powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help updating my 90's living room.
kk55
December 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband loves the print sofa/loveseat. I want to keep the sofa and update the room. It is starting to feel grannyish. I dont know how to do this. I like eclectic and would like to add a touch of animal print if possible. My ceilings are 25 ft high but the floor space is small. I need help......
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Manon Floreat
hi, kk55. Two things you can do to update the room a bit is to change the window treatments to something more streamlined and remove the rug from under the table. Your window treatments look to be of good quality, but the cascading ruffles do look a little formal.

I'd remove the speakers and place the end table you have flush against the right side of the sofa. On the left side a ceramic garden stool.

I think you can incorporate some animal print with accessories. A leopard print try as a centerpiece for your table topped with candles would lend a touch of the exotique! And be in keeping with your eclectic leanings.

Others will be along with more ideas. Can't wait to hear them!
December 20, 2012 at 9:28pm     
kk55
Thanks so much.. what window treatments would work? Do i need an area rug at all? Wondering
December 20, 2012 at 9:55pm   
kk55
Thanks Darcy, my pictures are deceiving, the colors are plum and green.. remember the eggplant era? The tables are Oriental Chippendale in mahogany wood- if that helps at all... ready to ditch the drapes.
December 20, 2012 at 10:12pm   
PRO
Dexter Sykes
December 20, 2012 at 10:15pm   
Manon Floreat
Nice examples and thoughtful suggestions by Darzy.

Regarding the window treatments, I think simple panels over a bamboo shade would look great. Since the room is small, I'd go for a curtain color that matches the wall. They'll recede that way but still provide texture and softness.

If you want to have an area rug, go for low contrast in terms of color and make sure that the edge fits under the front legs of all the furniture. Perhaps a jute or seagrass with subtle patterning. I think round would be interesting and underline the eclecticism of the space. The natural fiber will also reference the bamboo shade - if you go that route.

December 20, 2012 at 10:34pm     
Darzy
kk55..I deleted my samples since photos deceiving..rethinking. Oh yes..I remember the plum! : ) For a streamlined look how about matchstick blinds for your window treatments. A simple sisal area rug (5 x 8) and zebra print accent pillows.

December 20, 2012 at 10:37pm   
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Hi! If you don't update your furniture, your room will be looks like grannyish =) We have inexpensive sofa sets. Just look and you will not lose your time http://www.furniturenyc.net/sofa-sets.html
December 20, 2012 at 11:01pm   
lucindalane
Does your husband like the print, or just the fact that maybe he feels that the sofa is comfy? If he just likes the sofa because its comfortable, then maybe you could slipcover the sofa and loveseat.
December 20, 2012 at 11:49pm     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, when looking at your sofa, I would be glad to recommend some nice curtains form Cheery Curtains. Please see the attachment.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 21, 2012 at 2:29am   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Just following my last post and add some more curtain designs that you may like.
December 21, 2012 at 2:38am   
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
All the suggestions are really good ones! The problem will be keeping the sofa--it really screams the 1980s! Maybe you could camouflage it with some big (20") pillows and an artfully placed throw?
December 21, 2012 at 4:03am     
feeny
Like lucindalane, I was going to suggest slipcovers as I suspect hubby likes the comfort of the sofa but might not care about the fabric? Or do you have that rare husband that likes floral prints? (Mine has vetoed them in our decorating, which I'm fine with).
December 21, 2012 at 4:17am   
kk55
You people are amazing! I would have never thought of this stuff. My husband had the sofa custom made, he picked the fabric and it is comfy.....thus, working around it... I was hoping this would be possible with an eclectic mix of stuff that could tone it down... added textures, prints, funky lamps etc to make it look purposefully this way.. (stretch I know). He is a great guy so I am trying to compromise. I have included pictures of the antique lamp and painting on the far wall... open to all ideas..I like the bamboo window ideas and sisel rug suggestions.. Bless you all...really...
December 21, 2012 at 8:05am   
Darzy
Try this and repost. (The floral loveseat print is fighting with the brick).
1. Remove the area rug, curtains and speakers and all small accessories.
2. Center the sofa on the window and put the floor lamp on the left of the sofa.
3. Put the side table on the right of the sofa and the loveseat on the opposite wall that it is now.
4. Put the small wood arm chairs together on the brick wall with a small table between them.
Then, post the pictures of the entire room and I'm sure Houzzers can help you tweak, suggest accessories, rugs, art, etc to get the look you want!
This may be too much to do with Christmas so soon so we may "see" you later! Merry Christmas!
December 21, 2012 at 2:38pm   
kk55
Bless you. I will do it next week and repost..
December 21, 2012 at 2:47pm     
roomi
Yes I agree get rid of the small rug and a color of cow hide called light brindle might work instead.http://www.amazon.com/Linon-Rugs-Natural-Cowhide-Brindle/dp/B0043QO2O2.
I'm not a fan of see through coffee tables. I find them a bit unsettling, but maybe a jigsaw of snow leopards would be fun to have in progress on it.
December 21, 2012 at 10:31pm   
kk55
I removed the accesories from the room, took off the swag valance from the drapes as suggested-- and here is what I have left.. Thinking eclectic, British colonial/ out of Africa sort of look.... maybe I had too much eggnog and am not thinking clearly... is this possible? Ilike the suggestions of jute rug, animal print and matchstick blinds... I have no idea how to put it together and make it work..clueless..
Also model homes have short rods on the sides for the nonclosing permanent curtains that I have never seen in stores..Would those work for me...
December 30, 2012 at 12:35pm   
lauraallen9
Not sure what, but I would add something on the wall behind the love seat.
December 30, 2012 at 1:17pm   
quincyboy1
You did a GREAT job with rearranging the furniture. Looks MUCH better. The sofa should be centered under the window, however. I would move the floor lamp to the opposite side of that sofa, and in it's place put a square side table that fits in between the sofa and loveseat, and then put a smaller lamp on it. Instead of the mirror, think about a nice art piece there, hung proportionately to whatever lamp you choose. I would also take out the single chair by the stairs, since it looks too crowded in that space. I would also change the curtains, and use a neutral color which would match the wall color (if you don't plan on repainting). I wouldn't get anything that uses tiebacks, and would just have a straight panel on either side of the large window (like the model homes that you noted). You could have some contemporary blinds that would give you privacy at night. Then bring in your accessories and your done. Good job !!
December 30, 2012 at 1:44pm   
josiedolly
Wow, your transformation is amazing! I like seeing your before and after, I would get one of your speakers and put it in the corner by the staircase with a tall arrangement on it. I would go with more greenery than flowers. And just drape the speaker with material you like to camaflouge it. (maybe dark brown to go with the mahagony wood) Then behind your love seat put a picture of an African landscape with animals you like. In the corner with the lamp, maybe try a tall plant there. (silk or live plant) Keep up the Good Work! :)
December 30, 2012 at 1:44pm   
decoenthusiaste
Looking great! I think the brick wall is a little closer than we expected. It needs a slender table (do I spy one in your foyer?) with your mirror hung vertically above it and just the one little chair from the stairwell angled beside it. Then you'll have room to center the sofa in the window and the loveseat on its wall. That won't leave any place for two chairs, but maybe they'll work in the dining room. If you can't find short curtain rods you can install hand towel bars. You just have to put the panels on the before you finish the last screws, and if you need to clean curtains you'll have to unscrew the bars to get the curtains off. Instead of mounting them with the screws on the bottom as you would in a bath, turn them so they are hidden on top.
December 30, 2012 at 2:26pm     
Darzy
It would be "fun" to throw in a couple of these pillows in the mix. A bit of a "bloom" pillows. Pink? Soft blue? These are reasonable prices.

December 30, 2012 at 3:21pm   
Manon Floreat
k55! It's looking so good!
December 30, 2012 at 3:32pm     
Darzy
Since you are keeping the floral, I'd stick with nature and natural elements. The woven matchstick blinds for the window treatment and how about a set of botanical prints above the loveseat? Or, ocean scene, or horse? I think you need some sparkle as well, like silver candlesticks for the coffee table.

December 30, 2012 at 3:46pm   
stuntchick
slip cover the sofa's but take one away. too much furniture. paint end table and coffee table a glossy black. then add your animal print zebra pillows. neutral slip covers, of course
February 10, 2014 at 12:09pm