Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with styling my combined living room / dining room
taylora
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have just never been able to make this room work. I am always moving things around. It is used as our main dining room & I usually move the table into the middle & the sofa over to where the table is now, and it does look good - however it isint practical day to day. The table & chairs need to stay, but I can change the sofa. Had thought of 2 small cream sofas facing each other & the table opposite the fireplace, but where would the TV go? You might not guess from these pics., but I particularly like natural rustic deco. PS. I am from Scotland, & really love the houzz site.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
designmuse
I think you need ideas for better furniture placement but it is difficult to advise without seeing the rest of the room and different/farther away views. Can you post additional pics?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:16AM
taylora
3.81m x 5.08m is the size of the room. The pics I have uploaded are the only ones I can manage to get.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:24AM
ptmatthews
Love the artwork! I think I would put the larger chest under the larger window and the sofa along the wall where the chest is now. That way you could put your lamps on the larger chest and they would provide light for the sofa. I would leave the table and chairs where they are. I would also get a longer table, like a coffee table, for the TV - one that runs from the corner to the fireplace, and put the firewood basket under that table.
0 Likes   Thanked by taylora    on Tuesday at 10:20PM
Lila Hayes
It's hard to lay out without knowing the size of the furniture (and there has to be a door into another room somewhere in there), but have you considered putting the dining room table right up against the back of the couch? If you regularly have 4 people eating there it wouldn't work, but if there's only one or two it would save space. Also, the TV would look nice on top of the bigger credenza. If it was me I'd paint the wall with the fireplace darker to give it all more presence.
0 Likes   Thanked by taylora    on Tuesday at 11:25PM