Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
upholstery/fabric directions???
maury
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I can't, for the life of me, decide on an upholstery fabric for a pair of chairs like the one pictured here. The idea is for a gentleman's club feel. Love mohair...too expensive for these chairs. Love a men's suiting look, maybe a very subtle plaid? Medium to charcoal gray. Should the welting be of a contrast color, or keep it simple? Any tufting for the back? Please help me... I love these chairs and want to nail it!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elklaker
I love the idea of charcoal suiting fabric (wool or similar?). I can see tufting but no contrasting welting. What are your other furnishings/colors?
Sounds like a fun project. Be sure to post some pictures. Enjoy!
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 2:38PM
judianna20
If you are willing to spend $$$ on these chairs (I would, too), I would most definitely choose Ultrasuede, the real deal. It is a beautiful fabric and tough as nails.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 2:46PM
orangecamera
Medium charcoal gray with a subtle pinstripe.

(I googled "gentleman's club" to get some ideas...but I think what I found wasn't the type of gentleman's club you meant!)
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 2:51PM
red_neck_gurl
Plaid would be a manly choice and give it that traditional den feel.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:17PM
charleee
A gray/black tweed or herringbone would be great!
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 2:05AM
PRO
Tanya Burley Design - The Studio on First
Please DON"T use Ultrasuede!! A beautiful Grey wool subtle menswear plaid on the back and change texture to a solid on the front would also be Gorge and exciting. I can also see a charcoal cotton velvet on front and a slubby linen on the back. Texture changes on a great piece can add a custom and very high-end look. Just make sure you get the mix right. Lovely chairs! Have fun!
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 2:55AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would start by adding a bun foot or a heavier leg to update the chair over all. A Tapestry in a manly print or a small geometric , houthshound or paisley and lumbar pillows in leather would update the chair. Your could also trim the base edge of the chair in nail head tacks. It would help if you had a picture of the room they will be in. Maybe even a matching round no fussy ottoman too. Have fun, Kevin
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:58AM
Donald
I would do the chair in a chalk stripe, charcoal, and the seat cushion in a coordinating plaid, with a black trim on both to really tie it together
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 4:09AM
charleee
Donald, I LOVE that idea! Or even the chalk stripe front, plaid back!....Bobbi
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 6:56AM
mbear2119
Please post pictures when you have decided and the chairs are finished. I love, love, love that chair!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:27AM
apple_pie_order
A good upholsterer will have samples you can borrow (with a deposit) to see how the fabric looks with the other furnishings. If you get contrast welting, make sure it is dark and sturdy. The current chair shows what happens to welting on the seat cushion: it gets dirty and worn. Charcoal gray fabric with a black welting would look sharp.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:28AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest a herringbone or small plaid in the colors from your rug. Navy would be a handsome color, and depending on how busy you want it to be, a contrasting welt would be very sharp. I'm picturing a Ralph Lauren look.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:00AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think Gabberts is right that navy would look fab, and Ralph has lots of the right look for your chair. I'd definitely do a tufted back.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 7:01AM
maury
Great ideas, all! Thanks for the recs. This pair came from a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore and initially had a tufted cushion on the back with tassels and brass acorns on the top corners and skirting to boot. Will post pics!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:20AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.