Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior help on new build
Jill Smith
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are getting ready to build our new home. Here is a rough sketch of the exterior. Trying to decide stone/brick colors and placement. Any thoughts??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Kenny Craft, CNU LEED AP
I don't know any of the context of your project, but I just happened to see this post and figured I'd throw out a couple of recommendations... Generally speaking, I'd say the elevation could use some simplification. It seems there are too many gables competing for attention. Similarly with materials, I find simpler is better. I usually recommend no more than two different visible materials. Where these material changes happen is also very critical. Generally, material changes should only happen vertically, not horizontally. An example application for this house would be to have a "base" of stone, that wraps all the way around the house. Then, "stacking" on top of the base you could transition to brick above this (all the way around the home), or siding above (all the way around the home). These will probably seem like drastic changes, so it might be more feedback than you bargained for..., but I just thought I'd throw it out there...

I attached one example image, of a design I did which illustrates a simpler material palate (stone base, stucco upper), with transitions only happening vertically. Hope this helps... - Kenny Craft - Craft Design Studio, PLLC.
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:16AM
Jill Smith
Never too much info! This is great and information I need to know before construction starts. Thank you!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:33AM
PRO
Beyl Construction, LLC
Agree with Kenny, but before you jump into the stone base, etc. be advised that they charge quite a bit to install that small amount of stone around the base, but your elevations do need some help. I see he is a design studio, we are a builder. People are always shocked at charges the subs charge for ideas that seem simple/minimal. Not sure where you are with budget. However, love Kenny's comments and his ability to communicate clearly and he threw in a similar picture for you too!!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:45AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I like using brick and stone together, but it takes real effort to coordinate them. I would suggest you look at exteriors here on Houzz and maybe also on houseplans.com. My first impression is that you are accenting the wrong walls on the front of the house.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:46AM
PRO
Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
I think your front entrance should be the focal point and the stone facade makes the ancillary gable bump outs more prominent. I would lose those gable roofs on either side and make the front entrance more inviting.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:49AM
Jill Smith
Our builder did mention stone was pricier than brick. I agree the stone accents are not placed well. Found this on this site. Our plans don't show it but we will have this covered porch also
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 4:56AM
architectrunnerguy
I'm with Kenny on this one. Great advice there. Attached is another example of material changes happening vertically as he mentioned. Also has a bunch of gables. Your elevation is a trainwreck. I especially love the siding on the right!!

A similiar thread came up two weeks ago and I'll ask the same first question here as I asked there. Is this drawing a design drawing or a construction document? Looks like a CAD guy masquerading as someone creative.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:25AM
PRO
Dytecture
Personally I would either pick the stone or brick but rarely together as they will compete with each other.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:23AM
mmilos
I like the contrast of having the stone and brick. I think the drawing makes it look busy because every brick and stone is outlined. I would pick a stone that has browns, grays and beiges in it...then pick a brick that is lighter than the stone but in the same beige/gray family. I would use mortar on the brick in a color that made it all read as one finish, albeit textured.

If you think it's too much brick, perhaps the tops of the larger recessed brick gables could be your siding material.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:34AM
Jill Smith
Thanks for the input!
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 11:05AM
PRO
Studio Homes
I do agree about too many lines/gables.... but I just wanted to throw out a different material option to consider....shaker shingles. They are often overlooked but when done right they are the nicest home on the block! You could go with real cedar shakes or get the vinyl ones that are amazing....we use them on new builds all the time. They come in a huge array of colors and textures and are about one quarter the cost of stone. You could actually do a short row of stone say 2 ft high and top with shakes for a super dramatic textured look. check out some pics here on Houzz of shaker siding.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 11:25AM
Jill Smith
I love shaker shingles! I have been browsing this site but haven't come up with a home with a similar design as ours with the shingles. I will keep looking-thank you!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:02AM
architectrunnerguy
The house I posted above is shaker shingles above siding with each it's own color.

Also, a good building will reveal different things about itself from different distances. For example, one of the many but subtle details there we have that does that is the slight flair out of the shingles as it meets the brick. Obvious when one walks up to the front door but not so much from 100 yards away.

Your elevation could benefit from a little of that kind of thinking.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:36AM