Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
NEED HELP FOR MY LIVING ROOM
cc11
December 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to redo my living room. I have to keep the leather furniture(almost new) and the white rug. I like the rooms with a rug that pops like a chevron. I want it more sophisticated and fancy. Something that will pop. The color is also new.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cc11
Hate the coffee table
December 18, 2012 at 7:53pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Looks like you've got a great start to your room!

I'm not sure about the pics 2-4 and where they fall in the room. Any chance you could you upload a few more pictures from different angles of the room?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 18, 2012 at 7:59pm   
Natalie
December 18, 2012 at 8:10pm     
bygeorgi
Your walls have great details, so pretty. Here are a few rooms. I think a mirrored coffee table or maybe putting mirrors on the chest of drawers would fancy up the room. Also luxurious fabrics like velvet for pillows , some formal drapes and maybe an ottoman with nail heads. Some pillows in graphic patterns , stay away from the vine or flowery shapes. Try a more updated accent color, loose the maroon items or staying neutral, playing with texture will certainly make it feel more elegant. can't wait to see the after!
December 18, 2012 at 8:37pm   
anthip
Yep. Get rid of the maroon. Go with the ice blue, silver and black with grays to pull it together. Use textures to add warmth; as others have said, sheepskin (faux) throws on the recliner, velvet cushions or a thick, soft corduroy. Mix in some darker shades of blue as well but keep it that gray/blue colour. Would be nice to have some patterns in there too. Maybe something like these?
[houzz=
]
December 18, 2012 at 8:47pm     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I would keep with monochromatic color scheme of black, white and smokey blue. I recommend that you replace the chest of drawers with a large round table to unify the large scaled leather sofa and love seat. I can't tell from your photo if there is a hanging three part lamp in the corner but if not I would replace it with a large scaled table lamp. Then add another table or lamp at the other end of the sofa. If there is room you could place the chest of drawers at that end of the sofa or maybe use in hyour entry hall. If you do not have another chair in the room then I would add an upholstered chair opposite the love seat to creat a warm conversation area.
Then I would replace coffee table with a large rectangular table or upholstered ottoman (approx 42" x 54") depending on the length of your sofa and love seat. If an ottoman it could be upholstered in smokey blue ultra suede with nail head base trim.
December 18, 2012 at 9:32pm     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Think of your furniture layout in relation to the fireplace (assuming that it is in the same room as you've pictured) It is nice to have your furniture flanking your fireplace as pictured below. Right now your room looks quite cluttered and the beautiful wood work is lost among all the extra furniture pieces. You should remove everything except your couches and then slowly introduce furniture items that you truly need. As to accent colours I like the maroon but would add it in accessories such as candle sticks. Don't overdo the throw pillows on the couches. The coffee table size looks okay but the colour doesn't seem to go - maybe it can be painted?

December 18, 2012 at 10:21pm   
alwaysdesigning
Silver, black and turquoise are great together. Since the rug is white and the sofas black neutral, the drapes need to be your color pop. Accent pillows, poufs and a colorful chair or two will round out the space. Accents on shelves and color in lamps will bring it all together. Also, IKEA has some great drapery and fabrics with fresh fun patterns and colors. You may want to rethink the rug, as a colorful rug is a great place to start your design scheme. A nice silvery grey paint on the walls, some turquoise accent lamps and shelf items, a great starburst mirror and colorful pillows and you should wake up your space. Good luck
[houzz=Mystic Collection Turquoise Rug]
[houzz=Amy Butler Hand-Tufted Wool Rug, Coventry]
[houzz=]
[houzz=]
[houzz=Bogart Flat-Weave Wool Rug]
[houzz=Houndstooth Flat-Weave Wool Rug]
[houzz=Designer Living/Family Rooms]
[houzz=Contemporary Living Room]
[houzz=Pacific Heights Apartment]
[houzz=High Rise Apartment]
[houzz=Bergen Street Residence]
[houzz=Abbe Fenimore - Studio Ten 25]
[houzz=]
[houzz=Sask Cres Dining Room]
[houzz=Kapalua Living Room]
[houzz=Turquoise Pyramid Trunk Coffee Table]
December 18, 2012 at 10:41pm     
bygeorgi
If you are indeed staying with the black and white color scheme and want a sophisticated look...... I suggest you take a browse at rooms done by Mary McDonald. She is a master at creating glamorous rooms using a black and white palette and her chevron floors are stunning . Her look maybe a bit over the top, but no doubt you can find inspiration from her truly chic designs.
December 19, 2012 at 1:09pm     
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
I get a kick out of Mary McDonald. No shortage of confidence there!
December 19, 2012 at 1:55pm     
cc11
still confused
January 5, 2013 at 4:17pm   
decoenthusiaste
January 5, 2013 at 4:23pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
decoenthusiaste - love the rug!

cc11 - So sorry to hear you're still confused. :( Did you ever get a chance to upload some more pictures? That might help everyone help you pull the room together as a whole.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 5, 2013 at 4:30pm   
cyn222
Love the walls, hate the coffee table. Have fun.
January 5, 2013 at 10:58pm   
cohoek
Hi, love your colors, I think you only need a high big table in the corner, theres too much going on there. I would put one lamp on the table, and maybe decorate with crystal decanters and silver, maybe a nice painting on the wall in that corner? I would choose gray/blue cushions in different textures, maybe some shiny satin. Its hard to make a robust leather couch glitsy...You could stain the coffee table a little darker to match the color of your couches, Your red chair wil stand out more now. All and all you need more shiny stuff, thats why everyones writing about mirrors and glass tables...
January 6, 2013 at 2:54am   
More Discussions
Staging Living Room and Dining Room
We will be staging this home with an ivory sofa, glass...
i got this house 2 years ago and now we are ready for a face lift :)
Could you please help me with some ideas ? I don't...
cant decide on fireplace tile
I am almost complete with this den remodel and I know...
Burned out on the built-in kitchen
After decades of renting, we've been planning on building...
Trying to decide best color for future new area rug for Den
My contemporary home has a backyard view of a mid size...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.