powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas for furniture arrangement in this long living room?
Lee Ann Burkhart Interiors
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Do you think I should have two separate sitting areas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:31PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
What about replacing the cream colored sofa for a settee? That would help to visually tie in the fireplace space. I see ur style is more mod/contemporary, but I think u have the idea....good luck!!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 9:36PM
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

the living area is spacious and looks great
please have coffee table and two chairs near the fire place. While near the TV area you have more relax sitting with good centre table.
try to enhance the look by adding artefacts, paintings, mirrors etc
have good rug below the centre table (colorful)

regards
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:13PM
Christie Massi
Perhaps if you paint out the fireplace to match the walls or trim it won't need to be the focal point and you can keep your furniture around the bookshelves. I'd paint the bookshelves and fireplace the same as the trim.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:17PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
I think the sectional sofa will be good decision for your long living room. The generous plush seating with high back cushions and deep seats featuring a modern tufted look. http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/harlow-contemporary-microfiber-and-faux-leather-sectional-sofa
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 10:30PM
charleee
You have two ceiling fans, so it looks like the room was meant to be divided into two sections. Two recliners and one side table between them near the fireplace, with good lighting, will make for a cozy reading spot. For the furniture in front of the tv, it looks too close, can you back it up a bit?
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 3:22AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Yes... you should have 2 sitting areas. Take a moment to stand at your door and look at your room as a first time guest would - this perspective sometimes helps determine a room's function. What do people see/feel when they walk in to your living room?
Your fireplace area can be determined by an area rug, 2 comfortable chairs facing the fireplace, and a small table for drinks, etc. This lends itself to an intimate area for conversation, reading and relaxing. If you want to use your existing couches then I would put your white couch facing the fireplace and add a comfy chair.
Your TV viewing area should also have its own area rug (doesn't have to match the fireplace rug but should complement it in colour and style.) Again if you plan to keep your couches I would suggest your black couch for this area - with a few more chairs as well
As you browse through Houzz you'll see many living rooms with 2 sitting areas that have been defined by simply putting couches back to back - that would work in your living room.
I agree with the above comment re: your fireplace - it would look better painted or enhanced in some way.
Note re: area rugs - the furniture should sit on them - or at least the front legs. Too small area rugs make the room/area appear smaller.
Have fun

0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 8:43AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Back to back matching sofas with a sofa table between will divide the room nicely. On the fire place side 2 small comfortable chairs and an ottoman used as a coffee table so you can kick back and put your feet up to relax. In the TV area add two club chairs facing the TV and a day bed type piece parallel with the sofa will give you a place to sit or lay down while keeping an open feel to the room. A square or large round coffee table would be good in this area. An area rug in each will divide the rooms. I have done this with one long area rug to keep them tied together which looks great also.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 8:56AM