Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my family room!
l00k
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just moved to my dream home,i bought a cream modular sofa and now the room look soo white.Please help with ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennisanyone
A big area rug with color will do wonders for this room. Add a coffee table too and a big piece of art behind the couch. The drapes should come to the floor and hung higher and wider. That is what caught my eye first not the white furniture. I think the TV should be lowered too.
4 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 1:53PM
Chandani
It looks like your are judging a work in progress... so don't be too hard on yourself. A few thoughts:
1. try playing around with furniture placement. The two chairs that face each other, are they single armless chairs? If so, I would split the up and perhaps move them to the other side of the room, in front of the window. I'd place the ottoman in front of the sofa, to the side that has the small table.
2. Consider a larger rug, one with some pattern including some lighter tones to bring things together.
3. Consider extending your widow treatment, so that you have panels on either side of the windows and a linen type sheer fabric panel in a similar colour to the sofa in front of the window. Make sure they are long enough to just skim the floor.
4. larger end table and coffee table - in wood and glass.
5.art work over your couch
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 1:57PM
judianna20
3 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:06PM
l00k
hank you so much for all your suggestions.i would welcome more:)
Do i need to change the wall color to make it less contrasting?What color accent cushion should i get
and what color rug should i get?
@Tennisanyone,Spot on ,you are so right,The curtains came with the house and,the TV fixture was alreadythere. I noticed that these need o be changed but havent got around it.Where do i shop for longer length curtains?
@Chandani,Love your suggestions!yes those are two armless chairs,they are placed there so that we can all view the TV comfortably.
Earlier i wanted an eclectic theme.ie single sofa on the main wall and a setee with rolled armrests ,as a divider beween the family and the dining,but coud not find a setee comfortable or of that size.
But as i have kids, we swapped for comfort instead.
judyg,i love black and white too,how do i arrange everything.Can you please be be more specific?
What exact shade do i change the wall color to?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:24PM
l00k
Also where do i move the ferns?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:45PM
decoenthusiaste
Love judyg's pic/post and you can see how much larger a rug you need. That is where I think you should start. Find the perfect big rug and use the colors in it to trick out walls, accessories, drapes. homedecorators.com is a good place to start. For longer curtains you may have to shop online too. Country Curtains has some you might like in longer lengths. I think you should ditch the two little tables and go for something more in keeping with the sofas. I think you'll want some striking drum chandys too. Your dining set appears to be too lightweight and more of a patio style. Will you be replacing that with something substantial? It just blends into the floor. I think with kids you need to steer away from the glass table.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:48PM
tennisanyone
I would like those two chairs separated. I didn't realize that they were two chairs pushed together.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 2:54PM
l00k
Thanks Deco!IThe table from our old house,I have ordered a larger round copper top table.with a black pedestal base.What color chairs do i get?Will leather be a bit too much.If fabric then what color?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:57PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I totally agree that the two pieces should be separated into the chairs that they are. Then I'd put them facing the TV, once you get it moved, at whichever end of the sofa has a good view. I'd place a "C" table between them, see below, and they would share the ottoman.

I'd find a rug with multiple colors that you love. I'd add pillows, much larger than what you have in 3 colors from the rug. It would be nice to have a glass coffee table so that the rug will be quite visible.

I'd like to see the sofa wall painted in a bold color and then I'd place 3 large round mirrors, says about 36" diam, over the sofa in a row. They may extend somewhat beyond the sofa. Or you could paint the wall a color and hang a large painting over the sofa.

Marble Top C Table CB2 Up-Close Cranesbill Rug Paris Coffee Table Loft Round Mirror Queens
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 2:58PM
l00k
There is very little space for side tables,what do i get ,these are from my older house,need to replce them.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:00PM
PRO
You could avoid end tables altogether and just use floor lamps.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:02PM
Manon Floreat
There are some very good suggestions above. I do not think the wall color needs to be changed. I would add a larger area rug, address the curtains and add color through art and accessories. Attached are some items/colors to consider. I like the idea of incorporating more of the plums and warm pinks into your space. Hope this helps a bit.
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 3:55PM
l00k
Thanks Carolyn,great suggestions! I love that you attach things i can see.i have had reds for along time would like to change to another color,Could you suggest something different say blues or greens?
@Manon,love the pinks!Thanks.I can paint and sketch a little bit too so i can try out diff colors.What color curtains would look good?Something closer to the wall color,sofa color or rug color?
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:18PM
l00k
@ Carol saw your work,just loved the colors,oranges etc,fantastic.Please keep guiding me in the future.You are awesome!
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 4:23PM
PRO
If you want to go with blue/green, here's a winner of a rug, shown below. However, if you'd like to venture into the world of blue and orange, there's another rug below that you might enjoy. Finnia Rug Ikat Rugs-Blue & Orange
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:21PM
feeny
Love the blue and orange one, Carolyn!!
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:30PM
decoenthusiaste
Is this your table? Looks a little short in this pic - but is a dining table. Ethan Allen has one that has a more substantial cross piece on the bottom for stability. As for chairs, these look fun but a bit flimsy to me. Maybe someone has used them and can relate their experience. Otherwise, I'd say a black chair would be a good choice, in the same finish as the pedestal. Again, wait for the rug to determine the exact colors you'll be adding to the mix here. If the dining area is in view of the living room, more leather might be too much, but a touch of it might not be bad. If this little black chair had a leather seat it might be fun. Depends on how classical your table is. Would be a nice eclectic touch to tie in with the feel of the sofas.
Copper Dining Table - Wood Pedestal Base
Redsmith Dining Chair
Redd Black Chair with White PVC Cushion
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 5:34PM
larry1333
I think a red or burgundy rug would look GREAT!!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:40PM
larry1333
Maybe even put some wall art above the couch!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 5:46PM
l00k
Just rearranged my furniture as suggested .I am posting the before and after pics .Please let me know which looks better,once i know the arrangement i can move ahead.The first pic is the before.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 1:41PM
PRO
In the first top two pictures, I actually prefer the before (left). What I wanted you to do was to separate the two pieces that are in the foreground and face them toward the windows, with a table between them.

I also prefer the before in the bottom row. The sofa is too long on the right.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 2:59PM
l00k
Thanks I thought as well.The reason why they were put together was that the we all like to lounge with our feet up.Only the first pic is the bfore the other three are the after.Sorry about the confusion.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 3:42PM
PRO
I wish you would try the two armless pieces, using them as chairs sharing an ottoman in front of them, and with a table between the chairs.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:24PM
sfloy
Love your wall color. I would start with a colorful rug (blues, aquas, tans, and corals for example) and place pillows that blend with rug colors on sofa. Like the idea of splitting the lounge piece and converting it to two club chairs with larger colorful pillows. Your family could still lounge there by placing the ottoman in front of them. The windowed wall would look nice having one large curtain covering both windows with the rod placed closer to the ceiling. I'd choose a neutral, textured fabric maybe a couple shades darker than wall color. Good luck.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 8:50PM
PRO
Metro Interiors
i am having trouble identifying a common theme. the whit seats look ultra modern and the side tables are too small
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:58PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I agree with most of the suggestions here. Luckily for you those furniture pieces you can move around. When its time to entertain I would put those chairs on either side of the fireplace. If its possible I would mount the tv above the fire place and you need new longer drapery that runs from ceiling to floor as well as a bigger rug. The tile and leather are screaming that they need texture. I would also do some sort of art or mirror above the couch. You seem to like contemporary. Check out my fave store www.zgallerie.com. Chic contemporary furniture reasonably priced. I also have a one year old so I know designing with kids and dogs is a challenge but I opted for a fabric ottoman. Hope this helps and good luck! Post after pics :)
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 10:11PM
larry1333
I personally like the first pic the best!!!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 1:01PM