Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small kitchen floorplan needs help
ajbeanblosom
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a tiny kitchen (in fact, my fridge door has to be opened in order to fully open my oven door), and we are looking to rennovate. I would like to hear your suggestions to maximize the space, storage, and how to create a better flow. Right now, only one person can fit in the kitchen and accomplish anything. We discussed demo-ing the wall between the living room, moving the fridge beside the stove (the stove would have to move over a bit) and putting the dishwasher on the right hand side of the sink (eliminating the current island). An island that would double as a kitchen table would go where the pantry is now, and maybe some more cabinets on the wall of the kitchen table. (which would also build a small hallway in front of our master bedroom). I absolutely HATE how our bedroom has no privacy from the kitchen or living room, and would like to do something about that as well. (However, that wall is the only way to access the bedroom). We could possibly expand the kitchen out to the covered patio, but we cannot move any drain pipes (sink would have to remain in the same spot). I greatly appreciate any advice and input you have!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Remove the island and put the fridge there by the sink for easy off loading of foods to be prepped at the sink. Or you could knock out that wall and make the sink an island big enough for the dishwasher as well. Would not put a fridge (for cold items) next to a stove (that gets hot.) Keep them separate if you can and your electic bill may reflect it. If the sink and fridge are close it makes for easier work and remember the work triangle as plan your space - sink/fridge/stove should form the points of a triangle for less steps and time wasted. Another tip is to put the dishwasher near the cabinet where you'll be off-loading the most dishes from it. A step saver too.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 1:21PM
ajbeanblosom
Thank you! Never thought about the stove/fridge conflict, but excellent point.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 1:36PM
Grace Reed
Hi. I always recommend an 18" dishwasher in a small kitchen since today's DW's hold a lot more than they used to. A lot of us don't need - or have the room for - a 24". Good luck. Grace
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:07PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Hi, can you provide a few more measurements, and pictures. Dimensions of covered Patio, width of hallway so the exact dimensions available in the kitchen. Also the width of your Fridge an Sink. Also are you going to change your sink, and can you go for a single or 1 1/2" sink. Thanks
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:12PM
ajbeanblosom
The sink and fridge will probably change with the remodel (the fridge we have now is slightly larger than the smallest apartment size), the hallway and door openings are 36" and so is the opening between the island/nook-ish peninsula, the patio is 10 ft wide (extending away from the house) and is about 40 ft long. I will try to get more pics posted later, but there is not much more than what is pictured (other than the kitchen table). The cabinets are old and cheap, and will be replaced. Ultimately the kitchen/dining area will be a complete gut, so we can somewhat start from scratch. I found another picture of a similar layout (attached below) that may work a little better, but I would also love to hear fresh ideas. We have two small kids (2 & 4), and plan to remain in the house until their grown, and I would love for the kitchen to welcome them and their friends in. I would rather not have the kitchen take up the entire patio (we live in Phoenix, and enjoy it year-round), but a bumpout for kitchen cabinets might be necessary for space. Thank you for the reply, and for the tip about the 18" dishwasher.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:54PM
PRO
Dytecture
A more radical approach would be to combine the kitchen and dining room and place the table in the middle as the main eating area that could double as working surface.

0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:59PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Check this with a few feet from the Covered patio.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:30PM
ajbeanblosom
Sorry, Dezign, but I am having trouble seeing the image. When I try to zoom in, it gets really fuzzy. Thank you Dytecture, I like the idea of adding cabinets (maybe a drink station) on the wall of the table. It may help to create a little privacy for the master bedroom. I would love to any more suggestions or tips!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:25AM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
I'm sorry. Hope this layout depicts correct positions of the rooms. Let me know if there is an error as the inside dimensions of the existing kitchen is not clear. Hope this helps. I have taken 3 to 4 feet in the
covered patio area. The position of the stove and dishwasher remains the same. The sink is in line with dishwasher and stove next to the dishwasher. have removed the wall between the kitchen and living room. If that's a loadbearing wall then there my have to be a column for support.
There is an L shaped wall in front of the Master bed rm for privacy, this may not be practical as I do not have the complete measurements from end of Living rm and the other end.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 9:34PM