Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with our kitchen
adancingirl
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are currently in the midst of making some change to our kitchen. Cabinets are relatively new and in good condition but we are uncertain about how to paint kitchen because of their light color. Hubby wants to change cabinet color but I think he dislikes them so much because the kitchen has no color pop. I think they can work if we make some good choices with wall colors and back splash. Please advise. Painters come in 6 days!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
adancingirl
Should also add home is a 1909 Arts and Crafts style home
December 20, 2012 at 8:09am   
PRO
Ralston Decorating Group
Hi, it seems to me, your kitchen its about 12' x 10? In an Arts and Crafts home, if you were to follow the style, would mean a simple and natural approach. Keep in mind, dark colors make rooms look smaller ( but cozy ) lighter colors make rooms seem bigger. We always work color from the floor up. So, I would keep the cabinets the same color unless they are a bright white, pick a back splash in a shade or two darker than the cabinets, but lighter than your floor. I would paint the kitchen perhaps a soft wheat color to pull the whole thing together.
Javier Chacone, IDS, DSA, IFDA Interior Designer
December 20, 2012 at 8:19am     
Ramona
I think the cabinets are lovely. I would add color on the walls and back splash. You have black appliances, so making the cabinets darker will really darken the room. There are tons of beautiful back splash products. What are your favorite colors? What colors do you have in the rest of the house? Personally, I love bold color and subtle color, but am not a beige person so Ralston's ideas do not resonate with me.

What about pearlescent glass tile for back splash?

December 20, 2012 at 9:34am     
charleee
I would keep the upper cabinets as they are, but paint the lower cabinets a dark gray to better blend with the black appliances. To add a bit of interest, glass backsplash tiles like these: [houzz=
]
December 20, 2012 at 9:43am     
PRO
Christine Schlemmer
27estore.com always has such beautiful cabinets and they don't seem to be that expensive to me.
December 20, 2012 at 9:52am   
decoenthusiaste
rustoleumtransformations.com has a product that is getting great reviews from those who try it.
December 20, 2012 at 9:53am   
hollybaumgartner
What's the black beast in the corner of the countertop? A microwave? Would love that moved if possible! Here's what I did with my backsplash area - and no harder to clean than the one in the bathroom! And you can't believe how inexpensive it is! It goes all the way around the backsplash......
December 20, 2012 at 10:07am     
patriciarhall
replacing the micro with an over-the-stove one in place of the hood will make a huge difference and micros with vent systems are less than $200 at Lowe's. Adding oil rubbed hardware to cabinet doors will make them pop a bit more. What are the paint colors you are thinking of for kitchen walls? What other spaces are open to the kitchen and what are the colors?
December 20, 2012 at 10:30am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Color is so personal you really need to follow you taste. Personally I like to work in bright kitchens with lots of natural light. I have clients that like dark really warm colors and the kitchens I have done for them are beautiful. I tend to look at the colors in my clients closets. If I find a color they wear a lot and seem to be drawn toward. I put a few samples on they wall to see how they feel. Most of the time this works.
December 20, 2012 at 10:57am   
PRO
Butterfly Yao
The existing cabinets color is good. Color is really personal taste, I agree with Interiors International, Inc. In my opinion: to update your kitchen with less change and less pay, you only need to put new back splash (creamy marble color) and new wall paint (brown color).
December 20, 2012 at 11:53am   
PRO
Butterfly Yao
And I also prefer the flooring tiles light color, your existing flooring tiles are too dark for me.
December 20, 2012 at 11:55am     
PRO
KSI Kitchen & Bath
You should pull a complementary color from the floor to paint the walls. Do not paint the cabinetry. As Interiors International said, color is a personal choice, so choose something you like. With the color of your cabinetry and floors, a nice stone backsplash would coordinate well in your space. Like this:
Traditional Kitchen design by Chicago Design-build DESIGNfirst Builders
December 20, 2012 at 12:01pm     
PRO
December 20, 2012 at 12:02pm   
PRO
Bluecopper Interior Design
Considering the arts and crafts style of your home and the earthy tones of your floor and countertop, combined with the warm, organic wood grain in your cabinets, I'd go with the "Honed Vitality" palette in Sherwin Williams 2013 colors. Specifically, "Safari", "Wickerwork", or "Spiced Cider", would complement the warm tones of your existing materials. In choosing, take into consideration the colors in the adjacent spaces. Don't go too light, more contrast would be nice. Also, consider using a slate tile on the backsplash to further enhance the look. I always suggest putting at least a 2ft x 2ft sample on the wall and look at it in the daytime and at night, as the lighting makes a huge difference. And go with an eggshell or satin finish vs. flat, for durability.
December 20, 2012 at 12:26pm     
adancingirl
All really awesome suggestions! This is my first time submitting a dilemma and I am so glad I did. Lol regarding the microwave. It was one of the first things I said needed to go when we started this.
December 20, 2012 at 1:23pm     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi adancingirl!
Personally, I like the idea of using cool colors to play off the warmth of your existing surfaces. I suggest a light gray for the walls, and a backsplash in a light green or blue. I just think it would work well with what you've already got going on, and create a lot more visual interest than a room full of beige. Below are some tiles from our site that I think would look great in your kitchen, along with a paint suggestions(Benjamin Moore's Pebble Beach). Good luck with your project!
December 21, 2012 at 6:33am     
kitasei
Surprised no one has mentioned the window. I would like to see it painted a creamier white so that it doesn't jump out as an unintended contrast with the cabinetry. The framing around it could also be changed to a natural stain wood, more in keeping with the Arts & Crafts style. I would find another way to post reminders than the refrigerator door..
December 21, 2012 at 6:44am   
More Discussions
What to do with this space?
New office space in need of some help. Any midcentury/eclectic...
Need held with living room/dining room and stone/brick wall!
Hello! We just acquired a beautiful appartement in...
Interior Doors
In the home I am remodelling, all of the bedroom, bathroom...
This or That: Nonstick VS Stainless Steel
Which do you prefer? Vote for your choice below...
Plan of new flat. Need help to find out our mistake and your advices/
Hi! It's greate site with a lot of beatiful fotos and...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.