Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help Needed New Light Fixtures for Kitchen/Breakfast Nook
Saint James
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi! We are purchasing a home and the sellers are taking all the light fixtures. I need to replace two light fixtures in the kitchen and a chandelier over the adjacent breakfast table. The ceilings are 10 feet. The cabinets look like a maple color with dark hardware. The ceilings are pine. I really like the "Armonk" chandelier from Pottery Barn, but I am not sure what to put in the kitchen that might coordinate with it. Perhaps some lanterns? I also really like the basket weave chandelier from Old world Designs. I also like Hinkley's Rockford Lighting Collection. What do you think would look good?? Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
I like the Armonk chandelier. The other one is too ornate. That lantern above the sink is hideous...be glad the owners are taking that off your hands. I would choose a simpler pendant for over the sink...perhaps the Pottery Barn Rustic Glass Pendant.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:25AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I can't see what the kitchen table looks like but the Hinkley piece is a long time favourite of mine. It is so graceful if the proportions work for your space.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:35AM
Saint James
Thanks for your comments! I really appreciate them! Here is a shot of the basket weave chandelier I was thinking about and the kitchen table space. Keep in mind this is not my furniture. I have a darker wood pedestal table I got from Pier One. Do you think it would look weird to have two of the same pendants hanging in the kitchen? Or should I have a larger fixture in the center and a smaller one over the sink?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 11:52AM
decoenthusiaste
I would have a focal chandy hung 36" or less above the table, a smaller similar, but not identical, pendant style one over the island and an LED can light over the sink. Prefer this closed basket weave to the open one, as it has a bit of a contemporary twist to it. I don't care for the lantern styles. In my experience, glass and kitchens are a combo for cleaning nightmares.

0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 12:15PM
Saint James
Thank you! I think you are right. I like your combination suggestion. Now it's just a matter of trying to find what you're talking about. I like the basket weave light you've posted. I was hoping to find something with more of a bronze or darker finish... also, forgot to metion there are two sconces in the breakfast area (not shown), so I'm trying hard to find something that all goes together and doesn't look too "builder standard" Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I am open to your new light suggestions!! pictures are great too!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 1:56PM
knowyourdecor
Depending on where you're located, look for a lighting showroom. They can show you (and order) all the examples you're seeing here and the service and advice is better than trying to do something online or through catalogs and making a costly mistake. Quoizel www.quoizel.com has some pendants and the basket chandelier that would coordinate, so you don't have to be matchy. Much better to treat them as the separate areas that they are.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 9:38AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I like the idea of having different fixtures over the island and the sink, but try to stay away from clear glass shades, they are very trendy right now but they cast horrible shadows and patterns around the room, great for hallways, not so much for kitchens!
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 1:41PM
Saint James
Ok, so we decided on something different for over the breakfast table - the Laurenza 8 light chandelier from Ballard Designs. But the major dillemma is what to do about the two fixtures in the adjoining kitchen? the breakfast table is right next to the kitchen...any ideas about what might look good?
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 9:08PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
One of the places in the room where your eyes are turned to is ceiling. Agree if your ceiling has only one light bulb with no plafond - it will be terribly ugly. We have many different pendants and chandeliers http://www.furniturenyc.net/pendants.html
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 2:48AM
PRO
Stepping Stone
I would go with a small to medium chandelier and then a mini type fixture above the sink.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 3:15AM
Saint James
Thanks! I like the chandeliers. The first one looks like it is Chateau by Feiss, but where is the smaller fixture from?
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 9:06AM
PRO
Stepping Stone
They are both from American Light Source, also, well priced, see link: http://www.americanlightsource.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3333
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 1:50PM
rrpent
While fixing the Chandelier, please take care the weight of Chandelier. Whether the ceiling fixing screws can hold or not.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 6:31AM
rrpent
I need idea how 88 lb weight Chandelier can be hang ? In my house two floors height open vault ceiling and there was about 32 lb Chandelier. I took the 32 Lb chandelier and replace it by 88 lb Crystal Chandelier. Immediate after 30 minutes the Hanger Chain Ceiling Plate move down to about half inches. When I saw moving down about half Inch, I took out the Chandelier from the Hanging Chain. Now I need help how to fix the Chain in the ceiling.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 8:43AM
sage0807
I noticed someone recommended the Rustic Pendant Lights - my husband just put two of small pendants over our island for me in the kitchen and I LOVE them. I think one of those would look great over your sink - or possibly the Hundi lantern if it's not too big for the space.

May I ask where you found the first chandelier you posted (looks like the Armonk chandelier but has the glass around the lights).
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 11:56AM