Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need workroom lighting
Braemar Design
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a design/workroom that is in dire need of good overhead lighting, especially for fabric samples. Please include a source...thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Have you thought of having recessed lighting installed?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:57AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Track lighting with small halogen lamps is the best track lighting and can be adjusted as needs change. Match them with the ceiling color and they won't stand out and the cost is low. Touch-ere lamps are also great in a pair to give incandescent lite as well. With fabrics you need lighting that is used in the same as the clients lighting, IE residential or commercial. Swag light's are back in too and make a style statement. Have fun ,Kevin
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:14AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
How high is the ceiling and are there existing fixtures that are just not doing the job or do you have to snake wires to get lights up there?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:30AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Knowing the height of the ceiling would be helpful and what the room is comprised of, I.e. shelving, table, etc. I concur tht track lighting is probably your best bet. I recommend Juno for their price point and variety.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:56AM
PRO
Creative Lighting
Track Lighting is great for directional lighting, and task lighting.
http://waclighting.com/USA/products/?categoryid=196&productid=1004

Maybe choose something that will look somewhat soft, but in white to blend in with the ceiling. I love this track head since it is a directional light, however does shine some light in the ceiling as well so the room does not look dark on the ceiling or top 1' of space.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:26AM
PRO
Braemar Design
The ceiling height is very low, about 7 feet, the building is very old, but charming. Exsisting spot lights are not doing the job. Will need to snake wires to the ceiling.I have several racks of fabric samples, shelves to the side and a small standing work table.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:00PM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
track lighting is your best option, to really light a room well you need layers of light, so the ceiling also needs to light up, I would suggest wall sconces or torchiere floor lamps that will throw light up onto the ceiling and then bounce back into the room, with halogen MR16 bulbs in the track fixtures you should have plenty of light
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:02PM