powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color should I paint the front door?
Devora Weinapple
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our house has a dark red exterior stain, and we currently have a dark green door with white trim. The painter is coming tomorrow, but I'm hoping someone will see this and miraculously offer up an opinion. I'm leaning towards black door, white trim. Its such a dark porch, I really wanted to lighten it up a bit, but a white door, white trim seems too stark.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Devora Weinapple
Here is a photoshopped image to see what a white door might look like...
December 18, 2012 at 4:16pm   
Natalie
Like this color or something a little more saturated---Ben Moore SEA STAR... [houzz=
]
December 18, 2012 at 4:20pm     
Devora Weinapple
A sage green? It's pretty! Thanks for such a quick response!
December 18, 2012 at 4:47pm     
Natalie
Yes, sage with a kiss of blue... :)
December 18, 2012 at 4:53pm   
PRO
Dytecture
I like the green or even bright yellow would give some definition for the front door.
December 18, 2012 at 7:01pm     
carolannr
Yellow was my first thought too!
December 18, 2012 at 7:05pm     
Devora Weinapple
yellow?
December 18, 2012 at 8:51pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I agree a green front door would be a beautiful focal point. If you choose yellow it needs to be a strong yellow gold to stand up to the red walls of the house not a weak yellow. I do have to get on my soap box about garage doors. Paint them the same color as the house. The front door should be the focal point and not the garage door. I also recommend that you paint the house edge trim and the bold trim around the bay window the same color as the house. Then leave the eves and the window frames white. The red wall color of your home is a beautiful back drop for green plantings. Choose flowering plants or tree leaf colors in russet reds, golds and any shades of green to compliment the exterior paint colors.
December 18, 2012 at 9:17pm   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
December 18, 2012 at 10:31pm   
alwaysdesigning
To lighten up the porch, I think I would paint the entire door wall a light silvery sage color and the door a medium sage accent color. The whole area disappears into the shadows. I would also paint the garage door. The bright white is monopolizing the front of the house. Paint it a color that will match or be near to the siding color. Even the garage door trim should be the same color so as not to draw attention to it. Then play up the front porch with color. Good luck
[houzz=2001 showcase]
[houzz=Exteriors]
[houzz=Front Door]
December 18, 2012 at 10:56pm   
Devora Weinapple
Wedgewood Gray? Gossamer Blue? Like those... Not sure I like the idea of painting the garage door the same as the exterior wall color. Can anyone send me images showing this trend? I thought garage doors should contrast and match trim color. Maybe that's not a current idea. I will probably have to delay on this decision - really appreciate your comments, everyone!
December 19, 2012 at 12:28am   
designideas4me
A few people on my street have a bright red door that really stands out and looks pretty. Do you want your house to attract attention? blend in with the fence? the plants? what kind of feeling are you after?
December 19, 2012 at 12:49am   
windingcreek_creations
My first thought was green. Love the colors illustrated above. Those blues are nice too. I also agree that the garage should be the same color as the main wall of the house. I have never liked big white garage doors on a house that isn't white.
December 19, 2012 at 3:49am   
larry1333
Maybe a white door with a light pinkish red trim. Or if you don't want to change the white trim, but want it lighter, maybe a peach colored door with the white trim.
December 19, 2012 at 5:47am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would go with a darker color...maybe charcoal or black.
December 19, 2012 at 6:05am   
orangecamera
Add good lighting at your front door also, to show off your beautiful new paint job (regardless of color). I like the green colors suggested by houssaon and Natalie.
December 19, 2012 at 6:24am