powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for peaked ceiling (and a couple of other problems)
adot99
December 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
As you can see from the picture, we have done nothing with the master bedroom. The "flesh" colored walls are left over from the previous owners. I finally bought a grey and white graphic duvet cover, but don't want to put it on until I get paint on the walls, etc.

I have two issues with this room: 1. I hate the peaked ceiling. It feels "country" to me, the center line is crooked, and although there's no light fixture right now, the place where the wiring is located is off-center from the peak. I guess I understand why they did that, but it seems weird to me. 2. The bed is in pretty much the only place it can go, due to where the windows and doors are. But the space between the windows isn't wide enough for a king size headboard (and I love my king size bed!) Would it be weird to make a headboard that was as large as that space would allow, and have the bed be a little bit bigger? (the space is 71", and I think my bed is 75" wide...)

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pivoines
Before I would attempt anything , I would wait for the new color on the walls, then I would put a darker tone of that paint color on the wall behind the bed.I would then add 3 European size pillows against the wall made of the same fabric as a bed skirt (those would act as a headboard) in a color coordinating the new bedding but in a plain design so you can change the bedding and leave the same bed skirt and pillows, I vote for a quilted king size coverlet in white, that you would use as a bed skirt and buy the matching European shams. Use your king size pillows angled in front of them and your nice log pillow in front of that.Put very low elongated modern tables under the sides shuttered windows to use as bedside tables with big fat round low lamps on both sides , That would modernize the effect enormously.I would also add a very long bench at the foot of the bed with or without storage depending on need. I love this room and think it will look great without much else. have fun !!
December 19, 2012 at 8:13AM     
adot99
Thanks, piviones! I'm kind of thinking of doing the accent wall in a navy and the others in a light grey. I'll have to look into benches, good idea. :)
December 19, 2012 at 4:40PM   
decoenthusiaste
Like the suggestions above. Without seeing the rest of the room, I can't say this is the optimum spot for the bed, but a few inches in the width may not be an issue. Here's a headboard that is a bit wider
than the window above, but it doesn't overlap side windows as yours does. If you are planning for a TV in the room, that might be a good spot for it. Just depends on where the bed would fit.

December 19, 2012 at 5:10PM   
pivoines
Grey and navy are a great classic neutral choice which would then permit you to get extra bedding in other colors and do easy changes according to your mood or the season, just have fun >
December 20, 2012 at 5:22AM   
michigammemom
Your vaulted ceiling is a real asset. I agree with decoenthusiaste that any headboard should be low enough to avoid encroaching on the window directly above the bed. Can you be more specific about the location of the lighting?
December 20, 2012 at 5:41AM   
adot99
Thanks for the great comments! Here is a picture of what I mean about the ceiling. The location of the wiring for the overhead light isn't in the center of the peak. Do you just hang something off-center? Do you build some sort of box so that it's in the center? I was toying with maybe putting some sort of beam down the middle, like the picture above, but would love to do something that screams "modern."
December 20, 2012 at 6:46AM   
pivoines
There are a few solutions to this , you can add small fake support beams at intervals which would allow you to hide the wiring and center the light , you can put a chandelier on a chain and put a hook in the peak which would permit you to hang it straight from the peak (the cheapest solution) or ignore the center light altogether and use lamps . I would finish the rest of the room and see if you need it ,
December 20, 2012 at 8:24AM