Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room in new house
Tracy Lerner
December 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, all - I've posted this room before but thought I'd add more pictures. We're moving into this house with a fairly large family room. We're opening up the wall between this room and the kitchen (the wall with the tapestry hanging on it). The kitchen will be a white country kitchen. How else would you decorate this room? We don't want it be too neutral but are not sure how to bring in color. We're also thinking of painting the crown molding and the window details white, but leaving the beams. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbkieffer
So the furniture in these photos is not yours correct? What color is your furniture? Is the rug staying? I like the idea of some white woodwork, but leaving the beams. Color could come in with your throw pillows and curtains. I'd probably change out the ceiling fans to something more modern. If you are getting new tables, you could bring in more white wood that way too.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:51AM
Tracy Lerner
Nothing is staying and we are buying all new furniture. So really a blank slate. The fans and the track lighting are definitely going, too.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:56AM
judianna20
My first thought, which can be addressed when you start on the kitchen….I really like that you will paint all the trim white. In addition, I would have your finish carpenter trim out the beams (if they are structural). If the beams are only decorative, I would remove them entirely.

My other suggestion is not to buy a rug until you decide on a furniture arrangement that you love. I say this because I do not agree with the size of the rug that is there now.

Then I would love to see 2 chandeliers where the fans are.

Do you have a dining room? And how large is the opening going to be into the kitchen?

Great room. :>)

Would this arrangement work? Your room looks good size. Your new kitchen opening will be looking straight at the fireplace. Leave that area open. Make two seating areas, one with this game table idea, down where the t v is now and it becomes part of the two slider area. Keep the t v where it is and use swivel chairs at the game table. It would be a fun spot to watch the Super Bowl game. The other end can be a more formal seating area. Then each spot gets a rug.

1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 12:27PM
Tracy Lerner
@judyg - I like the suggestion of doing a game area and a sitting area, but I'm confused by your recommendation. Where would you do the table and where would you do the couch/tv? The opening from the kitchen to the family room will be about 8 feet. We do have a formal dining room off the kitchen, but not near this room.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:38PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
2 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 1:32PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Love the dark ceiling beams with the cream trim around the windows in the above picture!! What about stripping the wood floors to re-stain them to match the dark ceiling beams? That would look fantastic!! Distressing the brick fireplace to a light cream color would also add so much to the space!! Good luck.....
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 1:36PM
Candace Bordelon
I would reface the fireplace. It really dates the room and makes it look dark and heavy. the ceilings are low, so the contrast between the ceiling and the brick fireplace makes the ceilings look lower. If you can't afford to have it refaced right now (such as in a cream-colored stone veneer), then paint the fireplace a soft white/light cream.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 2:42PM
camillealbert
I agree with Candace and also think the beams make the ceiling look low. I would love to see the fireplace painted a cream color too.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 3:17PM
collettec
I think the white ceiling brings your eye up and doesn't blend with the fireplace, the floors and the rest of the woodwork. I would paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, or perhaps the same color but a bit lighter, but not white. The beams might work better in a lighter shade to approximate the wood mantel. I would put in recessed lighting as well. A green might be a nice accent color with what you have in the room.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 4:19PM
PRO
Travis Robert Renovations
Great space with a lot of potential. Painting the trim and Lightening up the fireplace will help... add a nice trim detail to the existing beams such as a coffered ceiling.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 5:28PM
Darzy
If you don't want to paint the FP, maybe a white washed look would suit you better. I think the beams may be left as is, like the mantel and the floor so I'd save that decision for later. But, I actually struggled with a large wood beam in our family and when we painted it white we were glad we did. I like judyg's idea of arrangement with game table side. Chandy's instead of ceiling fans for sure! Congrats! What a great, great room. : ) Oh, I like the 2nd photo furniture arrangement for facing the tv, then the game table/seating on the other side of the sofa table in front of the FP. Chairs that swivel would be great for either tv for conversation.
lowcountry river house
Chalet Interiors
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 10:53PM
PRO
Philippa Richard - You Just Rightsize
I like the beams but once opened up this will be a large space with a relatively low ceiling and the beams might feel oppressive.
I would paint the beams and ceiling white to make the ceiling feel taller.
I like the look of Chalet interiors posted by Darzy. The ceiling is interesting but bright.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:22AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would loose the loveseat for a nice chair & ottoman. If your opening up the wall I would hope you have the same beams in the kitchen to keep the flow of spaces. or maybe just a large opening and keep it a foot lower than the ceiling to make a intentional break from room ceiling changes, I would keep all the trim & doors white in both rooms but leave the dark beams, You may consider facing the fireplace also with white panels and a wood beam mantle to again keep a flow from the kitchen and family room. I would do recessed lighting thru out both rooms and loose the fans. Enjoy your new home, Kevin.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:33AM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, Cheery Curtains may help you to avoid the decoration to be too neutral with our nice curtains! Lots of fantastic curtains here in Cheery Curtains, and I will attach some.

For more curtain designs, welcom to my Houzz page. Or you can contact me directly by sending emails to sales@cheerycurtains.com.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:36AM
cabascal
I had a similar situation in our cottage style home. I think white trim around the doors (while leaving the doors stained) is a great look! I also like the other suggestion of making the beams into coffers and painting them out white. Use an additional piece of moulding to soften the 90 degree edges inside the new boxes. You can also add millwork at the fireplace and cover portions of the brick with a wood veneer. You have a lovely space to work within. Best of luck and happy holidays to al!
Cam - Interior Designer for the hospitality Industry in Orlando, FL
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:25AM
PRO
Georgia Elite Realty
What does the house look like on the outside? I am looking at buying a house to renovate which in my mind looks like yours! can you post pictures of other areas (Kitchen, bedrooms, baths etc)?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:49AM
Tracy Lerner
@Georgia Elite Realty - the house as is has a lot of dark wood trim, yellow paint, and wallpaper. We're changing a good deal of the house, cosmetically.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:08AM
alabamalibrarian83
I love that room! It looks almost exactly like mine except a little bigger. I am going to follow this post and see what you do, because I still haven't decided how much of it I want to paint and how much to leave as natural wood/brick.
My fave pic of the oens that have been posted by commenters so far is the one by @All 4 Show with white trim but unpainted beams. Good luck!!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 8:41AM