Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Chandelier Suggestions
nly04
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We need a moderately priced chandelier for our new dining room. Our new dining room is larger than our current one and the ceiling is 9 feet. The floors are also dark. I think our style for this room is going to be traditional. All suggestions are welcomed.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
Your furniture is leaning toward Victorian, so you need something dressy to compliment it. Then temper it down with a rug. It is hard to get a true vision from your pix, but consider painting your walls a darker color. In the browns. Modern Doodle Hand Tufted Rug Shabby Vintage Metal Crystal Chandelier
December 20, 2012 at 3:27pm     
Darzy
Here's a pretty one. And I love judyg's rug choice.

December 20, 2012 at 3:41pm     
judianna20
I like Darzy's choice better than mine. It really has that Victorian look and is not as heavy as the one I posted.. Still like my rug :>)
December 20, 2012 at 3:45pm     
feeny
And I like both of your chandeliers AND the rug. I'd probably choose a rug with more of a pattern only to hide stains better, but I think judy's would look better than the ones I'd pick.
December 20, 2012 at 3:49pm     
judianna20
No, feeny, I want to see what you would pick :>) I can get into a monochromatic thing and it might be boring. Need some comparisons. nly04's furniture is more formal than we usually see here and something great can be done with this room. nly04, do you have another chair?
December 20, 2012 at 3:57pm   
decoenthusiaste
Does anyone like this one? Not so frou-frou, I'm thinking.

December 20, 2012 at 3:59pm     
judianna20
deco, I have this chandy in my master bathroom. It is a great light for the price.
December 20, 2012 at 4:01pm   
Darzy
I do like that chandy deco! For this space, I'd like over the top. Here's a rug thought.

December 20, 2012 at 4:04pm     
Manon Floreat
Oh what fun! I love all of the selections so far. I'd like to join in with one more. This one's from Wisteria and is less than $300. I like that it's on the simple side, allowing the intricate furnishings to hold the focus of the room.
December 20, 2012 at 4:13pm     
feeny
Okay judy, here goes: maybe something like this in similar tones as yours, but slightly darker and more patterned to hide spills:

December 20, 2012 at 4:13pm     
judianna20
nly04, look at what you have started! :>) What about a wall color? I don't think nly04's new dining room is the one she posted.

December 20, 2012 at 4:23pm     
nly04
With the help of an interior decorator, I selected SW 6130-Mannered Gold and SW 6394 Sequin for our dining room. I have not purchased the paint but I am hoping that I can rag the walls using a combination of the two paints. The Mannered Gold is a little bit more yellowish that the color swatch. Originally, I had wanted to use a shade of blue on the wall but we could not find a blue that complimented our kitchen. It was painted with BM Rosemary Sprigs paint. I hope this additional information is helpful. By the way, I took the other chair to our new home. I thought it would help the decorator better define my style.
December 20, 2012 at 4:54pm   
Darzy
Love that rug feeny and judyg's sparkling chandy.
December 20, 2012 at 5:02pm     
nly04
Thank you for your suggestions. I really like the chandeliers posted by judyg and darzy. The sage rug is lovely too. I am concerned that my furniture and the light fixture (possibly one of the ones suggested or a similar one) along with my wall color mannered gold and sequin are too similar. I tried to post the color swatches earlier but I failed. Any suggestions on how to make this work would be appreciated.
December 21, 2012 at 5:46am   
lessismoore
Here are the paint samples. Of course, who knows what they really look like :-). That said, I wouldn't worry about it being too monochromatic. You still have room for a buffet, table and buffet decor, paintings - many opportunities to make (and change) a color statement.
December 21, 2012 at 8:40am   
nly04
Ooh! Thanks for postng color swatches. The sequin does look peachy. I'm not sure now if it is going to work.
December 21, 2012 at 9:46am   
emma0217
nyl04 - my advice would be to bring your SW color numbers to home depot and get a couple of their $2 paint samples tinted (Sherwin's paint samples are unnecessarily large and expensive!). If you paint a big piece of posterboard with your paint samples and hang them in your dining room it'll be a lot easier to tell what the colors will be. I know it was hard to like the colors we got from our decorator from those tiny swatches but In the end she picked well and we love all the colors.I think the colors you're debating are pretty and complement the green nicely.
December 21, 2012 at 9:54am     
PRO
Fratantoni Luxury Estates
@Nyl04

It depends on your budget but these Chandeliers are surprisingly not that expensive!

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays
Vince Fratantoni
480-650-0223
December 21, 2012 at 9:57am   
lessismoore
Nyl04 , emma0217 has the right idea - between my monitor colors and yours could be a huge difference - also I put the green up there purely as you mentioned it as in your kitchen - but, how much do you actually see of it when in the dining room? Greens, next to anything will "up" whatever level of the red tones are there. So, on my end, not so peachy as to be a problem. From your photo it is harder for me to determine the color of your dinette set - I'm assuming "cream?" with a beige upholstery? JudyG's pick seem to have a grayish undertone (cooler) while the other picks have more gold or metallic tones (warmer). What color are you planning to use for your trim?
I think with your chandelier, little shades might be nice on the branches of whatever you choose (should you go with that style).
Traditional Chandeliers design by Other Metro Lighting Fixtures Lamps Plus
December 21, 2012 at 10:52am   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
This chandelier from Artcraft lighting is only around $330 and very nice
December 21, 2012 at 12:58pm   
nly04
Thanks Emma for reassuring me about the colors. Purchasing the samples from Home Depot is a great idea. The decorator said the chairs are more of a taupe color. The trim is going to be BM White Dove. We are using it throughout the house.
December 21, 2012 at 1:29pm   
nly04
I have some great styles to choose from. Thank you all for the great suggestions
December 21, 2012 at 1:32pm     
nly04
Okay. I purchased the samples from HD of the Sequin and Mannered Gold. I did like the Mannered Gold but I don't think it is the right color for our dining room. Actually, I think I would like more drama. I also decided not to rag it either. JudyG suggested that I select a color in the browns. I am open to most any color as long as it compliments our adjacent green kitchen (Rosemary Sprigs-BM).
December 30, 2012 at 11:02am   
lessismoore
The photo is too funny! At first, I though you were posting an "idea" photo - and this idea looked far, far away from your formal dining. So, I'm assuming this is the "Prepped for painting" look in your new dining room in the new home. (let it be so!) You can work an incredible transformation here.
If your dinette set is indeed more of a taupe, what about a tone of that? This is a bedroom, but the furnishing, crystal chandeliers, etc. remind me of your dining suite a bit? http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/rooms-by-color/ethereal-bedroom-elegance
And look at the rug there - it has a lovely greenish-gray tone
December 30, 2012 at 11:29am   
nly04
I actually posted the wrong picture. I have not figured out how to delete photos yet. This is a better picture but you will probably find it to be funny too.
December 30, 2012 at 11:37am     
lessismoore
You may want to take a look at this discussion - paint made a huge transformation. You might enjoy the before and after pix. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/247261
December 30, 2012 at 11:58am   
nly04
Thanks
December 30, 2012 at 12:13pm     
nly04
I googled a complimentary color for Rosemary Sprig and I was led to the BM website. Sienna and Branchport Brown are listed on two different swatches. Sienna is interesting because my countertops are Sienna Bordeaux. The Branchport does seem to have the drama I want. Our dining room is 18 x 13. I believe it is large enough but I'm just not sure if I can select the decor to make it work.
December 30, 2012 at 12:44pm   
lanton1
An idea that I have seen would be to do two smaller chandeliers spaced above the table. Its a great and different look
December 30, 2012 at 12:51pm     
nly04
Thanks
December 30, 2012 at 1:17pm   
lessismoore
Lovely granite. The branchport brown is very deep. I think they are suggesting it more as a trim or accent with the Rosemary. And their "Sienna" is more ... brick? I saw something the other day with a lovely room done up in Etruscan Red, a fascinating red/brown (what I think of as closer to a real sienna :-)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KQHaMgtgVnw/UB63IwY326I/AAAAAAAARaw/5KsnXw5eV9w/s1600/3_1285772568_ED_0407_Kutner_6.jpg

Just not sure how well this (or either) would work with your dinette set.
How much of the Rosemary do you see from the dining room?

One color combo I did like was the pairing of the branchport brown with a lilac shade and pale yellow-cream color.
December 30, 2012 at 2:13pm   
nly04
You really don't see much of it from the dining room. It is just the only color that I have selected for the first floor besides the BM-White Dove which we are using throughout the house. I want there to be a nice flow throughout the house but I don't want the rooms to be painted the same colors. You can see the kitchen from the den/breakfast area. I also have to select colors for the den/breakfast area, foyer and living room too.
December 30, 2012 at 2:26pm   
nly04
Thank you for the visual
December 30, 2012 at 2:32pm     
lessismoore
What a lot of decisions ... Well this is soooo rudimentary. but I just had to try out the Brown.
I put a rug the same color as the Rosemary paint - but I don't know. I was sort of (in my mind) thinking that a Mauve gray, almost a lilac, but more gray, might really be nice with your taupe dining set and look nice (I love sage and purple/lilac juxtaposed - but that's me) with the both the brown and the Rosemary Sprig kitchen. A bit more daring than a green/red scheme we've all seen before?
So, maybe more to the point ... What color is the china you would be using? That might be a key to unlock a color combo you really love.
December 30, 2012 at 7:40pm     
nly04
Thank you for the visual. One of the decorators suggested gray but I was not in favor of it. I did not think it would work well with the blue picture I was going to use as my inspiration. Now that I have changed my mind about the picture, the gray is a viable choice. As for china, I am not sure. The only nice china I have is from our wedding registry. That was exactly 19 years ago. Our anniversary is today. But, that is a great idea. I could shop for some new china and use the colors in the china. By the way, I love the chandelier.
December 30, 2012 at 9:58pm   
lessismoore
Happy Anniversary! I'm lucky enough to have 2 sets ;-) Both are different and have, so I can fill them in with different key colors, linens, glass ware, chargers ... . I Hope you find a new inspiration (and white never goes out of style ). The chandelier is the one Judyg posted in the first post.
Here is the link - it is available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Crystal-CHANDELIER-electric-antique/dp/B000V0BDTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356935604&sr=8-1&keywords=Shabby+Vintage+Metal+Crystal+Chandelier
December 30, 2012 at 10:34pm