Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
DINING ROOM
sondramartina
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This room is adjoined to the dining room .What kind of dining furniture do you see in combination with this living room?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jenna Emrich
How about something a little rustic but with a modern application, like these reclaimed wood tables with a more modern, upholstered chair?
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 10:33AM
sondramartina
Jenna I love that .But I just realized that I forgot to mention that this in the room too.Too many different wood types? Or not?
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 10:43AM
Jenna Emrich
The table that I suggested does not work with tv stand...the tv stand does not really look like it fits with the rest of the room design though. Too bad you cannot paint it white :)
3 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 10:51AM
sondramartina
I know they are not perfect combo but it is not that bad,here is another photo.I am planing to put some wall paper in the back of the openings.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:01AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
You might even paint the media unit the wall colour. That way it will camouflage into the wall a bit and doesn't stand out as such a different style. Then you might be okay to go with a rustic table like Jenna suggested.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:03AM
collettec
Perhaps a table with a grayish wood tone top to pull from the couch and walls - could still go modern and rustic and wood chairs in a natural wood finish.
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:29AM
sondramartina
It will be very difficult to find table with grayish wood tone reasonably priced and with right size.I need smaller one that could be extended.This is what I have found.What do you think? What chair would look better?
Dining room shows existing set which I hate!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:55AM
sondramartina
Forgot to attach this chair
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:59AM
patriciarhall
painting the media unit will transform the look. Houzzers gave me the courage to go ahead and paint mine!
5 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:03AM
14thstreet
A gray-wash table or a white laquer table would be sharp, but in order to make it work with the large entertainment unit, you should incorporate some traditional detail either in the shape of the legs of the table or the chairs. http://www.beemod.com/armani-white-lacquer-dining-table.html?cvsfa=3925&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=61726d616e692d77686974652d6c6163717565722d64696e696e672d7461626c65&gclid=CPek3tG7qbQCFQinPAodfFYAxg
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:06AM
sondramartina
@patriciarhall
Did you hire someone to paint your unit? Was it a big job?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:24AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would look on the Drexel furniture website. They have many styles of dining room tables available and a lot of them say you can order a custom finish. Drexel is quality furniture and they list the furniture stores that carry Drexel. If you don't see one at that particular store, I am sure you could order. I have done that many times over the years when I had a particular item in mind but could not find it locally. Just talk to the store manager or dept manager.

I have posted a link to Drexel's site and 1 particular style of table; but there are others on the site.

http://www.drexelheritage.com/Furniture/Dining-Room-Furniture/At-Home-in-the-Wine-Country/i438723-Alameda-Double-Pedestal-Table.aspx
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:36AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Lots of good comments above. I throw my vote with painting the wall unit. I recommend painting it dark gray or black and then installing a lighter shade of gray grass cloth in the bookcase backs. a collection of black, white and gray ceramics would pop. Painting the wall unit will give the room a sophisticated eclectic European look. 14thstreet's furniture style recommendation would help bridge the traditional wall unit with the more contemporary peices in the living room. A white dining table and black or gray washed chairs would look great.
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:40AM
mmilos
I wouldn't paint the wall unit. It's nice to have a mix of modern and classic furniture. That's what makes a room interesting and less like it's straight out of a catalog. I would perhaps get a round glass topped dining table and then put classically modern klismos style dining chairs in the same wood tones as your media cabinet.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:48AM
patriciarhall
sondramartina, I painted the unit myself. Took my time over a period of 2 weeks. Used Annie Sloan chalk paint in a white tone - two coats, then glazed with Ralph Lauren antique glaze in 1/2 tea stain, then two coats of polyurethane in satin. Looks really good! I think Tres Mckinney design has the right advice for this particular unit and room.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 10:04AM
sondramartina
I would rather avoid painting the wall unit but somehow I have to find the way to bridge that gap.My head is spinning these days thinking of this. The easiest solution would be to get rid of the unit but then I would have to buy something else plus dining set which i can not afford at the moment.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:19AM
patriciarhall
little steps, sondramartina. your thought of paining the inside backs of the media unit is great, and you should do what you want and what is comfortable for you. hope you like the rustic table with upholstered chairs for your dining area. Your living area is very lovely and tasteful!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:23AM
sondramartina
Thank you Patricia. We are all trying to make our spaces look nice with more or less success. :)
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:34AM
sondramartina
Do you guys think that Rustoleum would do the job instead of Annie Sloan paint? Which one is easier to work with?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:48AM
collettec
Just wanted to note about the dining table and chairs. Like everyone's suggestions about the dining table and chairs options, including the white lacquer table. Not sure of your budget and what would be available as you noted was the case for the gray table. Did want to note that if you did decide to go with something like the gray table that you showed, I would go with the white upholstered chairs that you showed right next to it, rather than the wood back ones, in order to bring some more traditional elements for right next to the entertainment center - as was 14th street's note. I think the entertainment center works well there, so not something you have to replace. Paint changes you can take a step at a time so I wouldn't stress about it.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 11:55AM
sondramartina
This photo gave me an idea. Paint my existing table metal frame to glossy white and then add wooden chairs in same color as my entertainment unit. After that I can decide what to do with glass top,leave it or paint it. How's that sound?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:55PM
sondramartina
Hubby just said he can remove this curvy metal decorations. Here is the photo from different angle
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:50PM
sondramartina
Or just paint table top high gloss white and leave legs black together with wooden chairs like entertainment unit?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:40PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
This looks about right as a compromise with the existing style and the wall unit
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:08PM
jjandhk
I love the room just the way you have it! And i love your dining table also. I would change the chairs to the dark wood ones you had pictured; and lower the chandelier to about 32" above the table. Very beautiful!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:36PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
May be this dining set will suit to your room? http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/memphis-5-pc-rectangular-dining-set-102756-set-5
A rich Cappuccino finish gives it a chic look. Set includes Dining table and 4 Chairs.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:52PM
14thstreet
You have a great idea to rework your existing table! Removing the scroll detail and making the metal a smooth glossy white will be a beautiful contrast to some darker wooden chairs. Can't wait to see how that turns out!

I like sondramartina's chair suggestion above, or a chair like this would be great if you had charcoal fabric on the seat. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Diamond-Back-Dark-Mahogany-Tan-Side-Chairs-Set-of-2/5606501/product.html
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:33AM
sondramartina
I am very excited about that idea and I hope it's gonna work.Does anyone know what kind of paint should I use to paint metal table legs?
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 7:44AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Upholstered dining chairs will help balance the weight of the wall unit and also the sofa in the other side of the room. They are more comfortable than all wood chairs. It is also a nice way to add fabric to a dining room which is otherwise mostly wood table, chairs and hutches. The upholsterd chair you originally picturred with the parson style table would work well with most table styles. I recommend that you wait until you can afford a table with an extension that you like rather than a temporary limited size table that limits seating options. Paint the one you have now and eliminate the curly elements. If your budget permits I recommend that you purchase 4-6 chairs that you can use with your existing table as well as any furture table. I agree you should drop the light fixture over the table.
If your table legs are metal you could use rustoleum paint. It looks like your table has a glass top which would look fine with new white legs and base. You can paint the underside of the glass white as well but it need to be a flawless paint job or you will see any brush marks or uneven spray.
2 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 4:23PM
sondramartina
Tres McKinney great advice. It covers different scenarios. I will buy chairs first,try them with existing table and go from there.Thank you so much.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 5:41PM
jjandhk
I agree--lose the curlicues on the table; but I still like it black ;)
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:18PM
sondramartina
I found these in West Elm,is gray one too dark in current scenario?
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 8:02PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
The chairs are nice looking. The dark gray might get a bit lost with your gray walls but if you paint the dining table white I think they could work. It may be hard to find a gray and white print in a retail store but you might check out Room and Board to see what options they have in a similar styled chair. In the image of your dining area the walls look a lighter gray than the living room side but that might just be the photo. Your sofa is a darker gray than the walls and looks great. The gray chair pictured does not look much darker than your sofa so I think it will work fine and tie the two areas together.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:22AM
14thstreet
If it has expresso/brown legs, I dont think so. ( I meant to answer your question: "is gray one too dark in current scenario?") I think it looks good.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 8:22AM
sondramartina
@14thstreet you mean expresso chair legs would not work with unit color? I will pay attention to wood color when choosing chairs!

Walls are same color in living and dining room
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Cost of heated driveway and entry stairs.
Will be replacing a black top circle driveway and concrete...
Need help with our 70s era split level exterior.
We are going to be doing a second floor addition over...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
Wanting to put slate tile floor in entry way, hesitant, needing advice
Anyone out there used slate tile floor in entry way/walkways?...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.