Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Are we there yet?
ssrieke
December 19, 2012 in Before & After
Turned a 1955 two colored split level into this....but not sure we are done yet with the exterior. Something still seems wrong. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ssrieke
Before photo house is blue and white. After is orange and grey...
December 19, 2012 at 8:38pm   
Tera Lambert
I don't like the orange, I've never seen orange on a house. Maybe we live in totally different places and that's normal or popular there. I would have to get rid of the orange, but everybody's taste is different. You probably wouldn't like my house color, LOL. I might would change the orange to black, but I'm not an expert or anything.
December 19, 2012 at 9:01pm   
mjlb
I'm impressed -- Great job! On first impression, I really love the color blocking and combination.

Upon reflection, maybe the orange above the garage needs something, but I'm not sure what.
December 19, 2012 at 9:21pm   
Hope Frenette
I think the orang should wrap extend on the other side of the windows so it appears to connect to the orange on the porch facade. It is too isolated alone in the middle of the windows. Just my thoughts.
December 20, 2012 at 4:44am     
PRO
Design Mode
You have really updated your house with the new entry, and added great impact. What a difference.
I think you should paint out the orange above the garage. There is no architectural feature there, and no a reason to draw attention to that area with a bright colour. Your two orange tones at the entry are the focal point, and it's only natural for visitors to want to know where the door is. You have a unique, and cheery entry, and if I was visiting, I would keenly anticipate looking at the interior.
On the rest of the exterior, your colour blocking on the roof, & upper and lower areas creates subtle and interesting contrasts. It all works. (Except that mysterious region above the garage.)
Under the windows on the right-side, I think some lime'green & white variegated low plantings would give you some freshness.
Play with it on a computer paint program.
December 20, 2012 at 5:11am     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with the orange looking part could be a bit darker with more brown tones to blend in with the siding.

December 20, 2012 at 6:00am     
ssrieke
Thanks for taking the time to provide great feedback. I appreciate your responses...will post more pictures of the after to give you a better idea of the rest of the house.
December 20, 2012 at 7:53am   
orangecamera
I love to see orange on the outside of the house, it's fresh and unexpected. If I were allowed where I live, I'd have an orange front door.

I agree with others that there's something wonky about the orange above the garage. Maybe continue the orange ONLY to the left of the left window. Also paint the front of your chimney orange, and a vertical area under the right-most window of the house (same width of the window, all the way down to the ground).

I think you need some vertical and some horizontal color blocks to make it look "right".
A Small Retreat by the Ocean

This one is a bit much for your house, but check out how interesting an angled line can be. You can do that with paint too, maybe to the extreme left and right of your house.
Fabio Galeazzo Brazil

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the inside!
December 20, 2012 at 8:10am   
mmilos
I think you're drawing attention to weird spots on the house with the orange paint. I would paint all what you have orange now the dark gray color and paint only the front door orange.
December 20, 2012 at 8:41am     
Tera Lambert
I agree with mmilos, if you are in love with orange I would only have it on the door to make the door pop. But with the dark gray everywhere I think a red door would be beautiful.
December 20, 2012 at 9:44am   
houssaon
I like the look, but if you go a shade or two darker as Dytecture suggested, the yellow tone door will pop more. The porch post could be larger. It might help to add vertical boards to simulate board and batten in the area between the windows and the porch roof.
December 20, 2012 at 10:16am     
PRO
creations landscape designs
I would suggest killing the lawn and replacing it with plants. I have many photos albums in my profile to give you ideas.
December 20, 2012 at 10:40am   
ssrieke
as you can see, I love orange! Basically the addition to the house is Eichler vertical siding and is orange. Any "new" on the house is orange with the existing siding grey.
December 21, 2012 at 6:37pm     
ssrieke
orangecamera, I added those houses to my ideabooks. Yes, I definitely appreciate mid century modern and the use of vibrant color. After all, it is just paint and it makes me happy!
December 21, 2012 at 6:43pm   
houssaon
These photos show your house off better than the first one we saw. I take back what I said about adding boards to make it look like board and batten. But I still think the porch post could be thicker.

I really think what the house is missing is landscaping. Most modern designs are very linear. It looks like the tree makes for a shady front yard, so the plants will need to be shade tolerant. I would make a minimal grass area and plant native shrubs, perennials and self seeding annuals. Look for varigated and burgundy, as well as, green. Look for something with height for the space between the two windows on the right. See: Front Yard Retreat, steps and San Francisco Residence

How about a rock garden? Spokane Midcentury - Mary Jean & Joel E. Ferris, II House

I would also update the lighting, so you can get rid of the pole light.
December 21, 2012 at 6:54pm   
Dar Eckert
You're gutsy to use so much orange. I love orange too but think its all good except for the rectangle on the garage. It seems like it should be a band of orange or the garage should be orange. You coould paint the entire gable orange but that would be too much.
December 21, 2012 at 7:40pm   
toocutedobs
Hostas will grow beautifully in your shaded yard.
December 25, 2012 at 4:19am   
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Love your color selection and the use of contrasting hues. The color block over the garage draws the eye and is really not the key focal point of the home. It's important in Feng Shui to draw the energy into the front door. Consider an architectural element for the windows above the garage.
December 25, 2012 at 8:19am     
decoenthusiaste
I hope you have a larger support post in mind for the porch - way too slender. I like all but the part between those windows. First thought: you put a piece of plywood leaned inside for a window covering. Don't mind the orange, but I think an orange metal awning spanning that space and those windows would be a more logical and appealing solution. Check out some xeriscape solutions to the landscape - they don't have to be cacti as some believe.

December 25, 2012 at 9:25am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like it. I do agree that the orange over the garage needs something. Maybe if it were bumped out a bit to create an architectural statement as well, just a thought. The entry post NEEDS to be more substantial.
December 25, 2012 at 10:28am     
Marzia Razavi
Let the grass grow up to the tree. Get rid of the mulched area next to the driveway and fill with grass, the hedge up agaisnt the side of the house near the door, notice how it blocks the line of site to the door so replace with more suitable plants, house needs a contrasting colored trim I think....put trim around windows and paint a contrasting color, add shutters to windows. Get rid of the orange painted...??
December 25, 2012 at 11:04pm   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Began to like your orange blocking with more photos - do agree that your entry post needs some oomph! In the photo below we added metal element with the orange and it worked well and check out the posts!
January 4, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Renee
I like the orange. I even like it over the garage. If you keep the orange over the garage, consider more orange at the other side of the house under the windows for balance. Big orange planters or a rectangular orange strip under the windows would work well. Definitely enlarge the post and add lighting so you can get rid of the lamp post. What a great redo!
January 4, 2013 at 12:34pm   
PRO
The Tin Roof
I like it! Orange is such a nice pop of color around here on all those dreary days we have. I'd agree with some landscaping and including some orange elements in the yard somewhere. I think looks looks amazing - great job on a nice update for your home!
May 22, 2013 at 8:13pm   
PRO
Luminous Spaces
I agree with Scott and many others that the orange doesn't look right over the garage. It is definitely the first thing that your eye is drawn to and it seems to fall flat. It does not help the design scheme at all, but instead drains the energy. I would paint that gray as well, perhap add an architectural metal element to hang there so it's not just a solid block of gray. I love the colors at the front door and other touches around the home. Add more substantial plantings are the entry and hostas around the tree is a great idea from toocutedobs! Good luck!
May 25, 2013 at 3:02pm   
ladybuggz
How about some fancy black iron work designs on the orange area's, something to make them pop!
May 26, 2013 at 10:27am   
More Discussions
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
What topics would you like to see more of?
Now that the shiny new Houzz UK has launched, we want...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Bathroom design for a new house
Hi everyone, I am planning my new bathroom. size is...
Help!!!!
How can we go about making this house less ugly.Of...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.