powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with a wall in my living room!
jlewiles
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help me I hit a block! What could I do with this wall? We are hanging a white deer head above the tv, but the wall with the zebra painting is making me draw a blank. Help please! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chainey
Not having seen the rest of the layout of the room I am not sure if this is viable or not but I'm wondering if you have thought about putting the TV on a diagonal in the corner of the room (below the zebra)? Then you could put something small on that wall where the zebra is ... maybe even the candle sconce that is to the right of the TV at the moment? This may free up some room on the wall where the TV is currently. Just a thought ...
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 3:56PM
decoenthusiaste
Where is the furniture? Usually, art visually attaches to furnishings... The zebra and fireplace and TV are acting as three competing elements - all large, all dark, all demanding to be seen. Perhaps we could help if we could see the entire room and the furnishings.
4 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 5:00PM
judianna20
A real deer head?
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 5:07PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
A mounted hunting trophy rarely looks good in anything but a "huntin' lodge". The black/white theme you have going on here would be in strong contrast to the "rough and tumble" surroundings that usually go with taxidermy. If you are looking at painting the walls a forest green, ripping out the carpets and putting in reclaimed hardwood/softwood planks and stripping the fireplace of it's white paint then you would be heading in the "right direction" for the mounted trophy. If not, you may want to express this "huntin' lodge" in another room. If you really want the trophy, put it above the fireplace and put the mirror above the TV OR put the zebra beside the TV and the mirror where the zebra is and then install some book shelves/toy storage area under the mirror/where the zebra currently sits.

And remember, find out from your taxidermist how to maintain the trophy. Nothing says "icky" like hunting trophies full of cobwebs, dust and an "oily" coat. Know when to bring them down, how to dust them and how/with what the hair should be maintained.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 5:20PM
jlewiles
I have a very eclectic since of style
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 5:54PM
jlewiles
Not a real deer head! It's a paper mâché one from west elm. The couch is on the opposite corner because its a sectional and that's the only was the L will let me have it. I have a chair on the opposite side I redid.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 6:01PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
My first thought would be to find a new place for your zebra. It is quite large and will take "main stage" on whatever wall you put it on and therefore always compete for your attention. I would make one clear "focal wall" in your living room by painting your fireplace wall a rich vibrant colour and then moving your TV unit to the same wall as the fireplace. That way your eye automatically goes to your fireplace and then to the TV.
4 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 9:49PM
dtlajessie
I think the zebra is to large for that area. Maybe a small gallery wall instead.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 9:51PM
khalsteadtx
Paint the area between the bricks black on the fireplace, plus the mantle, hang the deer head above the fireplace and keep the mantle free of other objects, except maybe the white candle sticks and dark owl or the peacock blue vases sitting on the hearth. Place the TV and unit on the same wall as the fireplace and use the open shelves to place the white deer head and white owls from your mantle. Take the zebra and place it on the wall where the TV previously sat. The mirror can be used elsewhere.
3 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:32AM
Dar Eckert
I guess I see a upholstered bench below the zebra or a chaise lounge and lamp. I think the deer head will not show up on your off white walls. Maybe paint the TV wall a taupe or brown.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 7:08AM
PRO
TOMHILL STUDIO
How about painting the entire fireplace (brick & chimney) a warm white (Ben Moore 967, or your current trim color) and the fireplace wall (only) a deep grey (like Ben Moore HC-166) to highlight the focal wall? This grey is a dramatic neutral and your current accent colors (teal and purples) will look nice sitting on it.
I agree with a previous comment that the deer head over the fireplace seems appropriate and will become more 'textural' on the new white finish. Less is more so just this sculptural element with perhaps your owls below is enough. Relocate mirror to another room.
It is tough to get a sense of the furniture, windows, and circulation without all the pics but can you move the TV and cabinet beside the fireplace (left of- I'm not an angled furniture fan) so this wall is the focal point? I would also keep the top of the cabinet free of anything but the TV (no lamp it's distracting and prob wouldn't be used when TV is on anyway).
How about the zebra to the wall where the TV is currently? From what I see of the room, I think this may give more balance. An upholstered bench below the zebra may help anchor this wall as well + provide addt'l seating for kids or when friends come over to watch the game.
Good luck and have fun!
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 7:21AM
nevadan
To decorate a living room, you have to first have some sense of what your style is plus how you will use the room. Is it for men? Women? Family? kids? Do you have a separate family room? Just reading your statement, it would seem that your room will be used mostly for TV viewing. In that case, your screen should be wall mounted and higher up.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 7:27AM
PRO
Prime Walls
because of the use of a dear head and the eclectic taste you certainly have, I would consider using some sort of pattern or texture for the single wall with the fireplace and zebra picture, or for the whole room in general, it will fill in some of the blank spaces you are concerned with, and will set a great back drop for the deer head. My thoughts are earthy and rustic tones and texture, to get that feel of "hunting lodge" but in a trendy and modern twist!

Here are some of the textures I was thinking of: http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/685 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/672 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/683

I also attached an image of the product being used in a space to show you the overall aesthetic and mood it gives off; quite unified and sets a great backdrop for the rest of your accessories and furnishings!
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 7:41AM
PRO
Prime Walls
another room shot for you!

Prime walls.com
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 7:42AM
PRO
Mclean Furniture Design and Gallery
If I were you just based on what I can see I would raise it up a little bit and put an accent table below it.
I would center it under the artwork, and make sure it isn't too deep. Maybe place a large palm in the corner to the left of it.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 7:58AM
PRO
Chicago ReDesign
If you want to keep the zebra painting there I would add a low bench (like this one from West Elm) below it. To balance out the space you should probably add some taller decorative elements in the corner between the zebra picture and the TV wall.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:42AM
dtlajessie
Here's some pic on how I have my deer head mounted and ideas tv and fireplace..I'm a visual person ;)
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:44AM
dtlajessie
Oops here's the photos. You should paint the walls white and fireplace dark gray, to give it a crisp look.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:56AM
PRO
Karlene Hunter Baum, Allied ASID
HI! I agree with the comments to move your tv to the fireplace wall and the zebra art can go on the wall the tv is on now. You may still feel like it needs to be anchored so you could put a bench under it. I would also follow the advice of putting the deer head above the fireplace. I think the vertical surfaces in your room could add a lot of depth and interest to your space by painting them different depths of the same color. I would put a medium to deep taupe color on the tv/fireplace wall, paint the cream wood work on the fireplace a dark taupe and all the other walls could be a medium to light taupe. This adds richness and soft contrast on otherwise unexciting surfaces. Have fun! Karlene
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 9:07AM
PRO
The Look Interiors, Inc.
This room presents a challenge with dueling focal points and an offset fireplace, but you're well on your way to having fun with it and making it work. I'm going to throw out a crazy idea. You know you're going to watch tv in this room, but let's really make the fireplace wall spectacular by painting it a deep teal blue like Behr Tropical Splash 540D-5...either side of the fireplace. When you get your deer head (hopefully you ordered the large one) go buy an empty black picture frame or paint one on the wall over your mantel (large enough to extend 5 or 6" out from deer head all the way around). Paint the wall inside the frame a lavender (like your chair) Behr Pixie Violet 620B-4 and hang the deer head in the center. When you can, add tower book shelves to either side of the tv cabinet (see media towers at the West Elm site). Put the items you have on the mantel on the shelves of the tower and leave the mantel empty with the color and deer head making the statement. Your large black and white zebra will look great on the dark teal wall. Find a less traditional fireplace screen, like bird and branch (target).
Ok...I did warn you it sounds crazy but I wanted to take what you've already done to full tilt :)
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 9:14AM
PRO
The Look Interiors, Inc.
And if those two teal or peacock blue pieces on your hearth are Christmas decorations, go find some great glass pots in the same color and set them there when you put the decorations away. The color is perfect.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 9:24AM
kaz2
I agree with the others, funny I had the same picture in mind with moving the Zebra to the other wall. It's a beautiful painting and I thought it needed something underneath, whether it was the TV stand or a chaise. And maybe the wall a different colour ?. I have just moved things around, changed the wall colour and added the chase.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 10:16AM
jlewiles
Thank you all for the great idea's. here is some pictures of the layout. My tv is by the cable cord, I can't get it to the other side and the sectional is in the spot the L will let me... Don't mind the pillows we are getting new one's.. Money is tight right now due to christmas. I'm a bartender and my husband is surf shop manager. We also have. 2 year old. Don't know if this information helps at all.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:26PM
jlewiles
More pics
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:27PM
jlewiles
We're painting the fireplace wall a dark grey.. It's a behr color called poppy something?
2 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:29PM
jlewiles
Another
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:30PM
jjandhk
hi jlewiles, can the couch sit on the long wall where the tv is now? then the tv can go on the wall where the sofa is now; and the beautiful zebra picture can stay where it is--above the one end of the sofa.....??
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 12:46PM
Chainey
Have you tried putting the chaise on the wall where the TV is now and the TV diagonally (to face into the room and where people will sit) and the zebra offset on the wall above that?
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:50PM
jlewiles
I wish I could switch the living room but the cable outlet is only on that wall
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:50PM
jjandhk
hi again--my husband says you can put a tv almost anywhere--all you have to do is get a longer cable ....and you can "hide" it along the borders of the room--often under the rugs, carpet, or with good old duct-tape :)
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:53PM
evelynbiliter
I moved my tv all around my classroom, just bought coaxial cable. I love shelves. With a little child present, make sure they are anchored to the wall. I would have that TV mounted for safety. You can get a cover to hide the cable and paint it. You can even paint the cable! I have an 18'x24 living room. The couch is under a picture window. The TV shares a wall with a doorway, a window, a huge fish tank on a stand and a roll top desk. I plan to get that fish tank out of my house! Too many items create clutter. I want to build shelves along that wall with the bottom ones having hinged doors. Built in shelving is a great choice for a wall. If you build in around the TV you can hide the cord and have storage for the baby toys.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 3:38PM
vickidiva
I would put a sofa table or large chest on that wall. Frame some pictures to hang or an oversize clock or a colorful piece of art flanked by candle sconces. I would also flank your fireplace with chairs. If you use a sofa table in that area you could push an ottoman or small bench under it and have additional seating if necessary. Just try something and live with it for a couple of weeks. Add to or subtract from.

If you are hanging a deer head over tv you could hang pictures of pheasants or English hunting scenes if you're going for a more rustic look. Don't try to hard. Things fall in place if you make things liveable for you and your family.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 5:52PM
reneschafer
Ok - how about a large - really cover the entire area - IKEA is fine - get the lamp off the TV table - those cubes from IKEA - can be used anywhere at anytime in the future!
Rene
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 10:41PM
tommslick
Couple thoughts. Looking at the wall where the zebra painting is, I see lots of cords and possibly even a couple outlets just a couple feet from each other. And looking at your sectional, the natural positioning of the seated people puts them facing the fireplace. So 1) I agree with some opinions above that putting it in the corner might be a good option. It would hide the outlets, and some of those visualized wires would disappear. And also mentioned above, it would be easy to hide the tv cable in corners under the carpet.

2) Would the tv fit over the mantle if you took down the mirror and removed the portion that its attached to? Probably too much re-working. I think the tv would look great in that recessed portion and would also be the natural direction the seated people would be for viewing the television.

Then I could visualize some type of shelving system to the left of the fireplace. You could put the mantle pieces over there, then you'd free up the entire wall where the tv is currently located.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:59PM
PRO
Wright and Sons Finishing
paint the fireplace wall the poppy gray and the wall with the tv do large black and white zebra stripes
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:32AM
jlewiles
Why would I hang the deer in the garage? Don't be rude
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 10:49AM
jlewiles
A lot of you are so ignorant
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:49AM
mmilos
Can you hang the zebra print on the wall above your couch? On the fireplace wall, I think it's too much and competing as a focal point. The gray paint on the fireplace wall will help with contrast.

Could you put the TV next to the fireplace when the tree is down?

I would also maybe pull your sectional out from the walls a bit.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:14AM
14thstreet
So many people don't read the whole post before replying! The faux deer head is a great piece that's fun and trendy. What I see is that you need to adjust your color balance around the room. This room pictured is a great example of how to use brown, black, gray and tan in the same space in a balanced way.
[houzz=Living Room]

I think:
1. All the walls in your living room should be made slightly darker, perhaps SW Universal Khaki to make the room more cohesive.

2. Paint your fireplace (and fireplace wall, if you wish) in a gray tone, such as SW Anonymous.

3. Keep the mirror over the fireplace, but remove a few of the pieces that decorate the fireplace...it's a little too busy to have smaller scale pieces on both the top of the mantle and the hearth. Eight pieces on the mantle is too much for that space. Select only the candles for one side, then only 1 or 2 sculptures for the other side.The hearth would look better with only large basket with wood kindling for the fireplace.

4. Move the purple chair to the corner where the Christmas tree is now and add a small side table. Move one of your table lamps to this table. Then, move the TV over so that the other lamp has breathing room. The TV doesn't have to be in the center of the console.

5. Hang the zebra over your couch, it will be a much better balance.

6. On the wall where the zebra was, instead do a collection of gallery frames (with your 2-yr olds art work or just bw photos) or use your deer head in an arrangement/grouping. Using a large piece there only detracts from the fire place as a focal point, and you do not need 2 focal points on that wall.
[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/67279/---other-metro]

7. Pick up gray or dark brown floor-length curtain panels to hang on either side of the large window.

8. Find a coffee table that fits (and doesn't look too big) the area in front of your couch. It could be a yard sale find that you could put chalkboard paint on top for your 2-yr old to enjoy. Your area rug really isnt the right style or size for that space.

And, so we don't make this a boring room--your pops of color can be in a great throw blanket and accent pillows.
3 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:28AM
jlewiles
14thstreet, thank you so much! You've been very helpful and I will defiantly take your advice.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 2:11PM
dotsmosaic
I think you need to paint the wail behind the zebra print white and paint the wall behind the tv a bright color. I never like to hang anything over a tv - too much competition for attention between the tv and the art.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:50PM
PRO
ErikaToney
Wood wall panels create a unique aesthetic value within any space. www.27estore.com products use Italian natural wood veneers and eco-friendly materials painstakingly crafted to-order, to give you a wood panel that is sensitive to your design needs, built to last, and still 100% conscious of the environmental impact.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:27PM
14thstreet
jlewiles - thank you for your comment. I hope to see pics of how you ended up changing the space! :)
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:36AM
Dar Eckert

something like this would look lovely in that corner. Great reading nook.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 10:22AM
PRO
Universal Stretch Ceilings
We would like to suggest you a stretch ceiling- accent wall combination!
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 10:55AM
jlewiles
14thstreet, took your advice! The corner is almost done and the flow of the living room is so much better. Still not done! I need curtains and a rug.
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 2:15PM
jlewiles
14thstreet, took your advice! The corner is almost done and the flow of the living room is so much better. Still not done! I need curtains and a rug.
4 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 2:16PM
jlewiles
Living room
5 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 3:21PM
14thstreet
jlewiles - What a difference already!!! The room looks much more balanced. I love how you arranged your prints, lamp, and deer sculpture. The TV setup looks better also. You'll have to post pics of the other side of the room now too. I'm so glad you're happy--it looks fantastic.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:37PM
PRO
Los Angeles Remodeling and Construction
Try polished plaster! This gives it a nice smooth background. You can choose for variety of colors.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:48PM
Alice Trott
i am a bit late coming in but when i first saw the wall and painting i saw the wall a neon orange. LOL dont shoot me.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 2:06AM
im_busy_procrastinating
14th Street had great suggestions. Glad you took them! It's already looking better. The zebra painting is neat, but it indeed was competing too much with the TV and the fire place where it was before.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 8:18PM