begun painting you should also paint the window wall.
September 2, 2013 at 6:28AM   
njmomma
*Here are some inspirational pics to help you choose the style you want this living room to be. It helps everyone if you have a feel for what you want .

Then we can help you recreate the look.

Hope this helps.
September 2, 2013 at 7:34AM   
njmomma
September 2, 2013 at 7:37AM   
njmomma
one more!
September 2, 2013 at 7:37AM   
aminac
This is what it looks like half way through....I feel I need dark brown drapes now more than ever! Still need to hang the art....
September 2, 2013 at 9:37AM     
njmomma
Maybe it's me, but I think dark brown drapes may make the room look very heavy.
September 2, 2013 at 10:09AM     
njmomma
I think you need to find a drape that is primarily blue with a brown and beige print to pull the room together.
September 2, 2013 at 10:15AM     
aminac
So u like the drapes in the current color? This is how they look closed....
Im just about ready to despair....seems decorating is not really my talent :(
September 2, 2013 at 10:18AM   
njmomma
Before you buy drapes, pick out your artwork, put it up and then order drapes.

You do not want your artwork and drapes to compete. You want them to work together.

So artwork first.
September 2, 2013 at 10:30AM      Thanked by aminac
aminac
What about these drapes? Artwork?
Thanks everyone
September 3, 2013 at 3:42AM   
aminac
I just realised that the artwork pic didn't upload!
September 3, 2013 at 4:40AM     
debbiet55555
I'd put a side board and a pretty round mirror where the two chairs are.
September 3, 2013 at 4:47AM   
janishill
The pictures have white in them. You could introduce a little more so it would brighten your space. Try buying a large container (flower pot) and sitting your corn plant (tall plant right of window) in it. Don't replant it. Just set the plastic pot down inside it.

The drapes you have picked out are dark and depressing. Try something like this http://www.potterybarn.com/products/magarite-embroidered-drape/?pkey=cpattern-drapes-curtains&
to add life to the space!

Have you thought about just adding Roman style panels to each window? They would look something like the attached picture.

Your pictures are lovely, but they are hung way to high! Drop them down about 3 inches. Art should only be 6 to 12 inches up from the back of the sofa or the edge of a table.
September 3, 2013 at 6:20AM      Thanked by aminac
aminac
But would white drapes go with the brown couches?
Is there a way to simulate it on my room?
September 3, 2013 at 7:47AM   
janishill
If you were to use the Pottery Barn drapes (see attached picture) they would be perfect! They have all the colors; rust, teal, brown, beige, white. They would bring the entire room together.
September 3, 2013 at 8:09AM     
janishill
aminacI didn't suggest you use white drapes. I suggested you use drapes that have a little white in them! And that you use a white flower pot to put your tall plant in.
September 3, 2013 at 8:11AM      Thanked by aminac
aminac
What about these?
September 3, 2013 at 8:52AM     
aminac
Fabric close up
September 3, 2013 at 8:56AM     
aminac
By the way these drapes have extra length on them so they could be installed higher up as well
September 3, 2013 at 9:10AM     
aminac
Better simulation lol
by the way I have these drapes in a different room so don't worry that I already purchased them, Ican easily not use them :-)
September 3, 2013 at 9:30AM   
aminac
September 3, 2013 at 9:31AM     
aminac
Any feedback anyone? :-)
September 3, 2013 at 11:45AM   
janishill
I am in and out through the day, but am back now.

These are sooo much better. They work beautifully with the art work as well. It looks like they are just grazing the floor, which is what you want. Your old ones are too short. :-)
September 3, 2013 at 12:34PM        Thanked by aminac
aminac
What about these curtains?
September 5, 2013 at 7:23AM   
aminac
Or these?
September 5, 2013 at 7:33AM   
janishill
I prefer the first ones. The ones you already have. The lighter color in the background brightens the room subtly and makes it look more put together. And they are perfect with the art work!
September 5, 2013 at 8:32AM        Thanked by aminac
edithsmom
aminac, I have been following this thread and have to say, your teal walls are a perfect color...perhaps they seem bright to you because of the prior pale shade? You have done a good job of bringing in your teal for pillows, accents. Perhaps your lighting problem can be solved by finding a larger table lamp for between the loveseat and sofa and then you could use the smaller lamp on the small table between the two chairs.
September 5, 2013 at 9:05AM     
aminac
The curtains I already have need some modifications so I guess I'll go ahead and do that....I guess I wanted to see if I could find something nicer :-)
some of my friends said the curtains you liked are too busy....I guess thats what made me hesitate a bit, even though I was really excited when I first realized they match
And yes maybe I can spend the money on new lamps and maybe a new rug :-)
Thanks everyone :-)
September 5, 2013 at 9:26AM   
aminac
What do you think if I hand the 3 pictures that were above the couch either on the wall where the clock is, or on the wall next to the dining table cornering the shelving unit? or should i just find a different room for them?
September 5, 2013 at 11:52AM   
aminac
This is one of the pictures
September 5, 2013 at 11:54AM   
njmomma
I think they would look nice next to the dining table. In a vertical line.

I also like the lighter curtains, the off white, with leaves. There are no prints in the room and your curtains bring in a nice print that coordinates with your art.
September 5, 2013 at 2:29PM     
3517carol
Aminac, you have gotten lots of good advice, but, I have a question. What is the name of the two brown chairs with blonde wood? I am looking for one like that. I have enjoyed following your thread and anxious to see your end result. Happy Decorating and enjoy!!
September 5, 2013 at 5:59PM   
janishill
You are going about this the wrong way. First finish the living room area then we will talk about the dining area :-)

If I were you I would hang the new drapes and lower the art a few inches. If you do these two tasks your room will begin to look like one you might see in a magazine.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures when you are finished with just these two thing!
. :-)
September 5, 2013 at 9:16PM   
pbjammin
Can you switch your living room vignette so the "weight" of the sofas is on the opposite wall? To balance out the dining room table....
I'd put the rug under the DR table, and get a different and larger rug for the LR.
I'd definitely get longer curtains. Try Overstock.com for large and inexpensive ideas. If you can't paint the walls, then cover them with great big art for those big walls. Overstock, Art.com and Z Gallery have large, colorful, inexpensive art.
September 5, 2013 at 9:32PM   
Adrianne
Sofa back table would help transition.. It would also hide the back of the couch.. you can do decor with your accent colors..
A dome with robins nest... to add texture and tie together brown in with robin egg blue
Gary + Gayle: Cincinnati, Ohio
Transitional family room with custom bookcases, ombre rug and ikat drapes.
Some Cherry blossom branches for a camouflage to separate the two spaces
Urban Living - Pacific Heights
September 5, 2013 at 9:35PM   
aminac
3517carol, the brown chairs are from ikea
janishill ok ok one thing at a time :-)
The drapes you liked need to be wider bcs they were for different windows.
I was thinking of sewing two pairs together to widen them....or would it spoil the print?
September 5, 2013 at 11:42PM   
janishill
Unless they match perfectly do not sew them together! Just hang a pair and push them to the sides, them add a large roller shade so when you want light you can open it and at night you can close it. With a shade all you will need is one pair of curtains.

I am attaching a picture. The one in the picture is no large enough and it is the wrong color. It is just so you have an idea of what I am talking about
September 6, 2013 at 9:34AM      Thanked by aminac
aminac
That's a really good idea!! What color do u suggest for the shade? I also liked the idea of Roman style panels. I'll be looking around :-) just hope it doesn't take as long as last time lol
September 6, 2013 at 10:38AM   
janishill
Take a drapery panel and match the shade to the light background color or order swatches from Country Curtains. The styles are NOT all country - BTW. :-)
September 6, 2013 at 5:25PM   
aminac
I havent done anything about the drapes yet bcs I am now considering changing the paint color :s
I would go a few shades darker....in the meantime, I kind of like this rug, any feedback?
September 13, 2013 at 1:58PM   
aminac
September 13, 2013 at 2:03PM   
janishill
You are spinning your wheels. You don't know what you want or what style you like. You will never be happy until you figure it out. And that is what I think.
September 13, 2013 at 7:01PM      Thanked by aminac
aminac
Maybe I forgot to mention that its my husband who totally hates the new paint color and thats why I am thinking of changing it! I thought this was a place where I could get advice, not be judged because maybe I am struggling to really find what I like.
thanks anyway for all your help up to now and I won't be annoying you anymore.
September 13, 2013 at 11:17PM   
edithsmom
janishill...seriously? Is there not a kinder, more respectful way to express your opinion?
September 15, 2013 at 6:18AM        Thanked by aminac
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Decorative panels and full sheer would look amazing on these windows and made the room more modern.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
September 15, 2013 at 3:12PM   
debbiet55555
Heres some curtains at lowes!
October 27, 2013 at 6:06PM   
debbiet55555
Teal or turquoise looks great with brown.
October 27, 2013 at 6:07PM   
debbiet55555
You need a pattern curtain to really make the room pop!
October 29, 2013 at 4:01AM   
debbiet55555
Why don't you go with this blue color.
November 16, 2013 at 5:07AM   
debbiet55555
Or this color
November 16, 2013 at 4:06PM