Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with old cottage renovation
Elizabeth Julian
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need ideas on color schemes, thinking of light yellow with rooster accents, but confused at this point. Want to keep the original charm with black appliances to match the sink. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Oooh, black appliances just don't go with a cottage look in my opinion. Can you swap out the sink and go with white or stainless appliances? These would better compliment your color scheme. I think black would just be too stark in this scenario.
December 18, 2012 at 12:40PM     
Elizabeth Julian
I was using black to tie to the slate sink. Accenting with rug with French country rug with black background. You don't think that would work?
December 18, 2012 at 1:54PM   
kah416
Do you have any pictures you could upload so we could get a better idea? :)
December 18, 2012 at 6:25PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
In my mind I can see an old black French iron stove, in a sooty condition, so I can understand what Elizabeth may be thinking. I think the black can work well, while the white might look too new and pristine.
December 18, 2012 at 6:39PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Here is an example with a bit cottage feel.

December 18, 2012 at 6:39PM     
carolannr
I think the black appliances could still be cottagey if you stuck with brighter colors like yellow, red( i.e. your roosters) that will carry the theme. The cabinets have to be darker like those above to handle the heavy contrast. Also, the floor.
December 18, 2012 at 6:46PM     
PRO
An old stone floor would be appropriate.
December 18, 2012 at 6:50PM     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I think if the sink is black, and the ground on the French Country rug is black you should be okay with the black appliances. It would be great if you could post a picture. We are weighing in kind of blind :-)
December 18, 2012 at 7:00PM     
PRO
It would be great if you had some black on some of your cabinets as well, see attached
December 18, 2012 at 7:07PM     
PRO
Maybe black strap style hinges on the cabinets.
December 18, 2012 at 7:10PM     
Elizabeth Julian
Love that look! Thank you!!!
December 18, 2012 at 8:08PM   
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Hi, I agree with many of the above comments. My fear is that a black fridge would overwhelm the room because it takes up so much visual space.
December 19, 2012 at 1:38PM   
PRO
I think you're right, PH, I was thinking range and D/W, not refrigerator. I'd do it in SS.
December 19, 2012 at 1:42PM     
Elizabeth Julian
Will have pictures tomorrow. SS really doesn't match the cottage look I am trying to achieve plus too much maintenance. If I need a wood panel on the refrigerator I will get it so it blends better.
Sorry my pictures were all in a power point presentation and I can't get them out. But contractor and I are doing before pictures tomorrow, so I will post them.
December 19, 2012 at 4:13PM   
PRO
Ah, yes, wood panel would be better on the refrigerator and the dishwasher.
December 19, 2012 at 4:17PM   
Elizabeth Julian
Ha ha, perhaps I should have made cottage clearer. There is no dishwasher, I am on a septic system. This is a 1920 cottage with tongue and groove kitchen, wood floors, brick fireplace in center of kitchen. You will see pictures tomorrow. LOTS of windows!
December 19, 2012 at 4:19PM   
PRO
I'm eager to see the photos. I adore the French countryside and can well understand that you might like a kitchen that reflects that part of the world.
December 19, 2012 at 5:31PM   
Elizabeth Julian
This is a picture from the lower level of the kitchen, probably an office area. Will post more pics if it helps
December 20, 2012 at 4:44PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I've been in so many European kitchens (Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, UK) and have been impressed with the integrated panels that are used on dishwashers and fridges! I think you would have an amazing look, for the least amount of money, to go with matching paneling on the fridge/dishwasher!!! Go for it! The rest of the world does it! Why not North America!
December 20, 2012 at 5:42PM   
PRO
Vive la France!
December 20, 2012 at 6:13PM   
PRO
Elizabeth, where is your fridge. The photo on the left is really hazy and I'm having trouble seeing.
Would you consider doing the bottom cabinets in black, with the pine showing through on the edges and using a black and white toile on that curtained area on the left as well as, or a complimentary fabric over the window? Then if the fridge is black it won't be such a major black component in the kitchen. The other option would be to purchase a fridge that has a panelled front and have the panels done in the pine.

See the very rough image attached
December 20, 2012 at 6:13PM   
Elizabeth Julian
The refrigerator is to the right of the cabinet drawers on the right. An island will be in the forefront of the picture. I like your idea plus I must have something in the windows as they face the south and it is blinding! Where the cabinet curtains are in your picture is where I placed the black stove today. That makes a nice continuation of color and line. I will update the picture as we make some progress. Now how do you feel about wall color? It is currently mocha which accents nothing!
December 21, 2012 at 10:22AM   
Elizabeth Julian
making progress will send some pictures soon
January 17, 2013 at 1:32PM   
PRO
I like the blue on the pickets, perhaps a creamy yellow, not too bright on the walls, or a paler grayer shade of that blue.

I did a cottage in Ontario this past summer and we did the black on the bottom and the pine on top. No picture yet, but I will attach a computer generated rendering.
January 17, 2013 at 6:21PM   
Elizabeth Julian
yes, I am trying a pale cream, should have in-progress pictures next week.
January 17, 2013 at 8:56PM   
PRO
Hi Elizabeth. This is the very small kitchen in an Ontario cottage - the clients had wanted all pine, with white appliances, the contractor had painted the walls raspberry. We changed the walls to the camel colour which came from their choice of flooring and then did the base cabinets in the black with the pine showing through and purchased s/s appliances. This gave the space a more cohesive look and made it feel bigger. We also tied the same finishes in at the entry. I've attached a photo of what we did as opposed to what they were going to do so you can see the impact that decisions make on the finished results
January 19, 2013 at 8:03AM   
PRO
Here are photos the client were gracious enough to send me. Haven't had them professionally done yet. Hope this helps :-)
January 19, 2013 at 8:06AM   
carolannr
Great job!
January 19, 2013 at 8:54AM   
PRO
Thank you carolannr. Elizabeth here is one more photo showing the panels on the front of the fridge. Would be perfect to help integrate the fridge into the rest of the kitchen
January 19, 2013 at 9:16AM   
Elizabeth Julian
New cabinets are going up next week, i will post some pictures then so you can see how it is coming. Remember it is still a construction site! That is what I have to keep telling myself. Your picture is very nice, I can't wait for you to see how similar our ideas are but yet different.
January 19, 2013 at 2:00PM   
Elizabeth Julian
The cabinets have not been stained yet to match the rest of the wood but here are a couple images of the first phase of cabinets.
January 22, 2013 at 3:34PM   
Elizabeth Julian
cabinets over island
January 22, 2013 at 3:36PM   
PRO
Looks Good Elizabeth
January 22, 2013 at 3:43PM   
Elizabeth Julian
It is coming!
January 22, 2013 at 5:17PM   
Elizabeth Julian
Yes, the walls will be a pale yellow.
February 12, 2013 at 12:19PM