Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my dining room
Yael Coriat
December 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi
I just bought these great aqua leather dining room chairs that go around a glass table
I feel like I need to paint one of the walls with a huge standing mirror in a colour
Any suggestions??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I can certainly see wallpaper in this room - especially because of the rich colour in your chairs. I'm not sure that this mirror is the right size and style. I would suggest an interesting piece of art instead.

December 19, 2012 at 9:53pm     
designideas4me
I kinda think the mirror is too big. It looks bigger than the table.
December 19, 2012 at 10:10pm     
Darzy
I like the wallpaper idea too.

December 19, 2012 at 10:21pm   
charleee
Maybe you could make room for a slim buffet, with the mirror above it?
[houzz=Oakley Home Builders]
Or a great mural [houzz=Greenwich Dining Room]
Perhaps a large starburst? [houzz=Groovy Dining Room]
December 20, 2012 at 1:53am     
Yael Coriat
Thanks for ideas
But I don't think I'll take off mirror cause I have another long empty wall in front
What do you think of gray wall where the window is and adding white sheer long curtains?
December 20, 2012 at 8:09pm   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I love the mirror!! The sheers sound fabulous, but I think u r better off doing a wallpaper on one of the long walls, then a contrasting sheer on the wall with the window!!
December 20, 2012 at 8:38pm   
decoenthusiaste
What would you like to see reflected in the standing mirror? It should reflect something beautiful, so I would want it to be opposite a window with a wonderful window treatment that serves as a background to your striking chandelier. That would be the wall I'd paint or paper.
December 20, 2012 at 8:58pm   
jjdesignkloos
hi Yael, I love the mirror also; and would definitely paint the wall behind it with the same colour as the chairs; I would also add drapery panels in the same colour on each side of your window, with sheers the same colour as the woodwork. Have fun!
December 20, 2012 at 9:11pm   
PRO
EB Interiors
I like the idea of hanging the mirror horizontally.
Wallpaper is awesome on an accent wall,
feel free to email us at thesatinstripe@yahoo.com for fabulous prices on all wallpapers. we drop ship anywhere in us
love hot pink with that green...
December 20, 2012 at 9:13pm     
PRO
EB Interiors
the bottom two loaded in blue...
heres green /more nuetral version
December 20, 2012 at 9:16pm   
designideas4me
Having never used wallpaper can some one please explain more about where to buy it and how to install it. I only see it online and a very small selection at Lowes in a book. Also please tell me again how to determine which is your accent wall in a room and if this is where the wallpaper will go. Is her accent wall behind the dining table?
December 20, 2012 at 9:51pm   
designideas4me
Not sure your budget but if you keep those pretty chairs and the mirror where it is hung horizontally and just get a new LONGER table with a base that matches the wood on the chairs than I think your room would look great.
December 20, 2012 at 9:54pm   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey
the mirror is the highlight.. Just paint the wall behind the mirror with some dark color.. maybe dark chocolate brown
simplicity will stand out

regards
December 20, 2012 at 10:07pm     
Darzy
I love the mirror too and to answer your question about the white sheers I think it would soft and fabulous to hang white sheers floor to ceiling, wall to wall, all the way across. Yummy. Soft and romantic, like your fab chandy. I'd like to see all the walls the same color (no accent wall if wallpaper isn't an option) in a small space. Oh...I think scale of the sconces are too small for that fab mirror. I'd move to the other wall? An accent color? What colors are the adjoining rooms?

December 20, 2012 at 10:17pm     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here's your actual room. A lot depends on the feel you want for this room, darker more moody of light and fresh. These images will help you make up your mind
December 21, 2012 at 5:48am     
PRO
A bit lighter Look
December 21, 2012 at 5:49am     
PRO
White walls, then remember your trim needs to be changed as well
December 21, 2012 at 5:53am   
Natalie
Hi---very pretty so far. Some suggestions, soft sheers wall to wall and ceiling to floor (Darzy) would be perfect for a space this size. NO ACCENT WALL---wallpaper or paint the CEILING. A console/buffet with the mirror turned horizontally and larger sconces or two lamps on buffet. Keep color palette neutral. If you keep the bases for the table, you could cover them entirely by applying silver leaf or you could dry brush metallic silver paint to the raised areas only---either would add interest.Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! [houzz=Hollywood Regency Interior Design][houzz=Pasadena Residence]
December 21, 2012 at 6:14am     
14thstreet
I love those chairs!!!

I agree with Natalie, the column table bases are not the right color for this room. A silver leaf would be beautiful as Natalie suggested. It would go with your mirror, sconces and chandelier much better and make the table more modern.

I love the idea of white sheers on the window wall.

If you are not keen on the wallpaper focal wall idea, I think you should paint all the walls a light pewter color, as in the first photo that olldbobbi suggested. It would warm up the space and add depth also. The floor would really look beautiful with a change in wall color.
December 21, 2012 at 6:27am     
kitasei
What about putting the mirror on the ceiling, letting it reflect the chandelier (and tops of heads for additional interest)?
December 21, 2012 at 6:31am     
PRO
Here's your room with wallpaper on the two walls
December 21, 2012 at 6:46am   
PRO
Without knowing who you are and what your taste is and what's happening in the rest of the house I'd say I like the darker green wall with the co-ordinating fabric on panels, but that's a personal opinion.

I also agree that turning the mirror and mounting it on the wall would be a great option. And yes, the sconces are small in relation to the mirror.

I think with these images you will have a clearer picture of where you can go with your furniture and decide on the look that fits you the best.

Good luck. The room has lots of potential for some drama!!
December 21, 2012 at 6:48am     
orangecamera
I'd put beautiful wallpaper on the wall opposite the mirror. That way the mirror will reflect it, and it's almost like doing 2 walls in wallpaper. It also give something interesting for everyone at the table to see (nobody will have to face the "boring" wall).

I'd like to see the table bases a bit darker to tie in with your chairs. Probably rubbing on some dark stain and wiping it off quickly will do the trick and highlight the details at the same time. If you do this, don't forget the tops of the bases (the part the glass is sitting on). I don't know what material the bases are, or how to choose the right stain...i just come up with ideas. If you like it, perhaps someone with experience in this area can direct you.
December 21, 2012 at 7:27am     
kitasei
The bases look like faux stone to me, so if you darken them I'd make it a gray, not a wood tone.
December 21, 2012 at 7:31am   
carbary
Paint the ceiling get a paint chip book and pick a color in the same range only lighter than the chairs. I think the walls should be chocolate
December 23, 2012 at 9:11am   
Yael Coriat
Wow
Thanks all so much for all the amazing suggestions!!!
December 26, 2012 at 7:02pm   
Yael Coriat
Wow
Thanks all so much for all the amazing suggestions!!!
December 26, 2012 at 7:03pm   
Karen Somerville
This reminds me of a blog post at Colour Me Happy, by Maria Killam . There's bound to be some ideas for colour combinations here. http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/12/my-take-on-pantones-2013-colour-of-the-year-emerald.html
December 26, 2012 at 7:27pm   
designideas4me
Karen... In reading a bit on the website( interesting) it made me want to ask the question, " Do designers push a particular brand of paint and if so why"? I know personally I have met with a few painterd who all left me the paint chip booklet thingie..whatever thats called. All the paint stores have different ways they separate the colors. Some divide by neutrals and accent colors.Some have 8 shades on a page and others have 6. When using a system based on hues and tones and saturation and everthing else that goes into choosing a palete that works well together, do designers have a specific way to use those color books? Can you share how that works? I know there is a science to it more than just arbitrarily picking colors.
December 26, 2012 at 10:08pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, you may also need some curtains that add further interest. Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtains that you may like and attached are some photos.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 27, 2012 at 12:50am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
This seems to be my color of the day but BM Antiquan sky would be the perfecct color as it has the same value aqua of your chairs. This will make the space look more cohesive and then chose a fabric that has cream, aqua and any other color you like and then use this 3rd color for your accents. I do like the idea of a bold pattern on the drapes. Great looking room so far! Love the mirror so hang a great piece of art opposite it so that it will reflect it.
December 27, 2012 at 4:38am   
PRO
As a designer I tend to use BM because I like the way it goes up on walls by the fact that the painters dont complain. It also mixes well. When relegated to low end paints, workmen complain. Dont need that. Once you know a line it is easy to use and there is no system. The most important thing is that the paint should be tried on the wall and then looked at throughout the day so see if you like it in all natural lights and intensity of light as well as with "artificial" lighting, i.e. Fixtures.
December 27, 2012 at 4:46am   
PRO
Prime Walls
I LOVE the colour you picked for your chairs! Also I enjoy the suggestion of wallpaper for that accent wall. Here are a few ideas based on both grey and aqua colour schemes!
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/78 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/74 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/779

The wallpaper will give you that accent wall, it will add texture and pattern to the space, and open the door for you to use a light sheer curtain for your windows.
try using a grey or off white sheer curtain, keep the trim white to tie in the accents and you are good to go.

Primewalls.com
December 27, 2012 at 6:00am   
Karen Somerville
Reply for designideas4me about designers and paint. I'm not a professional designer. However, from the experience I have had working with designers I would say yes. Preference in brand may be dictated familiarity with a particular line of products, the undertones and base if the paints. I'm sure that there are volume discounts to be had, but that's to the clients advantage. As for how the colour boards work....I'm sorry I don't know. As a marketing person (that's my trade), my guess is that those colour sheets are more about offering the customer ideas, kind of a value added service (in the case that the guy mixing the paint is not a colour expert).Maybe one of the designers can help here?
December 27, 2012 at 8:16am   
designideas4me
ok thank you.
December 27, 2012 at 8:18am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with the wall paper ideas. I personally do not like mirrors in dining rooms. Especially if I'm the one sitting across from them you become very self conscious about eating. If you are trying to lose weight it is good to sit in front of one. It is not good for guests.
December 27, 2012 at 8:21am     
scaine
Something that reflects the same type of colour shown from the view through your window, soft amethyst? or perhaps charcoal grey? or a combination of this
December 27, 2012 at 8:54am   
scaine
I love the mirror and I think that the room needs this. It gives dimension
December 27, 2012 at 8:57am   
PRO
By Design EK
I would go with a nice grey also for the long wall where the mirror is propped up and hang the mirror. Can you get or do you have another sconce like the one there to hang on either side of it? I also like the idea of wallpaper because i think some pattern would be great, balance out the boldneww of the chairs but not adding more color. You can get good quality wallpaper at the higher end paint stores like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Most painting contractors also will hang wallpaper. Ask the at the stores with wallpaper for some recommendations. I like Thibaut wallpapers, Sherwin Williams has an HGTV line. Then add some drapes to the window with some of the grey also. Drapes are West Elm, wallpapers are both Thibaut.
December 27, 2012 at 9:01am     
PRO
A very pale lavender will look fabulous with the aqua chairs. BM has some greys with a lavender base that might just be the ticket.
December 29, 2012 at 5:53am     
ckanters
Wow, what interesting chairs. It sounds like you have the room for a side table. I love the first picture that olldbobbi provided. I think that the wood side table gives a little more texture to the room. If you wanted the bing...you could make this a mirrored sideboard. As pretty as the mirror is...it seems just a little big. I think the mirror is a good idea, but I would use a smaller scale.You could add the pretty white sheers you mentioned, so that things are kept light and then pick an accent wall paper. There are some great ideas aready posted here. I like your table...I would wait and see what type of wall paper you pick before doing anything to the legs.
December 29, 2012 at 6:09am   
Annie Browns
It depends on your taste and style, but mostly, you need also the best advice from the best home builders and custom home designers. Just like here in the Bayswater from the Australian Heritage Homes. You can contact them and quote for your dining design. Visit, http://www.ahhcustomhomes.com.au.
March 17, 2014 at 12:21am