Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with color of garage door, front door and trim
dogparkdays
December 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'd like to give the exterior of our new house a facelift. We are restricted by the HOA from painting the brick. What ideas are out there to help us dress things up? thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciarhall
may we see a picture of the rest of the house exterior, including windows?
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:25PM
sacapuntaslapioz
without seeing the windows, I would say black.
2 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:44PM
anniepugh
If you want the doors to blend in quietly paint them grey somewhere between the roof and concrete color. If you want to have them make a statement go with a strong color like black as in the wrought iron or maybe a deep forest green like the landscape. Quiet or bold what do you want?
p.s. you would paint the front door to match
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 12:48PM
judianna20
Either or of the above would work for me. The black would tie into the gate (charming) and the neutral will probably make the house more smooth.

0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 12:52PM
anniepugh
Remember black adds sophistication, elegants to any space and the color would add interest. The soft grey would be quite and clean. I'ts your house what would you choose?
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 1:10PM
houssaon
I would paint the garage and trim Amherst Gray HC-167 by Benjamin Moore, Kendall Charcoal HC-166 by Benjamin Moore, or Iron Mountain 2134-30. Or if you prefer a lighter gray, then La Paloma Gray 1551.

I would replace the lanterns with more substantial ones. I would add a set of three trellisses on the brick side of the house. Fix the concrete driveway. Maybe replace part of it with concrete pavers or Belgian block. I think that the gutters and leaders need to be replaced. Upgrade to a five inch size.
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 2:06PM
Nancy Hehmann
If you really want to update and give your house a wow factor, type in stained garage doors into the HOUZZ browser. You will be amazed at the beautiful garage doors that will appear. Your garage doors are Center Stage so to speak on the design of your house. I think stained garage doors could really enhance them! In France, people were using stained gates and shutters too! They looked great.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 4:00PM
valerieymarsh
I agree. Dark color for doors, trim gutters, gate, front door, etc. Some new lamps, bigger.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:28PM
valerieymarsh
Powerwash that brick too
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:28PM
valerieymarsh
Might be neat to see some ivy on that blank brick wall on the right.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:29PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would paint the trim & doors the exact same color as the brick. Bring attention to a garage is the last thing I would want. I would also paint the doors & walls behind the gate a bold color to pull the focus to the entrance leaving the gates black & maybe a turquoise door or red or even the entire door wall a rich color it would pull the eye towards the entrance. Add planters outside the gates to for color in a very large scale planter or urns. If you have shutters paint them black to match the iron gate. Or add them. The planting bed needs some height & interest along that long blank wall. A wall fountain or tall ever greens would warm it up and create some various in the heights and add the curb appeal. The garage should be the last thing you want to bring attention too. But over scale lighting would help.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:44PM
nicoleneesen
I would paint the garage doors in A taupe and replace the garage exterior fixtures in a larger oil rubbed or black fixture. Add some drama with improved scale. I would paint the front door black. Your place is going to look awesome no matter how you proceed!
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 6:58PM
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Hey dogparkdays, I don't know what your budget is but my eye is drawn to the cracked driveway, Maybe go for a courtyard feel and replace that section with pavers. I think the clay pavers retain their color better than the concrete ones. Whitacre Greer has a nice palette of colors that'll match up nicely with the house brick for the main field and maybe have a nice darker brown or charcoal paver band / sidewalk that leads into the entrance gate. You could probably then pipe the downspout so the rain wouldn't flow out near the gate and in front of the garage, keep down the ice. I added some sketchy photoshop to the image for a visual. Enjoy
1 Like   December 19, 2012 at 11:32PM
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Sorry @houssaon, I didn't see that you suggested fixing the driveway too, just skimmed and liked your colors.
0 Likes   December 19, 2012 at 11:42PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree the driveway could use a face lift to. But you didn't ask about that. I would do a blacktop overlay for a budget fix. you could border it in patio pavers for a richer touch. and even do a inlay in the center. Kevin
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 12:15AM
PRO
Painting Services By Steve
Paint the garage doors something similar to Sherwin-Williams Kilim Beige, SW6106, they'll blend with the brick, do the wrought iron gate/fence, light fixtures, and front door the same, as well as the gutters. Then do something with the driveway. After thats all done, a waterfall of some sort against the brick wall to the right of the front, something small but yet noticeable. Right now the doors and gutters are highlighted and looks bad, subdue it with an earth tone
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:39AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with painting the garage doors gray.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:37AM
Jayme H.
I was thinking a brown tone but it looks like those shingles don't .have a lot of brown in them. Therefore, prob. a gray would be better. But the front door still could be different. Painting gutters could be a nightmare/prob. in the long run better to replace with maintenance free in color of choice. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:16AM
nicoleneesen
Given the grey shingles I love some of the taupe/browns that have a lot of Grey. The suggestions posted are great. I also like Benjamin Moore Cabot Trail. Nice grey taupe. Good luck!!!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:25AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with many of the above posts. There is some great information for you. The one I do not agree with is from anniepugh. The front door should not be the same color as the trim, garage doors or any other color on the house. It should be bold and call attention to the entry not blend in and get lost.
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:25AM
PRO
Motor City Door
Have you considered trying a different style of garage door? A carriage house overlay or carriage house stamped would look great with your house. Here are a few other styles to look at as well: http://www.motorcitydoor.com/residential.php
0 Likes   on Monday at 6:03AM