Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help asap selecting 3 complimentary shades of Sherwin Williams White
Trysh
December 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello. I am new to Houzz. We are redoing a house we just closed on from top to bottom. We are in a bit of a hurry to get in. It is a coastal home here in FL. We are originally from the North so I am excited to try a coastal/light&bright decorating style. I picked a darker handscraped wood floor but want the walls, trim, ceiling and kitchen cabinets [which we are just having refinished] all to be complimentary shades of white. The painter uses only Sherwin Williams. The only existing thing in the house we have to work around is a lighter mossy green granite that has white and cream veining. Any help with three complimentary whites [or cabinet whites] would be very much appreciated! I couldn't figure out how to attach images from my idea book to show the look I want... but basically just the dark floors and white. lol
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Linda
If you choose to go with three different whites, be sure to use them individually, and label them well. It is hard to keep everything straight for touch up if you aren't really careful
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 7:15AM
Trysh
Thanks for the tip. I also forgot to mention that we have zero furniture to work around... so I don't have to worry about matching. I just want a clean white coastal look. I just read under discussions one decorator recommended choosing the same white for trim and ceiling but just using the gloss and flat finish. That would make for one less decision I need to make asap...lol. Is that recommended? any thoughts?
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 7:33AM
kcourtneyisme
I have the same issue....we are redoing a lake house top to bottom and are using Sherwin Williams and the same color scheme you describe with wood floors. I have to pick paint colors long distance without seeing how they look in the actual house. So far I have Sw Downy for the cabinets, thinking of doing the same with wall paint for the ceilings. I have Maison Blanche for the walls but I think it may be darker than I want. These are all in the SW White collection. I will be interested in what you select. Good luck.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:18AM
kmgoulet
We just redid our house in a coastal theme with Sherwin Williams using marshmallow, but we went with a couple of other neutral colors, north star (light grey) and sashay sand. We're very happy with it. Just enough color. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:34AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Life would indeed be simpler if you selected one color for all your trim and cabinets. SW Dover White is a good one. You could even use it on your walls. But if you want your walls slightly different, then SW Natural Choice would look good.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 8:35AM
Trysh
Thank you for your comments! I took the SW chips over to the home last night and got completely overwhelmed. The kitchen had a plaster type of finish on the walls and the workers had gotten it all scraped off and patched so it looked "white" and I don't know if I was just startled by the change but it didn't look good white. I then held up a bunch of the chips and I liked the SW True White... it looked clean and bright for trim. However, then when I held Dover and the others up against the True White... they just sort of looked like the dirty dry wall look. The painters need selections... aghhh. I love the look of all the homes on Houzz where they have the beautiful dark floors and white everything but am so afraid I am wasting all the money to have the entire house and carriage house painted white! :)
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:34AM
PRO
I agree that you should not have the entire house painted one color if you are having qualms about it. . Why not have the painters only do the kitchen for now? A lot of other designers have also recommended Dover White for cabinets so I know it's a popular color. I cannot find True White in my SW paint decks, so I don't know what it looks like.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:49AM
PRO
Why don't you post a new question leaving out the all white part of the title?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:50AM
kcourtneyisme
Carolyn, could you recommend a shade of white for cabinets and a shade of wall color out of the SW white collection that you have used together? Maybe that would help trysh, She really shouldn't need three shades, just two, one for cabinets and trim and one for walls. Then use the cabinet color in a wall paint for the ceiling. Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:32PM
PRO
Yes, I certainly think that 2 can be used, and it's much less complicated than three. I would recommend SW7103 Whitetail for your cabinets and trim in semi-gloss finish. For your walls and ceiling I would use SW6140 Moderate White in a flat finish. I like walls and ceilings to be the same color. Or she could do Creamy and Antique White. Or Dover White with Natural Choice. I would continue to use the same trim color throughout the house.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:47PM
Trysh
Thank you all again so much for the comments. I wish this wasn't an all or nothing choice but we have a crew in from out of town doing the work and they are actually living in the home and pretty much working straight thru to get it done. We are in a condo waiting for completion. Does anyone know if it is likely that a local designer would agree for a flat fee to come and just pick out paint colors and tile for two bathrooms? We just moved so I don't really even have any girlfriends to get a second set of eyes on things! Thanks again.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:28AM
PRO
Yes, you should be able to find a designer to do that, though considering Christmas is 4 days away, it may be somewhat difficult. If you're in Austin, you can call me.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:34AM
PRO
Whatever paint color you select, please, oh please have your painter put samples of the wall color and the trim color next to each other on the wall and door trim before he goes out and buys enough paint for the entire house.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:37AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I like Carolyn's suggestion of the Whitetail and Moderate White combination. Classic.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 6:46AM
Trysh
Oh Caroyln I wish I were in Austin... but Panama City Beach, FL instead. lol. I will have them do the test sample. I just sent out inquiries right now to local designers. I also am going to go get the white chips you all mentioned. I forgot to mention that I did want a light glaze put over the cabinets... not sure if that changes anyones recommendation. And not to complicate things, but do you think it might be wise to use slightly different "whites" in the bedrooms? still keeping it a light, clean look but maybe it would make people think our use of white was more intentional than just coating the whole house with the same white. My husband transfers a lot with his job and we always have to do things with an eye towards resell. This house is in a very upscale community [while it is on the smaller end size-wise] we need it to compete eventually for resell.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 7:07AM
orangecamera
Congratulations on your new home. It's so exciting to start from scratch!

I'm not a professional designer or painter, but a homeowner with experience with lots of painted walls in many of my own homes. Here are a few things that might ease your anxiety a bit.

Once you put your furniture, drapes, area rugs in, the color on your walls will change visually. White especially will somewhat reflect the other colors in the room. This is good, because it will make everything look right together.

You're looking at all these little chips of "white" paint. If you look at each one individually, it will look "white". It's only in comparison that they really look all that different. Once it's up on your walls, and you've lived there with your things for a week or two, you will only see the walls as "white".

I recommend you decide if you want to go with what I think of as "stark raving white", or something "warm" or "cool". Once you make that decision, you'll have eliminated about 1/2 of the confusion.

Cut up the chips so you can't see the names (just leave the color number on them). I find the names to be counterproductive, because I might like the name and hate the color, or the other way around. Anyway...then just pick one. They're all white, they're all going to look nice in your new home.

Keep leftover paint in those disposable plastic containers with the screw on lids (Ziplock makes them, I'm sure others do too), and label the containers with Sharpie. This will come in very handy when you need to do touch-ups. Put the paint manufacturer and number, the finish (flat, glossy, etc), and what room it's in. Paint names change sometimes, so the number is the more relevant info to keep. Store the container upside down. That way, if the paint starts to dry out from the air in the container, the dry part will actually be at the bottom of the container when you go to reuse it.

Also, once you decide on the paints, keep paint chips with you at all times. You never know when you'll come across the perfect "something" for your house and you'll want to know if it will be okay. With white walls, this isn't much of an issue, but a paint chip is easy to carry around, so why not. (I tucked a small piece in my wallet several years ago, it's still in there an I have used it a few times).

Anyway, best of luck with your new house and I hope your work gets done quickly so you can get in there and start enjoying it!
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 7:13AM
PRO
Glazing cabinets is more of a traditional look, and one that is fading in popularity. For resale purposes, I might pass on the glazing. If you change from one white to another, room to room, I don't think anyone will notice and therefore I wouldn't do it. I hope you find a designer who is available. It should be helpful and reassuring.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 9:44AM
judianna20
Jumping in, but I just returned from SW paint store and I had picked up lots of charts. Snowbound for your woodwork and cabs and White Duck for the walls would be a lovely combo .
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 9:53AM
creeser
White Duck is a great color. We used it on our ceiling.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 10:42AM
Trysh
Thank you all again. I was not able to touch base with any designers local today - but it is Christmas after all. lol. I just came from the house and WOW... I could smile or cry. Smile because these guys have done SO much. They must work 20 hours a day. They have blow up mattresses but I can't imagine when they are actually sleeping. They are so sweet also. They work for the general contractor that we purchased the home from. It was his vacation home that he built 11 years ago. I must say the white [drywall white] is growing on me already. I took the pairings of the SW chips mentioned above and can definitely see one of them working. I am going back in the morning to look in morning light and then will let them do a test area. They gave us such a good price that we decided to do the master bath and boys bath now also. They have already ripped up much of the tile. I want my master to have a clean, spa like feeling. I am so glad I found this site and am going to start a new discussion for the master bath and also a very odd eat-in space in the kitchen that I want to turn into more of a keeping room. Thank you all again for such great advice. I took lots of pics just now and will post them too. One more question I have... The house currently has light bamboo floors- I hated them when we first saw the house so I decided I wanted the dark handscraped floors... I wonder if that will change when all the painting is done. Carolyn... do you [or anyone] have any thoughts on light bamboo vs. dark handscraped for resale?
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 3:03PM
PRO
Goodness, yes, in Florida, I think the bamboo floors would be great, while the dark handscraped floors are going away here in Texas, and I can't even imagine them being popular in Florida. But, hey, I don't design there. Let's see if we can get a reading from some Floridians.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 5:35PM