Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How would you decorate this room?
Natasha
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone! I'm from Buenos Aires, and I decided to give a fresh air to this kind of glass-room. It was built about 5 years ago, and since that moment It turned into a deposit of different and lots of things for the family. But I really like the idea of turn it to a "meeting room" for friends, because the swimming pool is very near of this place of the house.
I want to keep the essence of the room, it's like rustic I think... As you see in the photos, I was thinking of changing the ugly and old pink curtains, doing something stylish on the bricks-wall, putting some nice floor, but any idea would be well received! So, feel free of giving some advices, opinios, ideas, or anything that could give me a hand :)
P.s.: My english is not so good, sorry..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
December 20, 2012 at 2:38pm     
Darzy
What a great space! I wouldn't touch the floor or brick! Sooo much character! How about a bit bigger rustic table and find yard sale chairs and paint them the same color to coordinate? Then, find a fabric you love to reupholster? If the chairs have no cushions..that's good too. You could also paint the chairs all different colors! Blue, yellow, pink, lime green if you like that look. In the corner window area, how about a couple of wicker chairs with a small table between for intimate conversation? I like the blue/raspberry colors on the window trim. You could add another pop of sunny yellow!

December 20, 2012 at 2:49pm     
charleee
Darzy! Great job!
December 20, 2012 at 2:50pm   
Darzy
Thx Bobbi!
December 20, 2012 at 2:52pm     
feeny
Love your brick! So much character!
December 20, 2012 at 2:59pm     
charleee
You betcha Darzy.
December 20, 2012 at 3:04pm   
mpoulsom
I think I would also add some curtains that are tied back or tied in a knot down to the floor. Love the room! And then find a really cool rustic chandelier with candles to hang over the meeting table.

[houzz=
]
December 20, 2012 at 3:09pm     
mpoulsom
look in the search box (photos) for rustic or outdoor chandeliers....there are so many that would work there. You could do the rustic table, with the colorful chairs and do either a metal or wood rustic chandelier OR go in the opposite direction and do something in a funky fun color for the light fixture...or just all glass! Saw too many great examples to post. Get an outdoor rug for underneath the table as well.

[houzz=
]
December 20, 2012 at 3:20pm     
azdecorator
I would pant the red brick white and wipe them for a rustic look. It would definitely open up the room
December 20, 2012 at 3:23pm     
PRO
American National Insurance
you could also use roll-up shades (bamboo or twig style to match the rustic feel) so you have coverings that are useful, decorative, but can be easily kept clear of the windows and the wonderful light. i agree with leaving the brick and floor! maybe a nice outdoor area rug to anchor the table and some chairs.
December 20, 2012 at 3:23pm     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Love Darzy's ideas! Here some more ideas with photo inspiration I found on Houzz:
Living Room
Photo 1: Try hanging bright framed art up on the brick wall.
Brownstone
Photo 2: Woven Roman Shades to replace the curtains. Also salvaged metal architectural scrollwork looks great against a brick wall.
living room
Photo 3: Mosaic tile decoration above the windows and colorful area rug over the tile floor.
December 20, 2012 at 3:29pm     
Darzy
mpoulson's ideas for chandelier and area rug...oh yes!
December 20, 2012 at 3:55pm     
Susan Garman
i would place a comfortable settee in front of the fireplace with a coffee table and 2 club chairs on each end of the coffee table facing each other. Nice area rug under the coffee table. Bright colored throw pillows on the settee, and chairs. A large brass egyptian art above the settee on the wall, a nice plant and some attractive books on the coffee table. Maybe a couple of candles. A nice mantle and facade surrounding the fireplace. The mantle there is too small and insignificant. Put some nice tall candles off to the side in different heights on one end of the mantle. Either a large mirror over the fireplace. and other figurines on the mantle. Using some pops of bright red, green, mahogany stained wood, and brass coloring. Even some purple and orange put in. Some colored bottles in different heights on the mantle on the opposite end. Under the windows. You can use some drapes with wood plantation blinds in the windows. Place a little bistro table and 2 chairs with cushions on each side. Some palm trees in some pots in the corners and hang some vintage ceiling fans from the ceiling over the table and coffee table. End tables with lamps and some pottery. Place some large pottery and large baskets on either side of the fireplace. Some floor cushions would be nice also.
December 20, 2012 at 3:59pm     
PRO
Ambience Real Estate Holdings, LLC
Love the brick but it's a little overwhelming... I would paint the brick on the walls (beige) - the texture would give it great character. I would consider replacing the floor with medium/dark hardwood or travertine (not polished). I would also bring in furniture with elements of green and add a couple of indoor plants.
Kitchen table
Mud Room
Swallow Drive
December 20, 2012 at 6:36pm     
saltcitybabe
Take the freezer and all other furnishings out of the room, including the curtains. Lose the red and royal blue painted trims. Think about white curtains or white match stick roll up blinds. A natural sisal rug.......all white furnishings and the some green real life plants and big whiteg pots. Then take a breath and accent with black. Leave the brick on the walls and floors. If still too dark, PAINT THE BRICK WALLS....there, I said it.
December 20, 2012 at 8:53pm     
Alison Silves
I would do something between the floor and the wall with the fireplace to prevent people from stumbling down that step. Perhaps a narrow table either side of the fireplace? You can decorate it with clunky iron candle holders and tall vases. Or even just a bench, anything to fill in that gap.

Are you going to stay with the bright local colors (i.e. pink and blue trim)? If so, a neutral settee with plants and the white curtains mpoulsom suggested with splashes of bright pillows and some local artwork. I have some amazing metre high masks I picked up for near pennies in Telaquepaque just outside of Guadalajara, does Argentina have a town like that?

Definitely remove the appliances.
December 20, 2012 at 10:22pm     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey

the room looks fine.. Try adding more of plants, artefacts, mirror, paintings to the room. let the rustic look of the walls be there.
add cane furniture or some good outdoor furniture (which ever is available in your area).
just paint the walls off white
add white sheer curtains.
try to make it more colorful and RETRO

pls check the attach pic in my Houzz page - we have done something similar in INDIA

Regards
December 20, 2012 at 10:34pm     
Susan Shaffer
Is there a step down to the fireplace? Or is it some artifact of the photo? What is on the floor in front of the fireplace? Is it a rug or tiling?
December 21, 2012 at 12:00am     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, sheers or thin curtains in natural colors would be nice for this situation. Cheery Curtains has lots of sheers and curtains that you may like and here attached are some photos.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 21, 2012 at 1:35am     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Carlos,
You are very lucky to have such a beautiful space to play with!
I would recommend painting the brick walls, and installing a sandy white engineered hardwood flooring. (which is a floating floor material so can be installed over your current brick flooring)
I would also consider "solar shades" for your window treatments. Simple, yet functional!
All this being said, please keep in mind that painting brick is considered fairly permanent. It can be removed, but your brick will never be quite the same. So it has to be something you REALLY want to do!!!
Good luck with your renovation and have fun!!! Please let me know when you after "after" photos to share!!!
Caroline
December 21, 2012 at 5:15am     
montereygirl
Definitely keep the brick floor.How about extending the level of the brick floor to the front of the fireplace.It looks kind of dangerous as it is now. How often do you use/need a fire place where you live? I bet you could still use it after extending the floor. I wouldn't cover the floor w/anything permanent (IE:wall to wall carpet) since you say this room is close to a swimming pool. I like the idea of solor panels on the windows to help block the sun. I would keep the decorating comfy casual but at the same time water proof. Lots of beautiful Sunbrella fabrics available.
December 21, 2012 at 11:48am     
Aja Mazin
What a great room!
December 21, 2012 at 12:20pm     
Natasha
Thank you so much to you all, all your ideas are great!!! Well, I've already took some decisions...
I'm going to paint white the brick wall and the pink window, and in the skirting board above the fireplace I'm putting a stone pattern (I'm not sure if I spelt it well). Then I'm taking the freezer to another place of the house... And I loved the idea of the "Mosaic tile decoration above the windows" and I will hardly decide between those bamboo curtains or twig style. And the one of the colored chairs, and the chandeliers, too! When it's finished i'll upload some photos..
December 23, 2012 at 12:37pm     
More Discussions
Do you like this project?
If you like and please share it to your formal space.Thanks....
House Exterior and Front Yard Need a Facelift - Ideas?
We've just purchased this house, and I really hate...
Keep it or Cover it?
We found this sign, originally painted in 1891, behind...
HOW to get an UPDATED COTTAGE LOOK??
We are considering purchasing this home. It is in...
Vanity Sizing Issue: HELP
So I am taking out a bathtub that is in between the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.